Clacking noise - Kalkhoff Impulse 2 motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Well, my Impulse 2 motor is now up to 1,900 miles.

Still working ok. Occasional noise and did have one odd stutter the other day.

Looking like 2,000 miles won't be much of a problem. But the minor issues I've been having are still a little bit of a concern.

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
Sounds odd that you had to pay that. If the error was a fault under warranty, surely any cost of repairs should fall under the manufacturer/retailer and not yourself?

Did you buy from 50cycles?
It was an import ... I'm just glad to get it back and a couple of hundred miles later it's still working.

Janusz

Jun 10, 2016
Poland
From what I know about the Impulse motor, it's the high torque from the motor and reduction gearing combination that is damaging pawls in the chainwheel freewheel. It seems as though the freewheel isn't strong enough to cope with the torque and initially it becomes noisy and then fails with continued use.
does anybody has an idea if and where it is possible to get now pawls for Impulse motor? I have got my pawls damaged and have no idea where I could get these spares...

Mr MSJ

Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Same here Janusz.. Now I ended up going on a SINGLE pawl because the other has completely shattered.. called to 50 Cycles, they said to replace motor , mine outside warranty and just under 2 years of the new replaced 2nd motor!! £600 + man hours + delivery ( don't be surprised when they will say, quote - sir, vat is included! Unbelievable!!!) I thought, silly me buying from monopoly rights company- take it or throw away £2000... I've gone to nothing hill bicycle shop on all saints road. They have quite an experience re bicycles repairs but when I showed my pawls to them, they noticed that they are bigger than usual market pawls. They advised that I should contact manufacturer directly and write them a letter regarding 50 Cycles bottle necks. Usually manufacturer (from bicycle shop experience) send replacement parts directly to the address or retailer. But they have never dealt with Derby Cycles...
So then, I will second Janusz. Do anybody know where we can obtain those pawls?..

Some pics from inside the motor.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Janusz

Jun 10, 2016
Poland
Same here Janusz.. Now I ended up going on a SINGLE pawl because the other has completely shattered.. called to 50 Cycles, they said to replace motor , mine outside warranty and just under 2 years of the new replaced 2nd motor!! £600 + man hours + delivery ( don't be surprised when they will say, quote - sir, vat is included! Unbelievable!!!) I thought, silly me buying from monopoly rights company- take it or throw away £2000... I've gone to nothing hill bicycle shop on all saints road. They have quite an experience re bicycles repairs but when I showed my pawls to them, they noticed that they are bigger than usual market pawls. They advised that I should contact manufacturer directly and write them a letter regarding 50 Cycles bottle necks. Usually manufacturer (from bicycle shop experience) send replacement parts directly to the address or retailer. But they have never dealt with Derby Cycles...
So then, I will second Janusz. Do anybody know where we can obtain those pawls?..

Some pics from inside the motor.
thank you for your support. Anyone else having this problem too? Maybe, if we act together we can put more pressure. It really sounds stupid if such tiny part can make the whole motor useless. Below are the pictures of my pawls and a broken spring which keeps them in their destination place.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thank you for your support. Anyone else having this problem too? Maybe, if we act together we can put more pressure. It really sounds stupid if such tiny part can make the whole motor useless. Below are the pictures of my pawls and a broken spring which keeps them in their destination place.
I've always thought Daum (aka Impulse) copied the Panasonic pedelec unit design and your photos bear that out, the pawl assembly and needle roller use looking like a close copy. I've just posted the photos of the Panasonic freewheel assembling sequence for you on this link.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Update! This service we offer you now: Derby Cycle is now offering a 48 sins Repewraturservice on. Repairs Impulse engines are carried out directly via the partner Daum electronic GmbH in the future. The aim is a fast and smooth service processing of pulses motors. Cost: The repair within the statutory warranty period is carried out for the customer for free - this period is two years from date of purchase of the bicycle . If no error on the engine detected is, costs in the amount of 49 € will be charged . in the price Check the drive at the test facility and the test machines, and shipping, handling of Daum electronic GmbH are included. If the motor outside the warranty period is , costs in the amount of 180 € will be charged for the repair of a defective motor. The price includes the necessary to remedy the indicated fault working time of Daum electronic GmbH , replacement or exchange parts and shipping. Consequential damages due to externally visible damage and case damage will be charged separately. Exclusions from the guarantee:damage caused by improper use or force majeure . caused damages incurred by the opening of the motor housing. damage caused by improper or inadequate maintenance (eg by cleaning the engine with a strong jet of water.). Follow claims of repairs through the repair is not a new warranty. The warranty period shall be extended only to attributable useful life - ie repair time

http://www.daum-electronic.de/

or email ulli at pcg here http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/aus-1-mach-2-jetzt-impulse-1-motor-gegen-impulse-2-austauschen.31405/

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Update! This service we offer you now: Derby Cycle is now offering a 48 sins Repewraturservice on. Repairs Impulse engines are carried out directly via the partner Daum electronic GmbH in the future. The aim is a fast and smooth service processing of pulses motors. Cost: The repair within the statutory warranty period is carried out for the customer for free - this period is two years from date of purchase of the bicycle . If no error on the engine detected is, costs in the amount of 49 € will be charged . in the price Check the drive at the test facility and the test machines, and shipping, handling of Daum electronic GmbH are included. If the motor outside the warranty period is , costs in the amount of 180 € will be charged for the repair of a defective motor. The price includes the necessary to remedy the indicated fault working time of Daum electronic GmbH , replacement or exchange parts and shipping. Consequential damages due to externally visible damage and case damage will be charged separately. Exclusions from the guarantee:damage caused by improper use or force majeure . caused damages incurred by the opening of the motor housing. damage caused by improper or inadequate maintenance (eg by cleaning the engine with a strong jet of water.). Follow claims of repairs through the repair is not a new warranty. The warranty period shall be extended only to attributable useful life - ie repair time

http://www.daum-electronic.de/

or email ulli at pcg here http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/aus-1-mach-2-jetzt-impulse-1-motor-gegen-impulse-2-austauschen.31405/
That makes sense, the Impulse unit was originally a Daum design.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
should make those links a sticky at top of page dont understand why 50 cycles ect cant get them fixed out of warranty:rolleyes:

dont even have 1 and managed to find them;)

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
called to 50 Cycles, they said to replace motor , mine outside warranty and just under 2 years of the new replaced 2nd motor!! £600 + man hours + delivery ( don't be surprised when they will say, quote - sir, vat is included! Unbelievable!!!)
So you had your impulse II motor replaced once under warranty, and the second is now failing being less than 2 years old?

How many miles did you do on each motor?

Did you buy your bike in the UK?

Mr MSJ

Mar 22, 2013
Wembley
Hi tom,
yep, first one was just 10 months old and it was still under warranty and approx 600miles. I presume freewheel has failed and caused Nexus IGH to fail prematurely. They replaced motor but totally ignored about IGH. I got cold feet on them. I bought nuvinci replaced Nexus and so far done around 1000 miles but motor again failed after 20 months spare use, by shattering and jamming freewheel pawl. Called to 50 Cycles - quote - MY LAST decision is £600 + man hours with VAT included.. well I did not expect this kind of treatment after spending £2000..
As I mentioned to Janusz, I'm driving it with 1 pawl left. When it will give up and if I will not find where to get the pawls, I will dump the bike all together. From the principal matter how they treated me and spoke to me I will not spend a penny to 50 Cycles. I suppose quite expensive £2000 experience..
I believe I'll go conversion way (hainzmann or bafang), at least if one of the components will go bust, you still can use another. I've got enough of the "kalkhoff -premium experience product!"...

Reactions: Tomtomato

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
All I can say is I fancied one of their integral bikes but think now I'll look elsewhere. Not the best customer service.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Called to 50 Cycles - quote - MY LAST decision is £600 + man hours with VAT included.. well I did not expect this kind of treatment after spending £2000
Well, this is indeed very poor. The motor should last a lot longer than 1,000 miles, and even once out of warranty, 50 Cycles should still ensure the bike is fit for purpose and of reasonable quality, given its high price.

You should mention to them the Sale of Good Act (SOGA), and request them to do a free replacement of the motor (formally, in writing). If they refuse, you can pay for it and then take them to small court claims (money claims) to get your money back. It's a simple and easy process.

Alternatively, you can order a replacement motor from one of the German websites selling it, get a bike mechanic to fit it (if you are not comfortable doing so), and ask 50 Cycles to repay you.

If the bike was well maintained, and given its small mileage, they will most likely lose out if you were doing a claim against them.

It's quite likely that quoting SOGA or the newer equivalent will not work with 50 Cycles (as they don't really care) and you will end up having to take them to court.

Reactions: soundwave

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Well, this is indeed very poor. The motor should last a lot longer than 1,000 miles, and even once out of warranty, 50 Cycles should still ensure the bike is fit for purpose and of reasonable quality, given its high price.

You should mention to them the Sale of Good Act (SOGA), and request them to do a free replacement of the motor (formally, in writing). If they refuse, you can pay for it and then take them to small court claims (money claims) to get your money back. It's a simple and easy process.

Alternatively, you can order a replacement motor from one of the German websites selling it, get a bike mechanic to fit it (if you are not comfortable doing so), and ask 50 Cycles to repay you.

If the bike was well maintained, and given its small mileage, they will most likely lose out if you were doing a claim against them.

It's quite likely that quoting SOGA or the newer equivalent will not work with 50 Cycles (as they don't really care) and you will end up having to take them to court.
surely all these issues, and the ineptness of 50cycles will be enough to put them out of business, who on earth is ever going to buy a bike from them or any kalkhoff bike again.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
surely all these issues, and the ineptness of 50cycles will be enough to put them out of business, who on earth is ever going to buy a bike from them or any kalkhoff bike again.
Unfortunately, I suspect that only a small percentage of the ebike buying public look at this forum, therefore they will not suffer any significant damage to their sales.

What I don't understand is why they are refusing to repair the bike when it is still within the warranty period. Have they given any reasons for this?

Those who have bikes which are affected by this design fault should ensure that this thread stays on Page 1 of the forum. It might also be useful to state exactly what 50 Cycles or Kalkhoff are saying regarding repairs under warranty.

They will be hoping that you meet with such resistance from them that you give up. The trick is to persist relentlessly and to grind them down with letters, negative posts on Internet forums, visits to the shop to express you dissatisfaction in front of other customers, telephone calls and Small Claims Court.

Writing directly to Derby Cycles would be worthwhile as well. The latter worked for me. If you decide to go down this route, be straightforward, stating exactly what the problem is and try to avoid being emotional. Then state clearly what you believe to be a satisfactory outcome. I suggest that this is an upgrade to the latest motor which hopefully addresses the issues you are currently experiencing.

The impulse has turned out to be a lemon, and you should all be pushing to have the latest motor fitted or else the same thing will continue happen and the bike will end up rusting away in the shed with a knackered motor.

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
There's 12 pages of disgruntled Kalkhoff owners with problems with the motors,but there has not been one reply from the owner of 50 cycles yet he's a forum sponsor come on admin give him a choice advise him he needs to address the members issues or you will cancel his sponsorship.!!!!!!

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
It would be arduous for any bike business having to deal with the problems and warranty claims because of the impulse design failures however 50 cycles from my experience have always done what they can to resolve issues.
I have had two motor replacements and that is dissapointing because when the impulse motor is running right the performance is stellar and the 17ah battery ensures a long range.

Status
Not open for further replies.