Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 625 AllRoad

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does the 17mph reading mean the system is over reading speed as the GPS reads 15.5mph ? A 9.8% discrepancy that will also mean odo reading is out as well.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
So I’ve just taken a picture and it appears I’ve moved it to its correct position, mine was originally positioned to the right above the S.
The speed reading has been out since i first checked against gps. I’ve read elsewhere it’s common as to compensate for different tyres and air pressures , but over 10% seems too much and surely if they fit “smart sam” to this model then calibrate accordingly. I have increased tyres to 2.6 bar from 2.4 but it made no difference. I was going to ask at service time for them to recalibrate as it will be reading approx 1000miles for every 850 ridden. I’m doubting the reasons given about tyres.
On the fall it was mainly cosmetics to the derailleur, it was out of line when I started again so I‘ve gently pulled at the derailleur and hanger to line it up. I’ll get it all checked out when any of my local cube service shops reopen for servicing.

AF64E856-243D-47CE-85C2-A5CB582590F5.jpeg
3D130F71-41C8-4F1F-90CF-85641839C83B.jpeg

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
First of all I think this sounds like a very good crank drive bike.

But I also think that the posts of Lostis4d illustrate the boring importance of better research and more test rides of different types of bikes, of course not so easy during the lock down.

There is a sort of assumed belief prevalent at the moment that crank drive bikes are best in almost all circumstances and for every different type of person at the moment.

I have one and love it but bought mine for riding in potentially demanding and technical off road situations where crank drive bikes absolutely shine.

It sounds to me that Lostis4d for his first bike purchase might have far more enjoyed a good quality simple cadence rear hub bike and he would have really enjoyed riding it and in the process saved a lot of money.

Reactions: robert44

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
It sounds to me that Lostis4d for his first bike purchase might have far more enjoyed a good quality simple cadence rear hub bike and he would have really enjoyed riding it and in the process saved a lot of money.
Agreed I have a hub and a crank drive, both equally good but in differing ways.

Lostis4d

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2020
Yes guys you’re right In saying that.
im on my 3rd e-bike now due to lack of trying before purchase, and not doing the full research, but tbh even if to do All your research you would still need to take the bike on your usual commute to see if it rides in the style you were hoping/assuming it would ride, my first and second EBike were both purchased assuming it would write a certain way and each time I’ve got on my usual commute I realised this bike is not for me but it’s too late to return because I’ve left the showroom with it, so I’ve had to sell privately, luckily in this market not an issue.
- sizing is a big factor and each manufacturer plays differently so it’s Hard to know what size to pick, unless you take it for a ride, once again an short ride round the block most dealers will let you do gives a false impression, the iek will ride differently once you are really out and about up hills and on your usual commute, so I would take the mini test ride as a inclination of how the bike will ride rather than a guarantee. Even within the same brand there are sizing differences between how they size mountain vs Commuter bikes E.g CUBE
My friends think im a bike expert but in reality I’ve just ended picking up all these silly unwritten rules. Even the bike shop tell their staff that I know more about eBikes than they do.
ive realised a lot of EBike stores will bulls### you to try and sell you whatever they have in stock. Also the wrong size bike will make the motor feel draggy I’ve found, if you ride a bike that’s too Big for you, it will ride with more resistance than a bike that is your size or smaller than you.
- the motor is a key factor, there are variation in, size, noise, torque, resistance when pedalling, resistance after the motor cuts off
- battery size
- suspension forks
- number of gears VS what you need the bike for - no need for a 12 speed hub if all you do is ride in the city on flat terrain and on the other hand the 5 speed belt rive won’t help you much if you’re riding up hills constantly
tyres - grippy, vs high speed, this will depend on your use scenario of the bike on the regular terrain. No point loooking for thin commuter tyres if you’re constantly riding in the mud off roading.
price range - can you get a bike that ticks most of the boxes you need for a lot cheaper than ticking all the boxes. I can get a bike that does the job for all my boxes for 2k, but I ended up spending 3.5k because I wanted a Bosch Kiox with the bike. Yes I ended up with higher grade components, but ultimately the higher end components weren’t of massive benefit to me, as I am a casual commuter and don’t intend to use my bike to it’s full potential.
on a side note I know then SLX has 12 gears, but besides that they don’t feel any much smoother than the Shimano Deore 11 speed I and previously.
so please really do your research otherwise it’s an expensive lesson.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi guys,

love the forum template here and the community! I’m a total noob and I was almost put off by the review of cube 625 bikes after reading stuff here! But thanks to this post I was able to establish that one of cubes main sellers is in Halifax which is near to me and do discounts! So I called them and although the site advised no stock at all almost they had some stuff in store! The 2 bikes I was to look at were 500 cubes but they had just built this also https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m163b0s1132p39625/Electric_Bikes/Mens_Hybrid_Electric_Bikes/CUBE_Kathmandu_Hybrid_EXC_625_2021 which I bought for £2600!

I took It out last night and was blown away! How on earth anyone can say they struggle going uphill is beyond me, I actually chuckled with how these bikes turn hills into straights!

one question though is it only 33 miles on turbo mode for this battery, seems on paper it’s more....like eco is only showing 67.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi guys,

love the forum template here and the community! I’m a total noob and I was almost put off by the review of cube 625 bikes after reading stuff here! But thanks to this post I was able to establish that one of cubes main sellers is in Halifax which is near to me and do discounts! So I called them and although the site advised no stock at all almost they had some stuff in store! The 2 bikes I was to look at were 500 cubes but they had just built this also https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m163b0s1132p39625/Electric_Bikes/Mens_Hybrid_Electric_Bikes/CUBE_Kathmandu_Hybrid_EXC_625_2021 which I bought for £2600!

I took It out last night and was blown away! How on earth anyone can say they struggle going uphill is beyond me, I actually chuckled with how these bikes turn hills into straights!

one question though is it only 33 miles on turbo mode for this battery, seems on paper it’s more....like eco is only showing 67.
Most people ignore the predicted range figure. It calculates on the most recent part of a ride (don’t remember if it’s the last mile or last 5 mins or something like that). If you’ve just been up a steep hill the range will go down, go down a hill and the opposite happens. Use the % charge remaining to guide you on range. With the 625 you shouldn’t have to worry too much.

Reactions: Carlbiker

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Hi carlbiker,
not sure about negative reviews apart from the 1 poster on here who seemed to expect the bike to do all the work for them, I think they bought and sold 3 in as many weeks.
I had also planned to buy from the Halifax shop after speaking to them as I was in the vicinity just before lockdown but that weekend stumbled into a cube event, no shop local to me would match their prices. I was accidentally shown a screen in one shop with some of the wholesale prices so I know they could have matched, best I was offered was 5%.
I’m amazed they are still offering discounts when demand has been outstripping supply, so well done.
I'm nearly 6 months into ownership, it takes a few 100 miles to learn how to use the modes for the best efficiency and assistance. I’m managing inclines in tour which originally I had been using sport so I guess my fitness is also improving. I tend to switch between tour ,eco and off mode and I get around 90 miles between charges.Sport comes in handy against headwinds over 20mph making you a speed demon. I’ve had it showing 3 miles range and still coaxed it 10 miles home. Apart from the mishap when I fell off clipped in the bike itself hasn’t missed a beat. They are as sturdy as they look. Had mine serviced at 1000 miles , more for peace of mind as I doubt it was needed as I do regular checks of the brakes and bolts.
I see you also got the power update to 85nm, I’ll be asking the shop to flash this at the next service.
AF3E1C05-E591-4C25-87A5-026918A8B989.jpeg

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Most people ignore the predicted range figure. It calculates on the most recent part of a ride (don’t remember if it’s the last mile or last 5 mins or something like that). If you’ve just been up a steep hill the range will go down, go down a hill and the opposite happens. Use the % charge remaining to guide you on range. With the 625 you shouldn’t have to worry too much.
Ah I see, makes sense just like a car pretty much

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi carlbiker,
not sure about negative reviews apart from the 1 poster on here who seemed to expect the bike to do all the work for them, I think they bought and sold 3 in as many weeks.
I had also planned to buy from the Halifax shop after speaking to them as I was in the vicinity just before lockdown but that weekend stumbled into a cube event, no shop local to me would match their prices. I was accidentally shown a screen in one shop with some of the wholesale prices so I know they could have matched, best I was offered was 5%.
I’m amazed they are still offering discounts when demand has been outstripping supply, so well done.
I'm nearly 6 months into ownership, it takes a few 100 miles to learn how to use the modes for the best efficiency and assistance. I’m managing inclines in tour which originally I had been using sport so I guess my fitness is also improving. I tend to switch between tour ,eco and off mode and I get around 90 miles between charges.Sport comes in handy against headwinds over 20mph making you a speed demon. I’ve had it showing 3 miles range and still coaxed it 10 miles home. Apart from the mishap when I fell off clipped in the bike itself hasn’t missed a beat. They are as sturdy as they look. Had mine serviced at 1000 miles , more for peace of mind as I doubt it was needed as I do regular checks of the brakes and bolts.
I see you also got the power update to 85nm, I’ll be asking the shop to flash this at the next service.
View attachment 37960
its my first real bike as a ’grown up’ but love it! I was at the local park and went up ethe steepest hill sat down, it’s ridiculous and enables the impossible which is exciting!

eMTB mode is this in conjunction with the flash upgrade? I see this in sports mode but I’ve no idea what it does....the Instructions for the bike are totally generic and I was puzzled whether the battery needed a full charge before using.

can you experienced peeps let me know how to secure the bike for trips out, if it was camping or just going for a trip out etc.....or is it eyes on at all times, I mean the wheels clip off so guess you need to hook a chain all the way through somehow and fix that to something. I saw kryptonite locks with pictures cut through, apparently not grinder proof!

again the original poster must have had a broken bike or body not to get this up hill, it’s comical!

just for reference the Halifax store, their website slaps you with 10% off already reasonable prices but in store I reckon it’s 15%, currently there are some absolute throwaway prices on their remaining 2020 stock

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
eMTB mode gives the rider an automatic change of assistance between tour and sport so you are not manually changing through the modes while cycling. More handy for mountain bikers with constantly changing terrain and gradients.
My allroad has a Purion display so modes : off-eco-tour-sport-turbo which I have to change manually.
For me to have eMTB I'd have to purchase the Intuvia display that you have.

I’d say with any expensive bike it’s a risk to leave it locked up out of your eye view for more than a few minutes. Yes these bikes get a lot of looks as more people are becoming aware due to their popularity. Even when mine is attached to the bike rack I have an extra lock around the bike frame to the racks fixed rail plus a couple of speedy straps after seeing videos online of bikes being pulled off racks while the car is stopped in traffic. (cities mainly)
I purchased 2 OnGuard Pitbull locks with cable from tredz as they were on offer. I don’t really think any lock will be safe against 'professional' bike thieves but they are a good deterrent against the opportunist.
If you are going to transport it or leave your bike locked up take the battery out. As they come with a serial number card for the keys you may have a better chance of getting the bike back should it disappear.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Are these better than kryptonite locks you think?
Having never used a kryptonite lock I can’t comment on comparison.
I can say that the pitbulls are weighty and solid. I haven’t yet found a suitable mounting point for the holder so I either put it in my backpack or place it around the top frame and frame bag which helps hold it tightly in place while riding.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Having never used a kryptonite lock I can’t comment on comparison.
I can say that the pitbulls are weighty and solid. I haven’t yet found a suitable mounting point for the holder so I either put it in my backpack or place it around the top frame and frame bag which helps hold it tightly in place while riding.
I took mine for a 15 miler this morning but it feels like on each second rotation there’s like a little dragging noise, bit annoying when your aware of it, almost like when a wheel would catch a brake slightly or something, you ever had that?

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
I took mine for a 15 miler this morning but it feels like on each second rotation there’s like a little dragging noise, bit annoying when your aware of it, almost like when a wheel would catch a brake slightly or something, you ever had that?
Check that your rear brake holder is in line correctly, mine was slightly out of true on a ride and I could hear the skimming of a pad against the disc grooves.
It might not have been tightened enough. Invest in a torque wrench like this one for general maintenance so you don’t overtighten anything.
I always have a mini tool kit in a frame bag.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Combo-Torq-Wrench-Set_61547.htm

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
So another purchase this week to go with the allroad. Bought direct from the Giro website at what I think is a bargain price of £95 delivered. It was a toss up between this Giro Tyrant and the Giro Camden. As someone who’s used their forehead as a brake in the past I was after a helmet that would help more than a standard jobbie now that the roads are getting busy again. I was also after a helmet that was more biker style than cyclist. Prices are all over the place on the net so I was surprised to find Giro themselves were the best with p&p.
Really comfortable and snug fit with the turn knob, I like the ear protection and with extra pads included will mean warm ears in the winter. It weighs 700g.
Finished a 2 hour ride today in comfort and a cool head.

Attachments

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
So another purchase this week to go with the allroad. Bought direct from the Giro website at what I think is a bargain price of £95 delivered. It was a toss up between this Giro Tyrant and the Giro Camden. As someone who’s used their forehead as a brake in the past I was after a helmet that would help more than a standard jobbie now that the roads are getting busy again. I was also after a helmet that was more biker style than cyclist. Prices are all over the place on the net so I was surprised to find Giro themselves were the best with p&p.
Really comfortable and snug fit with the turn knob, I like the ear protection and with extra pads included will mean warm ears in the winter. It weighs 700g.
Finished a 2 hour ride today in comfort and a cool head.
Fantastic find thanks, will order this

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I've had my Cube cross offroad 4 months now and done about 1100 miles. I agree with all the previous posters it is a very good bike. I changed the points of contact early on. My B17 saddle, Wellgo pedals and comfort grips make it almost perfect for me. I changed out the skinwall Smart Sams after 50 miles and 2 punctures, for the last 1000 miles I have been running Marathon Plus Tour 55mm, expensive but a good compromise for mixed road and off road riding. I extended the front mudguard with a large mudflap and this seems to keep water off the motor when its wet, the original wasn't much good.
I have fitted a seat post rack as this model doesn't have anything, i have a bag with those side pouches that drop down if needed and it means i can carry tools, a waterproof and some snacks quite easily. I wanted a Cube touring model because of the 36 spoke wheels and originally was looking for a Kathmandu but this came up cheap as a cancelled order so i took a chance and i haven't regretted it.
Im a 105 kilos and the bike must weigh 30+ and i find it handles the hilly terrain of Fife & Perthshire where I live with ease. I ride almost exclusively in Tour onroad but when I ride steep off road hills the Sport and Turbo modes make it effortless. The 625 battery is good for 50 miles regardless of the terrain, you soon learn to interpret the battery life by using bars remaining and range figures, I have got back to the house after a 49 mile ride with one bar remaining and 3 miles range but feel it would go more. The Gen 4 motor is a big improvement and i hardly notice any drag above 16mph, also the 38t chainring i think is an improvement over the previous smaller rings. The power for me is more than adequate and I won't be bothering with the 85nm upgrade.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
I've had my Cube cross offroad 4 months now and done about 1100 miles. I agree with all the previous posters it is a very good bike. I changed the points of contact early on. My B17 saddle, Wellgo pedals and comfort grips make it almost perfect for me. I changed out the skinwall Smart Sams after 50 miles and 2 punctures, for the last 1000 miles I have been running Marathon Plus Tour 55mm, expensive but a good compromise for mixed road and off road riding. I extended the front mudguard with a large mudflap and this seems to keep water off the motor when its wet, the original wasn't much good.
I have fitted a seat post rack as this model doesn't have anything, i have a bag with those side pouches that drop down if needed and it means i can carry tools, a waterproof and some snacks quite easily. I wanted a Cube touring model because of the 36 spoke wheels and originally was looking for a Kathmandu but this came up cheap as a cancelled order so i took a chance and i haven't regretted it.
Im a 105 kilos and the bike must weigh 30+ and i find it handles the hilly terrain of Fife & Perthshire where I live with ease. I ride almost exclusively in Tour onroad but when I ride steep off road hills the Sport and Turbo modes make it effortless. The 625 battery is good for 50 miles regardless of the terrain, you soon learn to interpret the battery life by using bars remaining and range figures, I have got back to the house after a 49 mile ride with one bar remaining and 3 miles range but feel it would go more. The Gen 4 motor is a big improvement and i hardly notice any drag above 16mph, also the 38t chainring i think is an improvement over the previous smaller rings. The power for me is more than adequate and I won't be bothering with the 85nm upgrade.
I feel like I’m not getting very far with the gears on my Kathmandu....it’s like the hardest gear isn’t enough to use power im adding it’s quite frustrating so I’m looking into how to get it chipped maybe. A lot of the stuff you mentioned I don’t understand fully but learning thanks