Conversion kit for Dahon Speed/Vitesse

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Interesting…. You must have the ‘Sensorless compatible plug’ with only the three pins. I have the hall sensor version which packs nine pins into a similarly sized connector.

Hi jhruk,
Is it posibble for you to measure the diameters of the two halves of the connector for me?
I also see there are manufacture markings any chance of their details?
Regards, Colin.

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Wow that one would make an excellent unbilical plug for my Brompton. Smaller and an extra pin compared to my Bulgin!

I need to get me some of those!

PS Current would not be an issue on a Tongxin. Remember the load is split across the three pins. My Bulgin is rated to 6-8amps per pin I think. The pins on that look thicker!

I assume its keyed so it can only plug in, in one orentation ?

Regards

Jerry
Unfortunately my original photo failed to show any scale - here’s a better photo.

I’m sure it would be fine for your Tongxin – It is very neat & I’ve had no problems so far. My caution is probably due to my experiences with other moulded connectors on cheap leads.

It’s keyed by the asymmetric position of the larger pins - so you couldn’t mate them incorrectly. There are also helpful arrows moulded on both male & female sides which you just line up to connect.

Please let us all know if you manage to find a source.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi jhruk,
Is it posibble for you to measure the diameters of the two halves of the connector for me?
I also see there are manufacture markings any chance of their details?
Regards, Colin.
The diameters are the same as d8veh stated : 10mm & 14mm. From his photos it outwardly appears very similar – it’s just the no. of pins that differ.

The only manufacturer markings are the word ‘JULET’ which appears on both male & female.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The diameters are the same as d8veh stated : 10mm & 14mm. From his photos it outwardly appears very similar – it’s just the no. of pins that differ.

The only manufacturer markings are the word ‘JULET’ which appears on both male & female.

Hi jhruk,

Thanks for taking your time to give a great answer complete with a picture.
I will now go and see if I can hunt this little gem down.

Regards, Colin

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Did anyone find a source. I tried a few searches on Julet 9 pole connectors and came up with zilch :(

Regards

Jerry

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Could you not just ask for some samples to be sent through so you can evaluate if its the right product and quality??

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Could you not just ask for some samples to be sent through so you can evaluate if its the right product and quality??
Email sent.

Maybe another way would for all the BEBA members club together and purchase a batch then distribute them through their UK outlets - just a thought.

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Good skills. Let us know how you get on!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Email sent.

Maybe another way would for all the BEBA members club together and purchase a batch then distribute them through their UK outlets - just a thought.
I have made contact with the company and they could send some samples for evaluation, although not free.
I need to know quickly (next 2 days) if any member is interested in either product so I can place a samples order.
I will charge at cost to me.
They have an overall cable length of 1.8m,
They fowarded the spec sheets for the connectors see below:

Attachments

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have made contact with the company and they could send some samples for evaluation, although not free.
I need to know quickly (next 2 days) if any member is interested in either product so I can place a samples order.
I will charge at cost to me.
They have an overall cable length of 1.8m,
They fowarded the spec sheets for the connectors see below:
Hi shemozzle999,

I may be interested in a few. Do you have any idea of what the cost per unit might be?

Well done for finding them.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Whats the cost?
I might take two depending on the cost. It would be good to make a quick release rear wheel instead of having to uncable tie the power wires.

Almost wish it took a bit more than 20 amp though as thats right on the edge for me.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
These would be for evalution purposes only, I offer no guarantee as to the suitable use of these.
I am only trying to get some samples, not to make a profit.

I would not recommend them for anything apart from legal use as they are so small and would treat the ratings as absolute maximums ie:
3 pin - 20A
9 pin - 15A

I have been quoted:
3 pin - $4.2 each
9 pin - $6.2 each

Add to that delivery cost, money transfer fees, import duty and forwarding postage fees to members I would expect triple the quoted prices.

p.s. note these are bare cable assemblies and have NO terminating connectors on either of the ends, they would have to be purchased separately.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
To try and beat the Christmas post I have decided to order 5 of each type.
I will offer the surplus to members on a first come basis in order of posting.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Not sure if I am too late but I will take 2 of each 9 and 3 pin.

If you have ordered already then perhaps you can give me details so I can order some more :D

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
:)

I will take one of each if there is a rush :p

Jerry

Last edited:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Put me down for one of each - I'll take more if there are any left.

Thanks

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The motor cables have arrived!
I ordered 10 sets of each in the end to keep the price down as the delivery charge was quite high ($70).
Therefore 9 sets of each in total are available to purchase, less those already spoken for.
I also incurred a fee as I had to pay by Western Union.
After all included costs it works out at £7.50 each plus p+p at cost for final delivery.

They look good, gold plated contacts, tinned copper wires, alignment arrows, polarization bumps and molded with the company name "Outrider".

Cable length motor side (male) 300mm.
Cable length controller side (female) 1800mm

Also included in the delivery was 1 free sample connector box which ty-raps to the fork and will accommodate the assembled connector - well the 9 pin is ok but the 3 pin would need part of the strain relief molding to be trimmed off to fit.

S7300586.jpgS7300588.jpgS7300587.jpgS7300589.jpg

Jerry and jhruk PM your details you get first dibs.

p.s. My dealings with the Company were straight foward and they were very efficient with their responses to my emails.
I would not have any problem with reccommending them as an alternative source for parts, although if they had a Paypal account it could have made it easier and slightly cheaper.
Just received this from Diana Lin and Sally Huang her assistant:

gift from OutRider.jpg

nice touch!

Last edited: