Council recycling centre bike access

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
So I demolished an old shed. I asked around to see if I could give the wood to anyone with a woodburner but no luck. OK, I'll take it to the recycling centre in my bike trailer. Easy enough even if about 10 trips are needed. The recycling centre is open Sundays so OK.
Then I noticed bicycles are welcome but must have an appointment - WTF! Health and safety apparently. OK I'll phone up. 90 minutes of the phone ringing and timing out over and over again and it became apparent no one was going to answer.

I went anyway

After waiting in the queue of cars with everyone else I went in, up a short slope with a less than helpful chunky speed bump halfway. The two guys directing everyone were fine, then the supervisor came over. He started by telling me bikes aren't allowed. I pointed out they are if you have an appointment. He countered by saying I don't have one. I suggested answering the phone might have helped. Well apparently the office is only open monday to friday and you need to book a few days in advance. Only one visit a day allowed. I finished emptying my trailer and was about to leave when the guy emptying his car next to me told me that the recycling company don't like bikes or pedestrians on site but the council insists on it to promote active travel, so every obstacle possible is put in the way of any cyclist or pedestrians who do want to use the facilities.

So is this just my area or is this a common problem?

Here's my bike trailer modified at great expense to carry dirty old bits of wood.

Attachments

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I’ve never been to the tip on a bike but I’ve come back with a few ;) (that was many many years ago when you could buy scrap from them)

In your position I would contact the council and get written confirmation of your rights. The next time I went to the tip and gotten challenged, I’d show the proof and ask for the challengers name so you can pass it on to the council.
You may not be a popular visitor but you’ll be recognised and maybe get in with less hassle in the future.

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
So I demolished an old shed. I asked around to see if I could give the wood to anyone with a woodburner but no luck. OK, I'll take it to the recycling centre in my bike trailer. Easy enough even if about 10 trips are needed. The recycling centre is open Sundays so OK.
Then I noticed bicycles are welcome but must have an appointment - WTF! Health and safety apparently. OK I'll phone up. 90 minutes of the phone ringing and timing out over and over again and it became apparent no one was going to answer.

I went anyway

After waiting in the queue of cars with everyone else I went in, up a short slope with a less than helpful chunky speed bump halfway. The two guys directing everyone were fine, then the supervisor came over. He started by telling me bikes aren't allowed. I pointed out they are if you have an appointment. He countered by saying I don't have one. I suggested answering the phone might have helped. Well apparently the office is only open monday to friday and you need to book a few days in advance. Only one visit a day allowed. I finished emptying my trailer and was about to leave when the guy emptying his car next to me told me that the recycling company don't like bikes or pedestrians on site but the council insists on it to promote active travel, so every obstacle possible is put in the way of any cyclist or pedestrians who do want to use the facilities.

So is this just my area or is this a common problem?

Here's my bike trailer modified at great expense to carry dirty old bits of wood.
You sound like an ecologically aware type of person, but can I just say that using wood from an old shed should not be burnt in a woodburner due to the toxins released from any preservatives etc. Just saying!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Gringo says, tough it out with them since they are clearly being awkward for no good reason. I used to turn up every week at my council recycling centre with loads like this for my many neighbours as well:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
It's the same here in Devon, no bicycle access to the recycling centre. A friend told me he was refused access last year, he only has a bike, no car. Not sure if there is an appointment arrangment though.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Our site is run by Viridor no pedestrians of bicycles are allowed at all, to get tot he tip now one has to book a time slot online. We are allowed 5 visits per month.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
In Covid 19 restriction times, our Hampshire Household Waste Disposal Centres have adopted an appointment based system, rigorously upheld. That arrangement I can understand the logic base.

I book my slots on their web site, a bit tedious as popular times are just that "popular" and quickly taken, nor can I get one for the day I make the booking.
That aside it is pretty hassle free though I have only ever used our car, which incidentally needed to be pre "registered" for visits to the Centre, even before the Covid restrictions came in.
It does though clearly slow the process, with throughput much reduced.

Reactions: Bikes4two

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I wonder why fly-tipping is so prevalent at the moment? You would think that they would be falling over backwards to make it easy to dispose of your waste legally!!
Yes, you would have thought so, but that's appling logic to the situation, which sadly dosen't really mean alot these days. Now the recycling centres are run by large, private companies, things like fly tipping are not their concern, that's left to the local council. It would not surprise me if the council get charged by the recycling centre company to despose of the piles of illegally dumped cr*p they clear from the streets and country lanes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I never had a problem in Telford.

With these things you should always write to your Councillor. They probably don't know what's going on.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Our tip only allows booked visits from West Sussex registered resident's, can often book a next day appointment. The waiting time is now slashed and I was straight in this morning and out within a dozen minutes.
One old rotten shed and felt roof got rid of and some garden waste.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Well just a follow up. I phoned the office in the morning and who ever answered left the phone off the hook and I heard the ensuing conversation. All I had to do was let the office know I was coming and then they gave me the supervisors phone number. When I arrived outside I phoned the supervisor and he sent someone down to watch me through the gates. That was it. It was annoying to sit in the queue outside making the phone call instead of just riding in. I made 3 trips and I did have one car get impatient and drive around me, only to find no slots available to park in and unload, whilst I just went down the far end and stopped by the wall.

As mentioned above. The council want people to recycle but then put every barrier possible in their way to stop it happening. This is how it seems to work now.

Darren

Reactions: witzend

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
To put things into perspective, I am in the Netherlands. Recently I had to dispose of lots of household waste that could not fit into regular trash bins or the recycling bins. So I took it to the closest waste drop off center with my ebike and trailer. There was no appointment needed and it was a weekday. I queued up with the cars and trucks, waited my turn, went up the short slope just like you, and had no issues. They simply asked me what kind of waste it is, pointed me to where to drop it off, and that's it. There was no complaints against using the bicycle and there were no rules about it on the website.

Therefore I doubt it has anything to do with health and safety.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To put things into perspective, I am in the Netherlands.
I'm not surprised, 70% of your population cycle regularly, so there a bike is the norm.

Here in the UK as little as 3% cycle regularly, so it's abnormal even to cycle, let alone use a bike to carry goods. So Health and Safety is the excuse to enable discrimination.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm one of the 3 % who is discriminated against.

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I'm one of the 3 % who is discriminated against.
Bloody irritating, isn't it. Living in the same county as you I also have to deal with Viridor's 'not my problem' approach to customer enquiries. They pass you you to the County Council who in turn bounce you back to Viridor. Short answer: 'we don't don't like bikes in Sussex, get over it'

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Viridor sites you have to book.

Related Articles

Advertisers