Help! Cube Stereo full suspension conversion.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The hd has several different chainwheels with different amounts of dish but you still might find the pedal arms foul the frame or the motor catches the stay and needs a spacer
you will not know until you strip the bb out and measure you cannot try before you buy
Problems seem to be the norm with fs bikes

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Thanks for the info. It helps to see how others are getting on with fitting these kits. Is that going to work for you?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes it worked first time but it takes planning and a bit of luck my latest on my kona unit had a meeting with the grinder and some paint

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
The hd has several different chainwheels with different amounts of dish but you still might find the pedal arms foul the frame or the motor catches the stay and needs a spacer
you will not know until you strip the bb out and measure you cannot try before you buy
Problems seem to be the norm with fs bikes
Sounds like a nightmare to get them setup.
If I order the kit from say Aliexpress where would I get different chainrings from and spacers etc. I think I will need a 36t chainring as my current 36t chainring is about 5mm from the chain stay.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The chain wheel will not be in the same place on the bbs when compared to a non powered bike check the spec drawings
you will never go back to standard once you try electric
The 36 will not work the chain line cannot get near with less than a 42 tooth I learnt this the hard and expensive way
Do not believe the crap some of the far east sellers give you they just move boxes read the disclaimers
check out my voodoo zobop build on here more pics and bb problems

Reactions: Bodgeitnscarper

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Is it normal for the bb to be 76mm? Would a hollow tech II fit on a 76mm bb?
I measured it as best I could. Not sure I fancy grinding down the bb on the cube as i wont be able to put it back to stock in the future.
Does the hd offer a better chain line?
You've probably included one of the spacers in that measurement. 73mm is the standard.

Tarmacexpert1962

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2018
Esher
Converted a 2011 Cube Full Sus AMS 130 Pro using the Woosh SWX02 48V kit, has a Shimano press fit 92 bottom bracket and hollow tech crank so a nightmare on clearance and impossible for mid drive, I removed the granny ring and bolted the PAS ring in its place, machined the PAS ring internal hole to fit, so it's now a double 44/32 and middle ring is plenty low enough for steep climbs, I had to epoxy and use a tapping screw for the actual PAS sensor trigger under the bottom bracket, I have a 10 speed screw on freewheel 11-34 from China on the rear but it's a 26 incher MTB so old school. Battery fits well as the shock is under the top tube, used a shimano DI2 spacer so I didn't need to drill new holes and it moves the battery up a few cm, Fab machine off road as so much torque low down, tops out at about 18 mph and weighs just over 20kg, first conversion was a Carrera Vulcan which gave me the confidence to convert my Cube. Have done 1600 miles on the motor including 3 weeks in the Alps and its superb, quiet and very torquey , handling of the bike is not compromised and vastly superior to the Carrera on downhill tracks. Its worth persevering is all I would say as its def possible to convert a Full Sus despite those that say otherwise... Some ingenuity is all that's needed

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Converted a 2011 Cube Full Sus AMS 130 Pro using the Woosh SWX02 48V kit, has a Shimano press fit 92 bottom bracket and hollow tech crank so a nightmare on clearance and impossible for mid drive, I removed the granny ring and bolted the PAS ring in its place, machined the PAS ring internal hole to fit, so it's now a double 44/32 and middle ring is plenty low enough for steep climbs, I had to epoxy and use a tapping screw for the actual PAS sensor trigger under the bottom bracket, I have a 10 speed screw on freewheel 11-34 from China on the rear but it's a 26 incher MTB so old school. Battery fits well as the shock is under the top tube, used a shimano DI2 spacer so I didn't need to drill new holes and it moves the battery up a few cm, Fab machine off road as so much torque low down, tops out at about 18 mph and weighs just over 20kg, first conversion was a Carrera Vulcan which gave me the confidence to convert my Cube. Have done 1600 miles on the motor including 3 weeks in the Alps and its superb, quiet and very torquey , handling of the bike is not compromised and vastly superior to the Carrera on downhill tracks. Its worth persevering is all I would say as its def possible to convert a Full Sus despite those that say otherwise... Some ingenuity is all that's needed
I have considered a rear wheel kit as a compromise but do they come with through axles? My cube has a 15mm through axle on the rear.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My higher powered rear wheel drive conversions have felt to heavy and unbalanced for my tastes, and very battery current hungry but it might be the only choice if you want to be able to revert to standard.
If you cut a few mm off the bb you might get the bike of your dreams
suggest remove the bracket get accurate measurements before you go any further then use cardboard template to check if the bbs will fit

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
My higher powered rear wheel drive conversions have felt to heavy and unbalanced for my tastes, and very battery current hungry but it might be the only choice if you want to be able to revert to standard.
If you cut a few mm off the bb you might get the bike of your dreams
suggest remove the bracket get accurate measurements before you go any further then use cardboard template to check if the bbs will fit
I agree with checking measurements carefully. If i bought a bbs and it didn't fit I'd have to sell my cube or sell the kit at a loss.

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Hello again,
I have a few more questions if anyone would be so kind to help me?

Been really busy at work so this project has had no attention for a few days.
I've taken out the Hollowtech II BB and measured the BB at 73mm.
I have printed out the bbs02 diagram and think it will fit but had doubts about the pedal clearance on the non chain side. I have looked at similar conversion photos on an American site and am more confident the pedal arm will clear.

Then I get to ordering the kit and get bamboozled with where to go for the best service and competitive pricing.

Looked on Aliexpress at Bestebikes store then Amazon UK (dispatched from Germany) which is a little more expensive although not exactly like for like with the battery.

I keep going around in circles really then giving up. Where does everyone buy their kits from currently?

Looking for a BBS02B with 48V 17ah battery, gearchange sensor, hydraulic brake sensor for the rear brake and a 42t chain ring. I plan to set it up with the 42t chain ring and go from there.
Currently have a 36T chain ring and granny ring with 10 speed cassette.

Thanks Pedelecs

Bodge

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
That's going to be a very close thing if it fits it will be only by a fag paper or expensive lekkie pedal arms
Peter, on your avatar picture I notice the bike has a battery pack in a bag. What kind of battery is it please? To add to my Cube woes I think I will need a triangular battery or mount a regular one under the downtube.

Edit* I have scrolled through your posts and found the for sale post.

Thanks
Bodge

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Its a 48v battery came from ali express with the bag but added a few extra straps
on the tread is a picture of the battery with a qr code sticker
I finally sold this week just about broke even:D
I think iwill not do another fs bike for a while :eek::rolleyes: