Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 625 AllRoad

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks to this forum, today I made my first ebike purchase.
After much reading ,looking and test riding I was toing and froing between the reaction hybrid pro 500 and the nature hybrid 500 exc.
By complete chance today I came across a bike show at Wheelbase in Staveley with Cube being highly represented.
After a chat with the CUBE UK rep my deposit was placed on an in stock ‘cross hybrid pro 625’ with a 15% discount bringing the bike down in price to £2200. Really just what I was after, a mix of both of the above bikes I was deciding between. Much prefer the rugged hybrid look with added bonus of 75nm cx motor and 625 battery. Obviously I could have gained 15% off either of the above but this ticked all the boxes. Picked the bike up a few hours later after the mechanics had completed the build and initial ride proved a fantastically built bike , great control and ride. Good to see 100’s of ebikes getting full use around the area today. Can’t wait to get out and about on Sunday for a proper mix trail ride.

Only time it will look this fresh.

CF160A01-DC48-4604-A9D7-C213B58DE3FE.jpeg

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks to this forum, today I made my first ebike purchase.
After much reading ,looking and test riding I was toing and froing between the reaction hybrid pro 500 and the nature hybrid 500 exc.
By complete chance today I came across a bike show at Wheelbase in Staveley with Cube being highly represented.
After a chat with the CUBE UK rep my deposit was placed on an in stock ‘cross hybrid pro 625’ with a 15% discount bringing the bike down in price to £2200. Really just what I was after, a mix of both of the above bikes I was deciding between. Much prefer the rugged hybrid look with added bonus of 75nm cx motor and 625 battery. Obviously I could have gained 15% off either of the above but this ticked all the boxes. Picked the bike up a few hours later after the mechanics had completed the build and initial ride proved a fantastically built bike , great control and ride. Good to see 100’s of ebikes getting full use around the area today. Can’t wait to get out and about on Sunday for a proper mix trail ride.

Only time it will look this fresh.

View attachment 34242
A good looking bike imho. Let us know how you get on with it.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Nice, very nice. Top of my current wish list is the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625 at £2699, a 15% discount on that would be nice, you did well to get that discount on a brand new model with the 625 powertube battery and the gen4 cx motor...
enjoy, look forward to a review

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
My original conclusion was that the gen 3 nature exc was right for me..until I tried the reaction pro with the gen 4 cx75 motor.
The riding position of the hybrids suits me more than a mtb but the gen 4,in my opinion ,had less lag once passing the 15.5mph barrier even on knobblies.The mtb riding position I find less comfortable but I’d enquired about changing the handlebar stem and replacing the knobblies for trail biased tyres. . I then came across the 2020 hybrid pro which was a mix of the 2 bikes also with ‘cross tyres’. At £2600 it was higher than my self imposed price limit but the event on Saturday sealed the deal.

I managed a 2 hr ride today and I’ve definitely made the right decision for my needs. Having the mudguards saved me getting a soaking from below , the inbuilt lights are bright for day use and the cross tyres allowed me to plough through several inches of muddy trails in eco mode while still being forgiving on roads and cobbles.
I tried & struggled through the easiest of mud sections in off mode (around the edges) with lots of slipping and sinking but a flick to eco mode ,even through the centres, it was a no contest with the tyres gripping very well ,encouraging the bike through.

It’s a big and bulky bike at 24kg but I felt at home on it immediately and once moving it’s a lot easier to ride and manoeuvre than it initially looks. I managed a few cobbled road inclines in off mode at 5-7mph, but a quick press to boost proves what a game changer these bikes are at turning a hill into a slight gradient.
After 2 hours mixed use it still had full battery charge showing. The handlebar v’s seating position is just right, no aches.

I’m just under 5’7” and was borderline 50/54 bike size. I have previously bought bigger framed bikes. The 50 I found to be a bit tight when pedalling , 54 suits me.
I didn’t want a permanent pannier rack, as on the Kathmandu, I have a topeak-v and small trunk bag for when taking a few tools and locks on longer rides.
I preferred the green frame to stock grey, they sold 3 green at the event yesterday. Just a shame I didn’t ask what grey to green sales ratio was.

Cube stockists apparently sign a price agreement but I have found a couple of online sellers who use alternative ways to offer a % drop. Halifax dealer an example.

Altea4

darren66

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2020
I too purchased the same bike a couple of weeks ago albeit in 62cm, I've already changed the tyres to Schwalbe big apples as they roll better on my 12 mile road commute, the seatpost to a Suntour ncx suspension post, a necessity on such a heavy hard tail bike, the seat to an SMP TRK (personal favourite for comfort) and finally, the forks for Suntour Raidon air as the original Suntour XCM coil forks can barely be described as a suspension fork.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The gum walls do set the bike off well.

As with most factory fit mudguards, the front is way too short to do a proper job.

A long mudflap is what's required.

Bodgeable from plastic wrapper waste, but there's a few neat factory made ones online.

I see the bike is supplied with the lower output charger.

You can't get a better charge than a slow trickle, but it will take a while to fully charge that big battery.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Took a ride along the Pennine Way today and again the mudguards did their job. Until I get a soaking I’ll leave as is. Won’t be bodging anyway. It made mincemeat of the wet muddy terrain and inclines , only downside today was the wide handlebars take some manoeuvring to get through the barriers designed to stop scramblers tearing up the trails. I managed after a couple of attempts to go in at an angle , I could then get the bike and myself through in one go.
The battery charged from 1 bar to full in 4 hours , plenty quick enough for my needs. My laptop battery takes an hour and it’s less than a tenth of the size of this monster.
I found a couple of online deals , or look out for a CUBE event and buy on the day.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The water flies off the tyre just as it leaves the road as it rotates.

Effectively, the spray aims straight for the motor and continues up along the downtube until its progress is impeded by the base of the mudguard.

Bosch say the motor is splash proof, but plenty lunched bearings due to muddy water ingress.

Yours may be better as it's the 2020 version.

You will be protected by the wide downtube, but you will likely get wet feet in heavy rain.

Some mountain bike handlebars are wider than they need to be for a trekking application.

Nothing to stop you chopping an inch or two off both ends.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
great reviews Altea4, this gen4 cx sounds like a peach of a motor, and 625wh battery gives plenty of range, killer combo

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Tried out the lights on another wet ride last night and they have plenty of power , the fronts are a bit too wide angled but lit up to 5m ahead well. I was flashed twice by oncoming cars even though I have them set at lowest pointing level! I strapped my lezyne to the handle bar but no need to switch on , I may put my rear lezyne on flash as the standard rear led, although bright, is rather small.

Into headwinds on a couple of long inclines, a switch to tour was enough to cut through the air and rain ,I managed to keep above the 15.5mph after cut off. Total ride of 15 miles in just under an hour , I would guess unassisted I’d have been at the very least 1hr 20 minutes. The assistance definitely changes a headwind into a light breeze.

Twice on 2hr plus journeys I’ve transported the bike on a thule velocompact, once with battery in place and once without. With the battery in I could see the bike moving with the bumps of the road , not in a concerning way but I was more observant than usual , with the battery removed it was as stable as any normal bike on the rack. Lesson learnt. The battery cover is attached with the simplest of button catches so I may tape it up on longer journeys to be sure it doesn’t decide to fly off. I’ll probably be purchasing a back up as well.
When the weather improves I’ll put it on my roof bars and see if the extra weight of the bike is more noticeable than my hybrid.

I'm finding either setting above tour is too torquey for a start off if not expecting it , I've caught myself out a few times now when I've pressed + instead of - when slowing at a junction, bike takes off and assistance continues a second longer. Eco and tour are plenty then a + if needed.

Last night proved to me that wet and windy are no longer an excuse for skipping an evening ride.

Reactions: Hulknohappy

Lostis4d

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2020
Guys i bought this bike today, and it wasn’t what I was expecting. I thought I was getting A 2020 gen 4 motor that would eat the miles away. Instead the bike barely made it up a steep hill in full turbo mode. This is my first e bike, the retailer I purchased off let me borrow a basic electric bike for a few days until mine arrived, and that bike didn’t have the comforts of this cube for sure, but it’s electric performance was brilliant and flew up the same hill this cube struggled with. I’m going to lean ahead and and say it’s the weight of this bike 24kg which Is the main issue. should I change the tyres to shred the weight, or is most of the weight in the frame and battery? Because the way I see it I’ve just spent close to 3k on A Bike that struggles up steep hills. And to top it all off I ran out of charge, this bike is extremely heavy to cycle home without any power.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Guys i bought this bike today, and it wasn’t what I was expecting. I thought I was getting A 2020 gen 4 motor that would eat the miles away. Instead the bike barely made it up a steep hill in full turbo mode. This is my first e bike, the retailer I purchased off let me borrow a basic electric bike for a few days until mine arrived, and that bike didn’t have the comforts of this cube for sure, but it’s electric performance was brilliant and flew up the same hill this cube struggled with. I’m going to lean ahead and and say it’s the weight of this bike 24kg which Is the main issue. should I change the tyres to shred the weight, or is most of the weight in the frame and battery? Because the way I see it I’ve just spent close to 3k on A Bike that struggles up steep hills. And to top it all off I ran out of charge, this bike is extremely heavy to cycle home without any power.
How steep a hill? I have a activeline plus motor and quite often go up 10/12% hills with no problem in eco/tour mode and get over 60 miles with a 400 battery and my bike weighs exactly the same.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Hi Lostis4d.
I also found the reaction pro 500 to be more nimble than the allroad 625 but they are different machines. It sounds like you’d have been better off with the nature hybrid 500 or the slightly lighter allroad 500. . Did you try a selection of ebikes before deciding on the allroad.
I’m yet to find a hill this bike won’t get me up. I’ve cycled off-road , gravel and grass tracks. Once hitting the brow of a steep incline in turbo you can feel how much assistance it has given as you’ll be spinning the pedals at a rate of knots and clicking away for a higher cog.
Did you drop cogs or attempt the hill in top gear. The mode assistance as you increase the gradients is used in conjunction with lowering the gear you are in. I’m not trying to teach a dog new tricks but it takes a bit of time to get the most out of this bike. I’m still learning at over 400 miles. Yes it’s heavy but I regularly hit 20mph in off mode on a flat. I’ve also tried to cycle against headwinds in off mode and barely made it to 7mph, then a quick ++ to tour and I’m back up to 16mph in seconds. I now switch to off mode once I am on a road that can be cycled comfortably at over 16mph or a track that doesn’t warrant 15mph , once I hit a gradient and dropping a cog still means less speed I + to eco or tour as needed. I’ve found off mode offers no resistance and increases battery life considerably v’s leaving in any mode when above the max assistance level. How far did you travel to use your battery charge , mine is still on 3 bars and showing 38range in tour mode after a week and 75 miles. I cycled 18 miles today mixed roads and gravel track and it hasn’t changed. You just need to adjust your riding , learn to use the assistance with your pedal power.

Lostis4d

Apr 21, 2020
Hi guys
i really appreciate your feedback
I have had this bike for less than 24 hours and it’s crucial I make a decision today or tomorrow so I can get this bike exchanged as my chances for a straight forward exchange are the highest tomorrow.
Yes I tested a mountain bike by cube before purchasing this hybrid but I only went round and round the complex it’s only after I came home after a 2hour cycle today, I learnt what kind of bike I need.
When I got the bike today it only had two bars of charge left as the bike was brand-new so I charged it for half an hour which took it up to 3 bars the range when starting my ride said 9 miles. Is there a chance the bike was lower powered due to the battery not being charged fully for its first use? It just felt like the power was not adequate for my whole ride even in turbo mode, I couldn’t feel the torque. I don’t cycle to work I only bought this for exercise and going out for a few hours a day. Do you think I’m better off with the nature hybrid 500 as the battery would be lighter also?
can you explain what you meant about the gears and cogs? I think I attempted the hill on a lower gear which means I must’ve been peddling a lot but I really had to push to make it to the top of the hill once I got to the top it flew as it was in turbo. I would have thought this is normal but last week the retailer who I purchased the bike from lent me a bike with the brand eZ go, it’s a basic electric bike worth around £1000 and that bike flew Up that hill and even when the battery ran out on that I was okay pedalling home as it was not to heavy, today when my battery ran out in my cube it honestly felt like I was pushing a cart full of bricks, every pedal was torture and I can’t have that level of anxiety on a bike ride knowing if my battery runs out , I will be struggling all the way home.

Lostis4d

Apr 21, 2020
How steep a hill? I have a activeline plus motor and quite often go up 10/12% hills with no problem in eco/tour mode and get over 60 miles with a 400 battery and my bike weighs exactly the same.
is there an app to help me work this out lol?

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
I came from riding a fairly basic hybrid none-e 20 - 25 miles a day on roads. What are your fitness levels , are you a regular rider.
I now ride fewer miles but over a mixed terrain so the allroad suits my needs. The nature hybrid 500 is more road focused with road tyres, it's lighter and handles canal paths and the like pretty well. I'm not sure if the tyres would take a battering on loose gravel but it's not reading that you intend to use an ebike for gravel tracks.
I fully charged my battery before my first ride, I've since charged it 4 times and I've completed 431 miles. Fully charge it tonight , although I doubt this will have reduced the assistance. Maybe your motor has a problem , when I ride in off mode it's not a dead weight or there'd be no way I would be getting up to 18-20 mph on flat roads. . Go for a quick ride tomorrow without the battery in and see how you get on, at 4kg it's not light. This way you'll know if the bike itself is too heavy for your use.
I'd also add that the smart sam tyres took about 150 miles to bed in

Modes and gears that I use:
Off , Eco and Tour: any gear.
Sport : 6 and below.
Turbo : 4 and below.

You should also be watching the range if low and a distance from home , I have been caught once with 0 range but still had assistance when needed in eco for the 3 miles I had to go.