Cargo-Bike selfmade

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The Carry Freedom trailer - OOF what a price, especially if youu compare iot to the type for carrying 2 kids which are priced around the £150-200 mark. Just buy one of those and take the canopy off to give you the same flatbed option.

It's almost got me reaching for my credit card...
I'd wait until it is actually in production and a few reviews have come back. Some makers have unreasonable expectations of the level of profit they want for themselves and as such some projects despite meeting the financial funding targets never get off the ground.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'd wait until it is actually in production and a few reviews have come back. Some makers have unreasonable expectations of the level of profit they want for themselves and as such some projects despite meeting the financial funding targets never get off the ground.
Too true - often, winged pigs.

"The delivery time is currently 3 months from receipt of order. "

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I paid £135 for my CF large Y via ebay 3 - 4years ago, one has to keep an eye out and nab a bargain.
One was on there a fortnight ago and failed to sell at £100, I should have nabbed it and sold it on for a profit but didn't. The seller relisted it this week and it fetched £227, they come up now and then.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I paid £135 for my CF large Y via ebay 3 - 4years ago, one has to keep an eye out and nab a bargain.
One was on there a fortnight ago and failed to sell at £100, I should have nabbed it and sold it on for a profit but didn't. The seller relisted it this week and it fetched £227, they come up now and then.
I'll look out for one - trouble is, sellers of bikes and trailers often don't offer postal delivery. Capacity of 90kg honey is a lot! Honey is pretty dense though, 90kg might not take up as much space as I'm imagining.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The CF is different as it is collapsible so all fits in a a box easily to transport, 80cm x 60cm x 20cm is plenty to fit one in. If buying one make sure it has the bike hitch as well and there are two sizes small & large. Typically about £15 - £25 covers postage.

A large CF would carry 4 bags of sand or many bags of compost.
90kg of honey though would be in combs within the honey boxes transported from the apiary so space/loading tends to be vertical.
I am current making a new floor for my CF and replacing the 700 long x 500 wide floor with a 1000 x 500 floor, this will allow me not to carry more weight but to even the load out better in two stacks for lower C of G rather then one tall one that could topple on a kerb or pot hole. Two stacks at 24" high is better then one single heavy stack 3 - 4 feet high.

Also a larger crate /box can carry more shopping then the two bagful's one can only get in panniers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A large CF would carry 4 bags of sand or many bags of compost.
That sounds perfect! Also veg from my garden, which this year is a few multiples of 90kg!

I am current making a new floor for my CF and replacing the 700 long x 500 wide floor with a 1000 x 500 floor, this will allow me not to carry more weight but to even the load out better in two stacks for lower C of G rather then one tall one that could topple on a kerb or pot hole. Two stacks at 24" high is better then one single heavy stack 3 - 4 feet high.
The one they supply looks like a sheet of heavily lacquered marine ply. My concern would be that 300mm extra length would add leverage to lift the back wheel, as heavy honey tilts the platform on bumpy roads, or make bees seasick.

Also a larger crate /box can carry more shopping then the two bagful's one can only get in panniers.
Box section aluminium bolted together, faced off with cheap 2mm alu sheet, painted bright yellow, big handles? I've got pop rivets on the brain at the moment, thinking about making a waterproof aerodynamic box for my rear rack battery, with a big yellow fin.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Currently the load board position overhang position to the axle is 2/3's to the front to counter balance weight distribution, the new board will follow suit so any rear load is biased to the fore of the axle. My new board will be the same adding an extra 100mm to the rear and 200 to the front.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The CF's are quite adaptable one can tow canoes /kayaks with these things via extended tow bars.

If you want ideas for towing one will see flecc's diy made ladder trailer and not did he tow this trailer but two trailers at once.
trailers (flecc.uk)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The CF's are quite adaptable one can tow canoes /kayaks with these things via extended tow bars.

If you want ideas for towing one will see flecc's diy made ladder trailer and not did he tow this trailer but two trailers at once.
trailers (flecc.uk)
Flecc's trailer looks amazing!

It's worth spending enough for a decent trailer, when you have a valuable cargo like honey - or you could end up in a very sticky situation. My veg is worth far less. You could soak plywood in hot beeswax to waterproof? But that might separate the layers of wood.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Slight resurrection of an older thread esp as the 8 Freight is part of the thread.

It's innovative designer and British engeineer Mike Burrows sadly passed away yesterday, the likes of his bike designs we will probably not see again.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Slight resurrection of an older thread esp as the 8 Freight is part of the thread.

It's innovative designer and British engeineer Mike Burrows sadly passed away yesterday, the likes of his bike designs we will probably not see again.
Sorry to learn that Neal, a sad loss of a uniquely talented man.

Not enough people know that Mike Burrows was not only responsible for 'Rat-Catcher' recumbent racing cycles, he was the designer of the cutting edge Lotus racing bike that carried Chris Boardman to a seminal Olympic gold medal in Barcelona 1992.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Originally I posted the news in the 'General chat' sub forum but not many look in there so felt to post on the wider forum.

Also bought the compact TCR road bike to the market as a designer for Giant bikes and revolutionised that market.
The D2 lightweight thin non folding small 20" wheel bike was another concept no major player took up and probably one of the most understated bikes designed. Ideal for commuting and flat dwellers, it coul dsit against a wall taking up less space then a radiator.
Yes the Lotus 108 took the world by storm.
Also designed the lightweight Windcheetah recumbent trike with the CF monococque chassis.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Originally I posted the news in the 'General chat' sub forum but not many look in there so felt to post on the wider forum.
Thanks Neal, I missed that, hence the information duplication.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For some odd reason posts from that subforum do not show in 'New Posts' (https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts), and there's very little there anyway. Since I got fed up with Brexit, for once some facts I've given up monitoring it; and maybe many others have too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For some odd reason posts from that subforum do not show in 'New Posts' (https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/whats-new/posts), and there's very little there anyway. Since I got fed up with Brexit, for once some facts I've given up monitoring it; and maybe many others have too.
General Chat seems to attract a lot of spam too, often with fake ID's posting to themselves as different people.

For such reasons the administrators long ago stopped it updating in New Posts, leaving that just for the Cycling fora.

But posted traffic is what web sites need to attract advertising. so they hang onto General Chat while there still a flow of traffic there.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I look in there occasionally to see if I have missed any genral posts, but try and piggy back off a main forum topic as posts do go unseen in that sub forum.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

This is very sad news.

As with his favourite novelist, the late great Douglas Adams, I do hope someone discovers half-finished designs in a drawer somewhere, and makes new Burroughs bikes.

Perhaps bikes like the 8freight you almost bought a few months ago, will increase in value?

Last edited: