Change in e-bike legislation

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
A pragmatic piece of legislation would say that cyclists can disregard motor traffic rules without penalty but in doing so automatically be deemed personally responsible for any resulting accident.
I think the law is already in existence, given that those with a green light have right of way by default, all that would be required is to say that cycles are allowed to pass the red, but all other regulations remain in force. This way the police could be more discerning about who actually presents a danger to others. Couple this with an increase in the penalty for riding dangerously, and it may all become a bit more civilised. Much like the first day the congestion charge was introduced, all I saw were posh people in posh cars being very considerate to everybody (didn't last though...).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This way the police could be more discerning about who actually presents a danger to others.
Since the Metropolitan Police with 12,000 vehicles have managed to kill about 6 people a year on London's roads, a rate times higher than the rest of the population, they should have some idea of who is presenting danger! :eek:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
:D

That said, I don't envy them having to provide emergency response through London traffic. Maybe the answer is to pedestrianise central London, with an alowance for bikes,buses,cabs, and deliveries (stir-stir :D ).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D

That said, I don't envy them having to provide emergency response through London traffic. Maybe the answer is to pedestrianise central London, with an alowance for bikes,buses,cabs, and deliveries (stir-stir :D ).
With a congestion charge on the pedestrians entering the central area? :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
its been a while since I was in South London but I do remember there being a surfeit of traffic lights - and TBH there are many parts of it where if I were on a bicycle I would not want to hang around too long..

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
its been a while since I was in South London but I do remember there being a surfeit of traffic lights - and TBH there are many parts of it where if I were on a bicycle I would not want to hang around too long..
Exactly...and very frustrating when you are out for a bit of exercise. Like others have said, a minority have tarnished the pursuit for the lot of us:rolleyes:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
When I'm walking in London, I am sick and tired of thugs on bikes yelling 'look out!' as they slam between people on pedestrian crossings. If I'm halfway across and a cyclist slips past at a reasonable pace as I approach, I don't mind that.

Unfortunately, the behaviour of a loutish minority has tarred us all with the same brush.
This isn't a dig at Lemmy and what he said is probably true, however...
There are plenty of pedestrians that blame cyclists when they are at fault. I often get people shouting at me at traffic light controlled junctions where they wander out without looking properly, if I'm turning right across a busy junction and some idiot steps out in front of me instead of waiting for the green man then I'm not going to put myself at risk and wait for him. I also get shouted at for riding the wrong way up a two way street or when someone steps out in front of me without looking, anything but accept their own mistake. There's a new cycle lane in Limehouse that goes against the one way system, it's very clearly marked and goes across a junction keeping priority. A car driver didn't bother looking properly yesterday and nearly hit me, then had a go at me when it was my right of way.
Many people say sorry when they get in my way but some would rather assume they are blameless, unfortunately these are probably the most vocal about 'bloody cyclists'.
There are dangerous cyclists in London and happily I do see the police stopping them, shame there is no penalty for being a moron in charge of feet.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
There's a new cycle lane in Limehouse that goes against the one way system, it's very clearly marked and goes across a junction keeping priority.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, who will be the first to die? Which barnpot thought of that one then?

They'll be charging for cycle parking next in London (it's already happened to Motorcycles in Westminster).

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
there are a couple of cycle lanes up one way streets in south London...they are a bit disconcerting as not used to cars passing so close, I try and avoid them:rolleyes:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, who will be the first to die? Which barnpot thought of that one then?

They'll be charging for cycle parking next in London (it's already happened to Motorcycles in Westminster).
The lanes were put in on that road because most (85% I think) cyclists ignored the one way street and rode up there anyway, I went correctly round the one way system and it took 30 seconds longer. :rolleyes:

The local councils have already tried to restrict cycle parking by having the law changed so that councils could remove bikes chained to railings, some traffic wardens think this is already in their powers. Fortunately it got thrown out but it's obvious they desperately want to control cycle parking.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Sick of trying to get a decent flick out of my bell i went for one of these Buddy Megahorn - £11.99 - SBR Sports

That`ll move the pedestrians;)
Boy is it loud or what:eek: set it off in the garden and birds for a couple of hundred meters run for cover:D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I carry a cheap hammer...it can be used manually or flung:p

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
If you read the specs the cheaper one has the button on the unit so you need to take your hand off of the bars whereas the £11 one has a remote switch(you can just see it if you look close) and you can more or less fit it anywhere and have the button right by your thumb on the left hand:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

pictsidhe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 17, 2011
I carry a cheap hammer...it can be used manually or flung:p
A tyre iron up your sleeve in a little pocket near the cuff has multiple uses, stealth arm reinforcement or wielded/thrown, wing mirrors are particularly vulnerable, this can make you WOBBLE though ;)

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Hi Patrick, the problem is like I said, when it's cold and I've got thick gloves on, you can't always tell if the throttle is fully off, you pull the brake and it cuts the power, if you release the brake the power is suddenly restored and you shoot forward. It may just be me, but when it's cold and raining and the roads are busy, you can't always make a conscious effort to fully release the throttle control.
i have used brake cut outs for 12 years or more and have never had this problem.also as has been said us old ones need the throttle a lot more than you young'ns.