Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 625 AllRoad

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
So another purchase this week to go with the allroad. Bought direct from the Giro website at what I think is a bargain price of £95 delivered. It was a toss up between this Giro Tyrant and the Giro Camden. As someone who’s used their forehead as a brake in the past I was after a helmet that would help more than a standard jobbie now that the roads are getting busy again. I was also after a helmet that was more biker style than cyclist. Prices are all over the place on the net so I was surprised to find Giro themselves were the best with p&p.
Really comfortable and snug fit with the turn knob, I like the ear protection and with extra pads included will mean warm ears in the winter. It weighs 700g.
Finished a 2 hour ride today in comfort and a cool head.
I kind of prefer the Camden but a lot for a helmet.....the tyrant would make me feel like having a bit of a mid life I think, I know it fits in with the biker look but I know what my other half would think

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
1500 mile mark today. My purchase list is increasing as I’m out on the bike at least 4 times a week plus local errands.
Winter jacket bought in the Aldi event : rainproof , light and very bright but cut a little short at the front if being picky , £15 so shouldn’t complain.
After less success with clipless pedals and shoes I purchased yellow mtb dmr pedals and a pair of O’Neal pinned mtb shoes which combined give almighty grip.Shoes are wide fit and very comfortable, pedals are shoe width wide!
Lastly I joined British cycling “ride” which gives 3rd party ins and legal assistance. Included with membership was a set of see.sense lights. As they say, great things come in small packages. The lights are controlled by a phone app, they have several light modes and brightness levels to choose. Light patterns have beeen designed with use of A.I and will flash more erratically when headlights are sensed . A two hour ride used 5% battery with them set to eco. They are Bluetooth linked so will also track mileage, it was very accurate. As a bonus they also detect movement so if your bike is locked up within 100m of your phone they will notify you almost immediately if they sense the bike is being moved, it works really well. They also have crash detection , not that I want to be the guineapig , it apparently sends a crash message and last coordinates to a nominated number.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
1500 mile mark today. My purchase list is increasing as I’m out on the bike at least 4 times a week plus local errands.
Winter jacket bought in the Aldi event : rainproof , light and very bright but cut a little short at the front if being picky , £15 so shouldn’t complain.
After less success with clipless pedals and shoes I purchased yellow mtb dmr pedals and a pair of O’Neal pinned mtb shoes which combined give almighty grip.Shoes are wide fit and very comfortable, pedals are shoe width wide!
Lastly I joined British cycling “ride” which gives 3rd party ins and legal assistance. Included with membership was a set of see.sense lights. As they say, great things come in small packages. The lights are controlled by a phone app, they have several light modes and brightness levels to choose. Light patterns have beeen designed with use of A.I and will flash more erratically when headlights are sensed . A two hour ride used 5% battery with them set to eco. They are Bluetooth linked so will also track mileage, it was very accurate. As a bonus they also detect movement so if your bike is locked up within 100m of your phone they will notify you almost immediately if they sense the bike is being moved, it works really well. They also have crash detection , not that I want to be the guineapig , it apparently sends a crash message and last coordinates to a nominated number.
Sounds quality how do the lights hook into the bike?

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
1 week away from a year old and the Allroad is going as well as the day I bought it , now at 2200 miles.
Recently had a service @ 2100 miles. According to the shop the chain and cassette are still in excellent condition, as I mainly ride roads with occasional light gravel track I was hoping this would be the case. With the service I had the software updated and now have the increased 85nm on Gen4 motor. I would say the extra torque is noticeable in ECO , I no longer have to press + TOUR after turning a corner to get back up to speed , there is enough extra grunt in ECO. I manged a hill on the Quantocks today in SPORT that a year ago I struggled to achieve in TURBO, I was out of breath but not panting like I remember. I would say anyone doubting the fitness benefits of ebikes needs buy and get out on one. I have a couple of friends that have purchased Bosch powered ebikes over lockdown, they are now converts. Another friend has ordered a Radpower Radrhino 5 so it will be interesting to ride that and see how a £1500 rear hub motored bike compares , it weighs in at 33kg which is a bit of a monster but good reviews online and youtube. I see they are regularly bought by hireshops in Europe.

A big thumbs up to Bicycle Chain Bridgwater, knowledgeable staff and excellent service.
A totally different experience to the service I received at a Bristol ebike shop.

Sunday update:
Managed a 22 mile ride this morning in ECO. This route is usually a combination of eco and tour. There’s definitely more assistance in eco than before the update. At the halfway point I was feeling it in my legs but kept on. The last 2 miles are shared path so always taken in eco and off mode as a cool down. The ride took me 13 minutes longer. 1.26 v 1.39.
I left with an eco range of 17 miles , on return still showing 4. Slight range anxiety at the beginning but dismissed halfway.

Here is my report:

Attachments

Last edited:

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Just coming up to 3000 miles. The forks have been squeaking for some time so with the next service I've booked some rockshock air replacements, the rear freewheel is also on its way out, the shop have rebuilt it as best as possible temporarily as typically these are impossible to source at the moment so a new back wheel is my only option to sort the problem.
Since the power update the motor is definitely louder but the shop says its normal from their feedback , I've not noticed any drop in range but I do spend more time in eco than previously.

edit: Today I've managed to source a new hub through some internet searching on hub problems. It would seem the Shimano hub can be fragile but mainly due to QC. Finding the correct hub is a minefield but I lucked out that a rider with same Cube Allroad had the hub go and linked the part supplied through Aliexpress. 2 weeks shipping from Singapore which beats all lead times I've been given by dealers. Price with shipping £27.18 , quite a saving over a £145 replacement wheel.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
The hubs are shimano tourney, so pretty much bottom of the range, which means theres less emphasis of weight saving, or longevity. Maybe look to swop them out for something else.
Plus the bearing system is cup and cone and something like sealed cartridge would be better suited, especially for inclement British weather.

Well done on the forks, the Suntour one is a pretty heavy weight bit of kit about 6lbs, you could find the RS one maybe a kg lighter. My Fox 36's only weigh 4 1/2lbs, but even thats considered heavyweight by some standards.

Now you'vve done a considerable milage and some parts are nearing the end of their life, perhaps time to do a bit of research and opt for something higher up the food chain so to speak, usually that means lighter and better made.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Good Reply.
The trouble is getting parts!
I have to say Bicycle Chain have been great and informative showing me options. They can't get a replacement upgraded hub until mid November , a replacement uprated wheel and hub was possible for October but it will need a different holder for either the brake or derailleur , I cant remember which. The forks I've ordered are £175 , the next available £475!
I'm planning on some winter sun so the bike will get lots of use , I'm thinking to replace the hub with same for the trip and then upgrade when I return. Reading now how poor some of these components are I think I've done pretty well to get this far with them.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Ahh yes indeed, the real pain in the bum stock levels currently at rock bottom, everyone's finding that a pain, but I personally think we're on the right side of things and it will pick up shortly.

You could always look to ebay for replacements. Plenty of 'dealers' on there specialize in forks or wheels or the like.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Finally after 20 months I’ve gotten to use my bike on the roads I purchased it for. On day 3 I conquered the hill that crucified me on my non-e which had prompted me to search out ebikes , which led me to my purchase. Some of these roads require turbo to climb which I doubt I’d used in 1% of total mileage to date. Still knackered by the crest but I’ve made it without pausing or pushing, I’m on the brakes doing 30mph descending to give an idea of the steepness. Absolutely loving it , 25-30 miles daily, everything performing as it should. I’m getting 2 hill rides and a 3rd less stressful level ride from a full charge , just over 80 miles with some forward planning which I think is great.

1FD70427-7807-4F2D-9FFD-C8D9E6D7D225.jpeg1B04D171-E026-4DCA-B08C-32DB81B03968.jpeg323C7E1C-2CAC-4C88-9056-F7F720EF7471.jpeg1099A084-8DCE-4C8E-8D18-1F219BB0649C.jpeg

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
What mode of assistance have you set it at ?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks to this forum, today I made my first ebike purchase.
After much reading ,looking and test riding I was toing and froing between the reaction hybrid pro 500 and the nature hybrid 500 exc.
By complete chance today I came across a bike show at Wheelbase in Staveley with Cube being highly represented.
After a chat with the CUBE UK rep my deposit was placed on an in stock ‘cross hybrid pro 625’

View attachment 34242
Great looking bike. Can't go wrong with a Cube ebike, I have a 2018 Cube Reaction Race 29er that I use for commuting. I have some steep inclines on my ride home and I just can't do them on a non ebike. I've derestricted mine as I didn't like the resistance above 15mph, can the current Cubes be derestricted at all?

I run Schwalbe Big Ben tyres for road commuting and switch to the Original Scwalbe Sams for winter.

Whilst changing the tyre cover today I fitted a mudguard to the front to keep my feet dry in the rain, it's a SKS Velo 65 Mountain Mudguard 29". It's actually a ear mudguard so that it covers more of my front wheel...

mg1.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
can the current Cubes be derestricted at all
depends where the magnet is located as most now seem to mount them on the disc rotors which is a pita if you want bigger ones but the dongles wired in to the motors still work atm, tho a software update to the bike could brick the dongle.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
What mode of assistance have you set it at ?
Pretty much using it as usual. Higher gears + Eco and off on level stuff , Tour for slight inclines and then lower gears + Sport when on a steep climb with a press to Turbo when sport is not enough. Some of these hills must be close to 30°. I can’t see the downhill section when I reach the crest on a few. Fun but a bit hairy on the descents.
I managed a 6 mile ride on 1 mile range the other day by monitoring my assistance usage , I do plan my routes around the range if getting low to get the most from the battery.
Charges to full from bar seem to be taking longer so my next investment will be a quicker charger.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
depends where the magnet is located as most now seem to mount them on the disc rotors which is a pita if you want bigger ones but the dongles wired in to the motors still work atm, tho a software update to the bike could brick the dongle.
I'm using a Badass, I wonder if one could still be used on current Cubes, even of the magnet is on the rotor?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I'm using a Badass, I wonder if one could still be used on current Cubes, even of the magnet is on the rotor?
my m8 has a focus bike and it is on the brake rotor but can pull the speed sensor cable out enough to mount it on a different bracket so can use the bad ass dongle.

if that is not a option you can put the magnet back on the spokes and just find a different way to mount the sensor with the dongle fitted over it.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
my m8 has a focus bike and it is on the brake rotor but can pull the speed sensor cable out enough to mount it on a different bracket so can use the bad ass dongle.

if that is not a option you can put the magnet back on the spokes and just find a different way to mount the sensor with the dongle fitted over it.
That's good, wasn't sure if people like Bosch had developed software to prevent them working. I wouldn't like to ride mine without it being derestricted.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tho it is only a matter of time as still no one has cracked the can bus problem but with the new power tube batts you have to destroy them to take them apart :rolleyes:

with all these new smart displays and software updates via your phone bricking your wired in dongle could be just 1 update away.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Not a bad location to add another milestone. Also liking the new features (to me) on the Fitbit app.
36F54F52-2545-49B4-B731-51A46BA77ADE.jpeg EFCCA16F-EFD2-4482-A16F-AE64B593E0C6.png

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
The end of this particular chapter for me , I've just received my new steed.
3 months of mixed use in Spain made me think a different approach of bike was needed once I'd conquered the hills and headed into the mountains. Although the allroad was more than capable the descents were starting to scare me as I was perched on instead of sat within the frame.
The allroad is booked in this Friday for a service, my rebuilt wheel with new hub and spokes refitted along with a new chain and cassette. I've had 4200 mainly trouble free cycling , just the hub which decided to turn into a rattle at 2000 miles and one puncture at 3800.
For sale next week.

New steed is a Cube Stereo 140R ,medium frame - 625 tube - cx4 85 motor.
I thought if I was going to buy new it had to be an upgrade.
This comes with 4 pot brakes, 12 gears, remote dropper post, Kiox dispay.
140 r.jpg

140 r p.jpg
I've added the mudguards but will probably go small for the summer.
Muckynutz front and Mudhugger long rear, RaceFace Chester green pedals.