Change in e-bike legislation

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Hi folks well i will keep my throttle regardless of whatever law they may throw at us my e-bike was purchased to assist my ongoing battle with the bulge plus bad knees and chronic asthma my point being that when I'm on the verge of collapse that old throttle gets me home i would suspect that I'm not alone in my reasons for using an e-bike .........by the by thanks for a wicked FORUM ttfn for now from a wheezy old geezer
here here ! from onother old wheezer

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Sounds a bit like everyone wants their cake and eat it.
You want throttle controlled electric vehicles that require no input or only when you see fit (scooters really) but don't want the registration, insurance etc. that come with that.
You can't please all of the people all of the time!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can all keep throttles indefinitely, but only operational when you are turning the pedals as well.

However, considering the 400 million people of the other EU countries all manage without throttles when they ride e-bikes, and they do much, much more of that than the British do, I do wonder at the apparent competence levels in Britain. :rolleyes:

Of course the truth is that you can be just as competent, but as Biged says, you just want your cake and eat it, but there's no chance of that.

Be content with pedelecs or buy a moped, getting your CBT and test pass where necessary.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
You can all keep throttles indefinitely, but only operational when you are turning the pedals as well.

However, considering the 400 million people of the other EU countries all manage without throttles when they ride e-bikes, and they do much, much more of that than the British do, I do wonder at the apparent competence levels in Britain. :rolleyes:

Of course the truth is that you can be just as competent, but as Biged says, you just want your cake and eat it, but there's no chance of that.

Be content with pedelecs or buy a moped, getting your CBT and test pass where necessary.
I have no worries about keeping the throttles on my bikes because they are there now so will be in the future.
But, my point is that when starting off I use my throttle to get me going while I settle down. I often use the throttle when approaching a junction so that I can control the speed whilst looking around for traffic. Another time I use throttle is when approaching a typical problem around the lanes where I live and that is off heavy mud and crud on the road from run off or tractors and the throttle allows me fine control of speed.

Not really sure why the powers at be make some changes! I think sometimes they have to be seen to be doing something. I have a full motorcycle licence but whats the point? I want to ride my E bike around not a motorbike.

BTW Flecc, I did ask you in an earlier thread how your back is after your fall in the ice:)

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did reply then Dave, you must have missed it. The back's ok now thank goodness, but at that time I got some other troubles just before Xmas, including inflamed gums and two teeth extracted just in time to ensure a soft food only Xmas!

All ok now though, in as full a working order as one can expect from 74 years, though according to friends in much better order than most at this age.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Further to a meeting a couple of weeks ago with ETRA, LEVA and representatives from Segway, Trikke and Yike Bike, there is a recommendation for a change in the EU law that will allow such vehicles to fall into the category "not to be considered a powered vehicle". This change will allow these vehicles to be used on the road without insurance etc as long as they weigh less than 25kg, are at or below 250W and have a top speed of not more than 25kph.

If this recommendation is accepted and I think the chances are good, it will mean and end to the current legislation affective in continental Europe that bans a full throttle unless the pedals are turning, not adding power, simply turning.

I really don't understand why anyone would be anti full throttle, it is there if you want it, if not.... simply dont use it or turn it off.

There are many groups of people all over the world that would benefit from having a full throttle fitted to their bike. Where is the down side?

Delighted to see you up and about again Flecc!

All the best

David

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I wish our UK roads[1] were quiet and slow enough that things like the Segway, Trikke, Yike, roller blades, skateboards, micro-skoots and all the other things that are a bit faster than walking and a bit slower than a racing cyclist were safe.

But sadly I don't think they are. Sure, there are roads where it's not a problem, but there's also an awful lot of even 30mph roads where traffic and potholes, not to mention pedestrians (with the cellphone of +5 invinceability) means safety would be pretty marginal.

I'm really hoping that when I'm old enough to need a mobility scooter, I can create a tilting trike with off road wheels, full suspension and 1Kw of electric power. :) If I'm forced to ride one, I still want it to be fun!

[1]It's also a shame that common sense can't come into enforcement. Ride slowly and carefully and there's plenty of pavement where riding a bicycle is no more dangerous than pushing it. Same goes for a Segway. But the law has to have a blanket ban.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I really don't understand why anyone would be anti full throttle, it is there if you want it, if not.... simply dont use it or turn it off.

There are many groups of people all over the world that would benefit from having a full throttle fitted to their bike. Where is the down side?

Delighted to see you up and about again Flecc!

All the best

David
Thanks David.

I don't think there's anything user-wise against throttles and I'm sure the EU don't have anything against them operationally.

I can just appreciate that in ruling against them originally they ensured that e-bikes remained bicycles and could not become thinly disguised motor vehicles as can so easily happen.

The legally sold e-bike my Q-bike is based on is a perfect example of how far things can go. It can snatch 28 amps out of the 37 volt battery which at 75% efficiency is pumping more than 3 times the legal power limit onto the road. Accordingly I almost never needed to pedal, even on a 1 in 7, indeed it would even take off in a standing start on the 1 in 7 with me on board, without any pedalling. And on the road in standard form, it was difficult to catch up with it pedalling since the motor comfortably outruns the standard single rider gear in all flat conditions. Clearly this is a standard "bike" from a major manufacturer that at the design stage lost all pretensions to being a bicycle. Whether that's a bad thing is a moot point, topping out at 17/18 mph it largely only runs at e-bike speeds which is safe, but in reality it's a low powered moped.

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
:) posted by Wisper Bikes.
Further to a meeting a couple of weeks ago with ETRA, LEVA and representatives from Segway, Trikke and Yike Bike, there is a recommendation for a change in the EU law that will allow such vehicles to fall into the category "not to be considered a powered vehicle". This change will allow these vehicles to be used on the road without insurance etc as long as they weigh less than 25kg, are at or below 250W and have a top speed of not more than 25kph.

If this recommendation is accepted and I think the chances are good, it will mean and end to the current legislation affective in continental Europe that bans a full throttle unless the pedals are turning, not adding power, simply turning.

Well stated, and keep up the pressure. Throttle users dont want mopeds, most are already motorcycle or car users. What low powered moped would i have to rely on pedalling to get me a 10-20 mile or so journey? The ebike is what it is;an ebike. Its also a pedelec, and can be one or the other or both as it is in practice on a single journey; thats the major attraction.
Its also a variable speed mobile exercise bike where you can actually breathe fresh air and meet people in their daily lives. Not artificial sweaty gym machines and mr or mrs/ms motivator with the headphones on.
I certainly dont want an ebike that doesnt need pedalling at all, but like many people with health ptoblems, [in my case severe back problems] the ebike with an optional independent throttle is a Godsend. If i hadnt a busted sofa of a back id still want the option, and have the motor power kept within sensible limits.
Its not quite bicycle, its not a moped. Its an ebike. Get the legislation right and get them out there.But remember with even a little extra power comes a lot of extra responsibility :)

Last edited: