Help! Buying online help

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I'm not really after the opinion of a trades men. That's why I'm on a community forum. (I am on a community forum aren't I...?). Also as I mentioned, half your bikes aren't in stock. What I'm after is an unbiased, experienced person to just send me a link for a good deal which would suit my needs, (for a bike in stock/ available to buy). I'm 6'2 ,13 stone, and want to commute up and over a hill without getting sweaty for 20 mins. Whould like to be able to go about 20 mph up hill (for days when running late). I'll then ride home for exercise after work coz I can shower at home. Budget £1-1.5k. Happy to buy from a dealer but would need to unrestricted the speed. If ebay bafang mid drive is best then happy with that. I just don't know what is a good deal or not. I plead and put my faith in the community. I'm going insane searching. Please help
Dave you will have to accept a few hard facts, you won't get a legal e bike from a dealer in the UK that will go up hills at 20mph. I doubt you would get an Illegal one from a dealer either.
It would be difficult to build a kit e bike that will go up hills at 20mph. I have a 48v 500w Bafang kit that will do 28mph on the flat but i doubt it will do more than 15mph uphill and that is with 900w available and me adding to the mix, albeit i'm a couple of stone heavier than you.
I think you will need a mid drive like a BBSHD + 52v battery which will give you about 1200/1500w, which would probably do it. You have to source a hard tail mtb donor bike that you are comfy on. Then a get a builder who will supply and fit a BBSHD motor or read up and do it yourself, your budget should be enough depending on what you spend on the donor bike.
Try Tony's website he has built lots of Bafang mid drives and would give you advice to achieve what you are looking for

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will do what you want and the right size frame make a £800 offer and cash on collection.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is this a good deal? Quite close to me so could collect
it's not a good bike.
It has a heavy direct drive motor, exposed wiring, rides like a motorbike, is inefficient on hills because it lacks a reduction gearbox, hard to pedal without power because it lacks a clutch unit.
Direct drive motors are good for motoring fast on flat roads which is clearly illegal.
Another issue is which cells are in the battery.
Samsung and Panasonic cells are expensive for good reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why dont you make bikes with the bafang mid drive whoosh as there is a big market and you can fit 250w motors and then up to them to get the programming cable cant see it being a problem if you dont sell that item.

at the end of the day it is costing you a fortune in profit and it is not like anyone else gives a crap anymore just give the customer what they want and you will be rewarded.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
at the end of the day it is costing you a fortune in profit and it is not like anyone else gives a crap anymore just give the customer what they want and you will be rewarded.
You know very well that if something bad happens, the insurance companies will go after whoever can pay in their place. Too much hassle for a few sales and anyhow, I much prefer making e-bikes that can still be ridden without power.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yet halfords sell scooters for kids to use i can buy what i like on the internet martin can fit dongles and still honer the warranty ect ect.

i can buy a chain saw from b and q are they liable if i run down the road with it and chop ppls heads off no!

and get this i seen a Deliveroo rider on one of these with the box on there back pmsl fkn food will be stone cold!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
fitting a dongle is different. The bike has been used so there is no clear law regarding retrofitting any add-on such as dongle. When I make a bike, I supply certificate of conformity to EN15194, affix its sticker and have to have product liability insurance. Martin does not do any of this, he does not manufacture anything, he has no worries about product liability insurance.
Suppose the OP buys a 1000W bike from me, his brakes fail and he hurts himself. His lawyers will be onto me like a rash.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fitting a dongle is different. The bike has been used so there is no clear law regarding retrofitting any add-on such as dongle. When I make a bike, I supply certificate of conformity to EN15194, affix its sticker and have to have product liability insurance. Martin does not do any of this, he does not manufacture anything, he has no worries about product liability insurance.
Suppose the OP buys a 1000W bike from me, his brakes fail and he hurts himself. His lawyers will be onto me like a rash.
you buy parts from china and assemble them and put a sticker on it good for you but i will still be able to bypass the speed limit like every other bike bar mine cos i need a 3rd party dongle.

i get where you are coming from but it is costing you money at the end of the day im sure you could pump out 250w bafang mid drives out at 1500 quid per bike on mass just from the ppl wanting delivery ebikes and speedy service!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
would anyone buy a ebike that was limited to 15.5mph ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
You know very well that if something bad happens, the insurance companies will go after whoever can pay in their place. Too much hassle for a few sales and anyhow, I much prefer making e-bikes that can still be ridden without power.
Not just the obvious insurance issue, imagine an accident caused by an illegal bike that a particular company had sold. It could be round social media in minutes and business ruined;

"Illegal bike sold by xxxxxxx causes serious accident".

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
What do you suggest? I would go with the NCM Moscow because I can derestrict, but it is out of stock. I need a bike that matches my criteria and is in stock. If you have a recommendation, then please say.
Did you read post #41 on this thread? It pretty much tells you what you need to match your criteria.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you go the BBSHD route, a 48v set will cost about £1200. Don't skimp on the battery or you'll be buying another one very soon. You need one than can give 25 amps continuously. You'll also need the gear sensor to avoid smashing your derailleur and gears. I fitted a 52v version several years ago. Total cost was about £1300 direct from Hong Kong. You should look or a donor bike with a strong triangulated frame and hydraulic disc brakes - normally about £150 - £250 used or around £400 new. Try and get one with decent front suspension. It makes a big differnce when you go over 20 mph.

Personally, if I were going the kit route, I'd get a 48v 328 rpm Q128 and 20 amp KT controller and a suitable 48v battery. The total price would be about £700 to £800 and it gives a much more reliable and durable system with lower running costs and a better riding experience. You can fit that to a cheap MTB with cheap gears.

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
If you go the BBSHD route,

Personally, if I were going the kit route, I'd get a 48v 328 rpm Q128 and 20 amp KT controller
Okay, so I've googled what all the acronyms etc mean... :confused:, and it seems you are advocating getting a rear wheel drive rather than a mid-drive motor..?

I've found some local custom ebike build shops so I'm going to email them to ask if they can build me a bike to those specs.

"ebike with a 48v 328 rpm Q128 and 20 amp KT controller and a suitable 48v battery, with a strong triangulated frame and hydraulic disc brakes and decent front suspension for a 6'2 rider".

Does all that sound okay (as you've already guessed, I'm a complete novice with bikes)

Seems some of the shops I can claim on my 'ride to work scheme' so will get it at a bit of a discount hopefully.

Thanks for you help

Davetaff

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2021
Personally, if I were going the kit route, I'd get a 48v 328 rpm Q128 and 20 amp KT controller and a suitable 48v battery. The total price would be about £700 to £800 and it gives a much more reliable and durable system with lower running costs and a better riding experience. You can fit that to a cheap MTB with cheap gears.
Does this not fit the bill?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does this not fit the bill?
No, read again what VFR400 posted on this link

and two of us agreed with. He's right, that sort of direct drive motor is good for speed but not for climbing and you'll soon fall out of love with the way it works.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015