Cycle Computor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're not alone in wanting larger numbers Allan, others have remarked on the small size before, but most seem to manage nonetheless.

It's a pity that there are no analogue speed displays like car speedometers, since a moving needle or bar is much easier to glance at than having to read off numbers.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I think you have been fed a load of old codswallop by a couple of wired enthusiasts.
I used a wireless computer for years quite happily on my old MTB, but it would not work when I moved it to my current electric bike. I finally deduced that because it is a 20"-wheel folder with correspondingly short forks, the brake assembly was in the way of the signal path. Also, of course, it meant a slightly longer distance from the sensor to the computer on the handlebars.
A new £8 wired model from Argos is fine, and has the advantage of starting automatically when I set off, instead of my having to remember to turn it on (which I often didn't) on the old wireless model.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Al - That Velo5 speedo is practically the same size as mine. The screen on the Velo might be a tad smaller but there's not much in it.
I need reading glasses to read the small digits on mine but like the Velo the actual MPH is large enough to read at a glance. I tend to look at the rest of the stuff when I'm off my bike. Makes sense not to spend much time looking at the speedo when you're cycling. Also they're just the right size to pop into your shirt pocket so's they don't get nicked when you leave your bike.

I'd just like to add that my Cytronex came with an LED lamp that illuminates the trip computer whenever I turn the lights on (on/off button for the lights next to the lamp). This is powered directly by the Cytronex battery. I didn't think much of it when I bought it in September but since I started cycling home in the dark I've found it quite useful. Might be unique to Cytronex though.

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Why on earth would you want a wireless speedo? I saw them and immediately thought, what's the point. A wireless console controller, yes, I get it, no wires to trip over and freedom of movement. But on a bike?????

Shop assistant - here we have two speedos sir, they both do the same thing but one uses twice as many batteries and may prove unreliable. Hmmm, let me think...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Why on earth would you want a wireless speedo? I saw them and immediately thought, what's the point. A wireless console controller, yes, I get it, no wires to trip over and freedom of movement. But on a bike?????

Shop assistant - here we have two speedos sir, they both do the same thing but one uses twice as many batteries and may prove unreliable. Hmmm, let me think...
Same reasons as wanting fewer spokes, a little bit lighter, a little less wind resistance and a more than a little bit of vanity. To get it you pay more and lose reliability.
If you aren't running an expensive road bike in races then it's just paying more for vanity.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
Why on earth would you want a wireless speedo? I saw them and immediately thought, what's the point.

Because there would be no wires !! no more cable ties, clips or tape, fragile wires can break, fragile connections can fail with water ingress , to look neater, I like technology, just because you can !!
But not if those before have experienced problems that have not been overcome yet -- which is why I asked !!!
Now the experts have advised against I still want a wireless speedo but will not have one until the problems that I have been advised of are solved !!!!!!!!

If the shop assistant said - here we have two speedos sir, they both do the same thing, use the same ammount of batteries and are both as reliable . Hmmm, let me think...

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Because there would be no wires !! no more cable ties, clips or tape, fragile wires can break, fragile connections can fail with water ingress , to look neater, I like technology, just because you can !!
You know you can wind the wire around your fork. No cable ties. No clips. No tape. I have never, ever, had a cycle computer wire break. These issues simply don't exist.

Also, I've never had the battery run out in my magnet. It's the perks of using one of these new hi-tech wired cycle computers you know! Much more advanced than a wireless cycle computer. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love technology and I'm a bit of a gadget freak, but there's got to be a point to it before it interests me. It has to be of some benefit to me rather than making my life more difficult.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I also have a wire speedo on my aggatu but the magnet that fits on the spokes keeps moving can this part be replaced with a new one.nigel.

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
GPS systems are future in this area, I'm sure. I used to cycle with a Garmin GPS 40, mainly for navigation but it also gave a useful speed display to check my speedo calibration. The picture attached is of the setup I used on a C2C trip a few years back. Modern GPS units are far smaller than this now.

Attachments

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
I also have a wire speedo on my aggatu but the magnet that fits on the spokes keeps moving can this part be replaced with a new one.nigel.
When I opened the box to look at mine I thought that looked a possibility - What about a small dab of epoxy on the spoke at the correct fitting position ? I am sure that others who have used these for a while may have other suggestions though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I usually lodge the magnet at a crossover point of the spokes which tends to locate it positively, adjusting the fork pickup to suit.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nigel

A great many of the magnets are designed for machines where each spoke crosses two others. You need the sliding collar type designed for single spoke fixing as in the halfords type HERE

Another type that would do it, are the ones designed for blade spokes. You can find those under computer spares on the Bonethrone website.

It doesn't matter what magnet you use, as long as it's set at the correct distance it'll work with any sensor.

Good luck

Bob

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
That's almost certainly the case, these batteries being very exposed to the cold, especially the transmitter one on the fork. That one might need changing very frequently in winter.

I went out on a good long run today. The temperature today is about 12 degrees C rather than the more usual 2/3 degrees c of late. No problems at all with ny wireless computer. Last Sunday it was all over the place till finally settling at 0.00mph. So at least one issue with wireless computers and e-bikes confirmed. Personally I can live it.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Which is more than I can say for the batteries in my wireless keyboard that ae drivig m nts.

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
I went out on a good long run today. The temperature today is about 12 degrees C rather than the more usual 2/3 degrees c of late. No problems at all with ny wireless computer. Last Sunday it was all over the place till finally settling at 0.00mph. So at least one issue with wireless computers and e-bikes confirmed. Personally I can live it.
What make is your computer and which bike are you using it on please Barnowl

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
My experience with cycle comps

I have to agree with flecc :eek: I had a wireless comp on my Agattu that worked great during the warm weather, but cold weather made it almost useless and added to that the refresh rate wasn't very good (it was VDO A08+). I bought this comp. despite advice from flecc on this forum because I wanted a wireless comp.

Well I have sold my Agattu now and have rebuilt my homemade ebike using a 500 watt Cylcone motor (which I will post about later). The wireless comp. no longer works with this set-up because the motor interferes with the signal. I have gone back to using a wired comp. - and it is so much better - just wish I had listened to flecc's advice on this one. The comp. I now have for those interested is a Topeak Comp 130 which is excellent.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I briefly had a wireless speedo... It worked fine when I span the front wheel by hand... It didn't work at all when I went for a ride. It went back after 1 day. I haven't bothered to replace it yet... I figure I'm better off not knowing how fast or slow i'm going.