Help! Cube Stereo full suspension conversion.

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Had the same fault it was the speed sensor cable at the led end, I had pulled it to tight with a cable tie:rolleyes:
I already tried that, I have taken all of the tie wraps off to make sure, also taken the plug off and refitted.
I was travelling on a tarmac cycle path when it first showed on PAS 5 and pedalling. I had used just the throttle to coast prior to the code showing.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes it did flash, but a quick wiggle of the cable soon caused the fault code, pinched the wire to tight pulled it at an angle
what gap is there between the magnet and the sensor ?
Have changed any of the programme settings ?

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Yes it did flash, but a quick wiggle of the cable soon caused the fault code, pinched the wire to tight pulled it at an angle
what gap is there between the magnet and the sensor ?
Have changed any of the programme settings ?
The cable to the sensor is not too tight, the magnet is about 2mm away and the light flashes when the magnet passes.
I did change the units to imperial and battery voltage and wheel size. I did a factory reset and tested again and it was the same.

My first choice would be to test another speed sensor but where to start...... Do I raise the issue with Pswpower or sort it myself?

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
I have been out most of the day today riding and covered 30 miles or so on cycle tracks and challenging woodland tracks. I have been up hills that would of had me on my back before the upgrade and I have enjoyed an evening cycle with my very fit 17 year old lad.
I don't have any speed registering and error 21H is constantly on the screen but everything else works fine.
I have ordered a new sensor as a first item to eliminate, if it doesn't fix the speed sensor issue I will have to rethink my options.

Thanks for all the great advice folks.

Bodge

Attachments

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Hello again, just a quick update.....
Following much testing and about 150 odd miles on tracks and fields/woodlands I decided to change my cassette to an 11-42 along with a Wolf tooth Goat link and it fits very well. My main concern was keeping the revs up on steep steep hills and the exsisting 34 tooth 1st gear got me up the hills but revs felt a little too low.
Not tested on tracks yet but coupled with a new chain and decent lube I'm hoping for good things.

My error reading is still on the display and I have contacted PSWpower to see if I can get it resolved. It is quite a slow process pinging emails over to Alice in China and going over the same things again and again but I think we are moving in the right direction. She suggests trying different gaps between the wheel sensor and magnet, it is currently around 2mm but i have tried lots of gaps out.

Next she suggests changing the display then the controller.

Cheers
Bodge

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Hi there,
I have recently purchased a second hand Cube Stereo full suspension bike. It is the best bike I have owned. I am a reasonably fit big bloke nearing the big 50 and have a very physical job (removals) and walk well over 10k steps daily.
My 17 year old son has now taken pole position on our rides and I want to be able to ride with him without throwing up.
I have considered getting a factory e-bike but love this Cube.
My recent research has confused me somewhat. I'm not sure a mid drive conversion is possible and the rear of the cube has a 15mm through axle. Not happy to go for a front wheel kit.
Has anybody converted a full suspension to a useable standard?

Thanks
Bodge
Only with a bafang rear hub as I might have had too much underhang with a centre motor. Depends on what type of rides you and your son do. My Giant Full suspension conversion has even done most of the 7Staines trails (not black though!) The bigger problem is where will you fit the battery? Not easy with the small triangle in the frame. I had to settle for using a seat post mounted carrier, stripped of side rails, to mount the battery. Did mean I was a tad light when going up some twisty slow turns but at least not much chance of doing a header over the bars! One day I will reposition it on top of the top tube when the present battery is finished.02 Note the shortened cranks.JPG

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Only with a bafang rear hub as I might have had too much underhang with a centre motor. Depends on what type of rides you and your son do. My Giant Full suspension conversion has even done most of the 7Staines trails (not black though!) The bigger problem is where will you fit the battery? Not easy with the small triangle in the frame. I had to settle for using a seat post mounted carrier, stripped of side rails, to mount the battery. Did mean I was a tad light when going up some twisty slow turns but at least not much chance of doing a header over the bars! One day I will reposition it on top of the top tube when the present battery is finished.View attachment 32226
Thanks for the reply,
If you flick through the post you will see that I managed to fit the mid drive unit and get a 21ah battery in the frame. All a bit of a squeeze but it went.

Paul chef

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Llanelli, Wales
I have a cube ltd pro HT, best bike I’ve ever owned until I wanted to convert it to an ebike. Chainstay issues, chain line issues, battery won’t fit in triangle. In the end I decided not to continue with it, I’m now converting a Giant NRS2 FS frame instead. I didn’t want to use my cube as a donor so quietly purchasing bits on the QT with out SWMBO realising LOL.
And now befang have this new mid drive motor, with frames coming out of China that are bolt on for the befang, maybe when I’ve done my Giant, I may start saving for one

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
I just had the same issue today. I managed to pinch the cable connecting the speed sensor to the controller while installing new bike stand :rolleyes:. The damage is about 6 inches away from the controller, so it’s at about 1/5th of the length of the cable. The controller shows 21H error about 3 seconds into the ride, but contrary to Bodgeitnscarper's in my case the motor stops after error 21H pops up on the screen.

Is there a way to bypass it and keep the motor running despite the error 21H, so that the bike can be used whilst I work on fixing the issue?

And is there a way to simply replace the damaged cable, rather than replacing the whole controller?

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
Thanks. Is there a way to keep the motor running until I fix it? From what I read the error 21H usually allows the motor to keep running, but in my case it stops and stays unresponsive until switched off & on again.

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
Mine functions fine albeit with no speed/distance etc. I did turn off auto power off to stop the motor turning off.
I have just received a new controller from PSWpower and am yet to fit it.

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
I checked the display manual and it says the setting allow you to change auto-off between 1min to 9min. The issue I have is motor immedially cuts off once error 21 pops up - which is typically about 3 seconds into the ride. Have you had the same issue, or did your motor keep going despite the error?