Cargo-Bike selfmade

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I find it hard to believe that this (rear) cargo bike weighs only 20kg:

But it looks ready for a BBS0x kit. The basket surely would make it more than 20kg...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Truck bed?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Do you park these by the side of the road and hope no drunken scrot wrecks it or do we need to lease a garage ?

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most of the designs are poor for proper cargo use with the rider seated so far back, riding with the kids up front is mental and putting them first in the line of fire in likely most accidents. Cargo or load carrying wise one needs any weight at the rear, one tows a trailer with weight at the rear.

I have only seen two bikes fit for purpose and both 20" wheels so C of G is low as possible.
The 8 Freight is genius and a simple clever low C of G cargo bike. Designed and made by Mike Burrows a foremost brilliant independent bike designer.
Mike Burrows is a fantastic bike designer but few have taken him on board, except Giant with his TCR bike design, he pioneered two CF track bikes which were eventually banned. The most famous was Boardman's gold medal bike he designed and made with Lotus.

The only other bike I would consider is the adaptable Circe Helios, very easy to convert from Tandy mode to cargo load with no cutting and shutting of the frame.

Both have advantages and both can be converted to ebike mode with a BBS or TSDZ2, the 8 Freight not so easy to hitch/tow a trailer but the Circe not an issue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I find it hard to believe that this (rear) cargo bike weighs only 20kg:
That's correct. the 8freight is a Mike Burrows design with his trademark single side forks on its two wheels, so weight saved in unexpected places.

Mike is a highly respected English bike designer who designed for Giant of Taiwan in the days when they were the world's largest bicycle manufacturer. Here's the folder he designed for Giant, single sided forks front and rear again, amusingly called the Halfway:

Giant-Halfway-Adult-Folding-Bike-Folding-Bikes-4U.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mike Burrows design of the 8 to reduce weight to save weight is clever. As Fleec mentioned the forks front and rear are single so a saving their of a few kg also no suspension. No exterior brakes they are all hub brakes so no exposure to weather using the 90mm sturmey archer hub/drum brakes.
A lot of his early 8's did suffer with weld fractures as his choice and use of decent alloys were restricted, the latter Taiwan built bikes used stronger better alloys.
The bike I believe is no longer in build by the Taiwanese so surprised no one else has taken on the mantle to produce them.

Everything about the design is minimal frame/forks simple brakes/ wheel sets all kept in one neat package, no calipers, rotors, brake mounts, a single front sprocket.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pedal & Post in Oxford operate a large fleet of 2 & 3 wheeled cargo bikes for their eco business, amongst their fleet are eight 8Freights' with over sized cargo boxes.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you park these by the side of the road and hope no drunken scrot wrecks it or do we need to lease a garage ?
No doubt nealh has ample space at his vast country estate for such looong bikes, but my garage is completely full of "I have no garage", therefore this flimsy looking contraption interests me:

But I'll probably get a Homcom folding bike trailer, which has capacity enough for me, that my ebike can cope with (when functional).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's correct. the 8freight is a Mike Burrows design with his trademark single side forks on its two wheels, so weight saved in unexpected places.

Mike is a highly respected English bike designer who designed for Giant of Taiwan in the days when they were the world's largest bicycle manufacturer. Here's the folder he designed for Giant, single sided forks front and rear again, amusingly called the Halfway:

View attachment 44473
20kg is amazing! (8freight) - but that basket must weigh at least 8kg.

The Giant Halfway hinge is worrying "It snapped":

Trying to track down it's actual weight was challenging: 12.1kg, similar to other light folders, but because of it's lack of supporting "Rebar", I won't be buying one.

It's a very good name, a great result from a group brainstorming session?

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have only seen two bikes fit for purpose and both 20" wheels so C of G is low as possible.
The 8 Freight is genius and a simple clever low C of G cargo bike. Designed and made by Mike Burrows a foremost brilliant independent bike designer.
The only other bike I would consider is the adaptable Circe Helios, very easy to convert from Tandy mode to cargo load with no cutting and shutting of the frame.
Is a decision ready for your chequebook? The Circe Helios looks sturdier, but I'm no bike frame designer.

Steel is easier to get welded than aluminium alloys, but it'd weigh a lot more of course.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Used helios are short on the ground, one just has to bide their time.
Once I buy a suitable bike I shall likely reduce my fleet of bikes by 2 or 3 and sell off some spare motors/kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a trailer Carryfreedom large which reduces to four component parts to save space, with a max 90kg payload it can carry the heavy/bulky beekeeping stuff I need to carry. What is more awkward is carrying the rest of my lighter weight gear easier.
Currently this is stuffed into two panniers and tied to the bike rack which isn't ideal.

I am now looking forward for my local transport needs where tbh a car isn't the way to go for me, a proper cargo solution will sort 95% of my transport needs out. The only part lacking is getting rid of my green matter once I have pruned, weeded and tied my estate up during the year, I currently take all to the local recycling centre and stuff the estate car up fully. Despite the so called 'green/recycling ethos' of the contractors they don't allow human cargo propelled vehicles which is very poor.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have a trailer Carryfreedom large which reduces to four component parts to save space, with a max 90kg payload it can carry the heavy/bulky beekeeping stuff I need to carry. What is more awkward is carrying the rest of my lighter weight gear easier.
Currently this is stuffed into two panniers and tied to the bike rack which isn't ideal.

I am now looking forward for my local transport needs where tbh a car isn't the way to go for me, a proper cargo solution will sort 95% of my transport needs out. The only part lacking is getting rid of my green matter once I have pruned, weeded and tied my estate up during the year, I currently take all to the local recycling centre and stuff the estate car up fully. Despite the so called 'green/recycling ethos' of the contractors they don't allow human cargo propelled vehicles which is very poor.
Looks well made:

...looks like bolting on a big box to carry everything (with compartments) might be a possibility? Plywood, aluminium tubing, nuts, bolts and pop rivets?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
with a max 90kg payload it can carry the heavy/bulky beekeeping stuff I need to carry.
If all that spilled, you'd be stuck in traffic!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I carry the heavy/bulky bits I need strapped directly to the base, for shopping or carrying smaller lighter loose goods I have a large lidded Plano container strapped down.
To keep the trailer collapsible for storage then the option for a permanent fixed box isn't good nor for carrying some thing over size. It all boils down to ones usage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I carry the heavy/bulky bits I need strapped directly to the base, for shopping or carrying smaller lighter loose goods I have a large lidded Plano container strapped down.

They're very good but not UV stabilised, at least the one I had wasn't - it shattered while I was carrying it, got a big cut on my hand. Any plywood would have to be very well waterproofed. I'm thinking of making a big box supported by wheels to use on my rear rack. By "Plan", I mean lazily speculate.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If all that spilled, you'd be stuck in traffic!
If a load spilled traffic will stuck in my wake, that's why I use straps to make sure all is secure. The most weight carried is about 100lbs up to 1m high.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
therefore this flimsy looking contraption interests me:
Thats a neat idea, I likes.
I can see there could be a lot of strain on that pivot, but reinforcement there I dont think that would really be a problem, and there will be a recommended weight limit.
All in all a very clever yet simple design, which are usually the best.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats a neat idea, I likes.
I can see there could be a lot of strain on that pivot, but reinforcement there I dont think that would really be a problem, and there will be a recommended weight limit.
All in all a very clever yet simple design, which are usually the best.
It's almost got me reaching for my credit card... but I'll try to make my rack wheeled box first (after I buy a Homcom)(and after my bike is fixed).