Cycle Computor

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
I would like to buy a SIMPLE WIRELESS cycle computor with a reasonably good sized display, I only need speed, trip and total distance and wheel diameter setting but I suppose I will have to have loads more functions that I do not need.
Can anyone advise which would be a good one to buy ?
Thanks - Allan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wireless cycle computers can be very troublesome due to interference making them read crazy at times. This has proved especially true with many e-bikes due to interference from the bike's electronics.

In wired computers that give what you need, I'd recommend the Cateye Velo 5 model, no frills, just the basics, but very dependable and available in numerous cycle shops at a low price. If you wanted average journey speed as well for any reason, the Velo 8 model adds that.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes Flecc - mines wireless and it was great for a while. Now I've noticed the speed suddenly dropping down to single figures and back. First I thought it was me not seating it properly. Then I thought it was my mobile phone. Now it seems to have gotten much worse in the cold so possibly it's the battery even though it can't be very old.
The electric hub is on the front wheel. Maybe my wireless unit works only 100%, without interference, when the computer battery is 100%.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks Flecc & Barnowl for the replies - I would rather replace the batteries every couple of months than have a wire if at all possible. What make/model do you use Barnowl and can it make a difference if it is mounted away from any other handlebar electronics ? Would you buy wireless again or would you go with the wired one to be safe ? - Allan

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sorry Al mines a Trek Incite that came with my bike. Apart from this intermittent issue with the speed it's been fine. Have you tried thread search. This is a topic that crops up regularly and someones bound to have recommended something.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Reviews on amazon often comment on how well the units deal with interference, may give you an idea. The complaints on there tend to be about flashing LEDs that cause interference.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Just did a thread search on "cycle computer". Most posts are recommendations for wired and/or problems with wireless (espeacially front hun bikes). I agree with Mussels Amazon is always a good place to look.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The electric hub is on the front wheel. Maybe my wireless unit works only 100%, without interference, when the computer battery is 100%.
That's almost certainly the case, these batteries being very exposed to the cold, especially the transmitter one on the fork. That one might need changing very frequently in winter.

It's true that previous threads have reported widespread interference problems with wireless cycle computers, only the odd one or two completely trouble free. Apart from the bike's electronics, some of the interference troubles have been from various transmitter masts with periods during journeys of speeds reading ridiculously high, in turn multiplying the reading of distance travelled of course.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
I have just noticed my spelling error, it should be "COMPUTER" not COMPUTOR as I had written - good job my old mum doesn,t look on these forums or I would be in big trouble. Spelling never was my best subject - I was always to busy taking things apart to see how they worked. back to the Cycle Computer - I will go with the wired version and just try to keep the wire as neat as possible. Cateye Velo 5 as flecc suggested at £7.49 should do the job. Thanks - Allan.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have just noticed my spelling error, it should be "COMPUTER" not COMPUTOR as I had written - good job my old mum doesn,t look on these forums or I would be in big trouble. Spelling never was my best subject - I was always to busy taking things apart to see how they worked. back to the Cycle Computer - I will go with the wired version and just try to keep the wire as neat as possible. Cateye Velo 5 as flecc suggested at £7.49 should do the job. Thanks - Allan.
One tip on the Velo 5 Allan. The default setting is in Kilometres, so after inserting the battery, toggle the push button to get Miles instead before pressing the recessed button to move onto the next setting.

If you miss doing that the battery has to be removed to reset it before you can alter the odometer mode.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks again - I have just ordered two from CycleExpress.co.uk at £7.49 each inc post - I am off tomorrow to 50 cycles to buy my wife an Agattu to fit it on !! - I bought mine a couple of days ago from the Classifieds on the forum. - Allan.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Hi

Well done a speedo will change your life completely.

thx

Bob
Computer arrived today - Yes it will most likely change my life completely because I will no doubt hit something and have a big crash whilst trying to focus on the numbers on this tiny display. - I am not even sure I will bother to fit it - Never had one before so I had no idea they were so small.

Is there one available with a decent sized display ?? -
Allan

Last edited:

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Bike computer

I think you have been fed a load of old codswallop by a couple of wired enthusiasts. My computer came from Halfords, is a wireless type made by Bikehut (their own brand) and as it was a present I cannot tell you the exact price but I believe it is around the £15 mark.

I have had no trouble with it, the figures are quite large and easy to read and I have never replaced batteries other than the one in the unit itself.

It does provide more information than either you or I need, so I just leave it set on the basics, distance, speed etc. It will also give the time and the temperature if you feel so inclined. Setting up is relatively easy if you follow the leaflet that comes with it.

Good luck

Rod

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think you have been fed a load of old codswallop by a couple of wired enthusiasts. My computer came from Halfords, is a wireless type made by Bikehut (their own brand) and as it was a present I cannot tell you the exact price but I believe it is around the £15 mark.

I have had no trouble with it, the figures are quite large and easy to read and I have never replaced batteries other than the one in the unit itself.
You were lucky then as the wireless one I had suffered a lot from interference and I've seen a lot of reviews where they don't work if there is a flashing light fitted to the bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you have been fed a load of old codswallop by a couple of wired enthusiasts.

Rod
I'm not in the habit of posting a load of old codswallop Rod, I post what I've found and also remark on others observations.

You've been lucky where you are, but that doesn't invalidate other's experiences, and the past threads on this subject show just how many have had no luck with wireless models, particularly on e-bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Computer arrived today - Yes it will most likely change my life completely because I will no doubt hit something and have a big crash whilst trying to focus on the numbers on this tiny display. - I am not even sure I will bother to fit it - Never had one before so I had no idea they were so small.

Is there one available with a decent sized display ?? -
Allan
Most have this size lettering Allan, but some have them a little larger. The difference isn't exactly dramatic though, so best have a look around first to see if you can read them first. I must say I'm a bit surprised that you think you wont be able to read the Velo, my eyesight is only a shadow of what it once was but I have no difficulty while riding.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Most have this size lettering Allan, but some have them a little larger. The difference isn't exactly dramatic though, so best have a look around first to see if you can read them first. I must say I'm a bit surprised that you think you wont be able to read the Velo, my eyesight is only a shadow of what it once was but I have no difficulty while riding.
Perhaps I should try it before I make my comments - I was just so surprised at the size, I was expecting something twice the size.

I have no experience at all with cycle computers large or small,wired or unwired which is why I asked for expert advice.

I respect the opinion of someone that has experience with a particular item and will give it a fair try.

At £7.49 I suppose it should be half the size.

Allan