Cycle Computor

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the problem with these is that very often the sensor (usually fixed with cable ties) and magnet move away from each other as the sensor works loose... once the sensor is in position you can fix the whole thing with gaffer tape as well but it won't look pretty....

You can get various GPS receivers with bike mounts for less than £100 these days, even with backlit colour displays. I had one on my normal pushbike and just transferred it to the salisbury.

A bit more pricey but very accurate provided you can get a signal and you get not just speed but position and have all sorts of other functions such as transferring data to and from electronic maps, and of course you can also use the unit in the car/on foot/ - in some cases even indoors(!)

On both both my bikes I used to run both the GPS and the standard computers in parallel but have now removed the computers and just have the GPS on a bike mount. The Garmin Etrex HC I use is very robust and waterproof, and has a decent size display without being too distracting..

(Tip : wrap the wrist strap around the light mount or handlebars so if the mount does work loose it the unit doesn't hit the deck at speed).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
GPS can be good, but I value and need bike total mileage and time run together with accurate trip recording of distance and time which I prefer to the unreliability of battery meters to determine range. Using GPS for these is too fiddly and time consuming, and there's also the issue of battery charge life being too short for long runs with many GPS units.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
What make is your computer and which bike are you using it on please Barnowl
Hi PED-AL

My bike is a Cytronex Trek 7.3FX. This bike uses the Tongxin front hub motor. The computer is provided with the Cytronex as standard. The computer is a Trek Incite 9i. It has all the usual wheel size setups and a custom option. RRP is £29.99 but may be able to find them cheaper. I can't say whether it will work for you but I find it acceptable.

Current speed
Average speed
Maximum speed
Odometer
Trip distance
Elapsed time
12/24-hour clock
Temperature
Pacer

BTW. Cytronex have added a "datalite". Whenever you switch the lights on the Datalite illuminates the trip computer (or virtually any other handlebar mounted computer you use). Unlike a trip computer back light, this is powered directly by the Cytronex battery. I think this is something specific to the Cytronex though. Not sure.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
GPS can be good, but I value and need bike total mileage and time run together with accurate trip recording of distance and time which I prefer to the unreliability of battery meters to determine range. Using GPS for these is too fiddly and time consuming, and there's also the issue of battery charge life being too short for long runs with many GPS units.
You must be going on some really long runs, as I usually get at least 12 hours out of each charge on a set using 2xAA NIMH cells (I deliberately avoided the (expensive!) miniature units with their own internal batteries). Then again you are conducting what appear to be actual scientific tests on a number of different cycles so I understand why something like the Cateye Velo 5, calibrated well, would work well in your case. Indeed I may even give this unit a try - on the Salisbury I was trying to use a really cheap wired unit (which had hitherto been hanging around in a drawer in my old house in Reading and which I retrieved on a recent visit for a family gathering) but wasn't having much luck with getting this to reliably trigger ..

Barnowl said:
BTW. Cytronex have added a "datalite". Whenever you switch the lights on the Datalite illuminates the trip computer (or virtually any other handlebar mounted computer you use). Unlike a trip computer back light, this is powered directly by the Cytronex battery. I think this is something specific to the Cytronex though. Not sure.
now this is another reason why I like the GPS units, I do a lot of riding at night and they are backlit. I am tempted to try and knock something up out of LED's and "fibre optic" light guides one day for this purpose (unless anyone knows of backlit computers available for a moderate price)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You must be going on some really long runs, as I usually get at least 12 hours out of each charge on a set using 2xAA NIMH cells (I deliberately avoided the (expensive!) miniature units with their own internal batteries). Then again you are conducting what appear to be actual scientific tests on a number of different cycles so I understand why something like the Cateye Velo 5, calibrated well, would work well in your case.
That is it Alex, I was speaking of the internal rechargeable battery types which wouldn't last for up to 60 miles 4 hour plus runs which I used to do on unpowered bikes and I've still done with multi batteries on occasions with e-bikes. Also keeping a permanent log of total miles and time on a bike just isn't practical with GPS as far as I know.

After initial setup, I calibrate my wired computers over a fixed known distance of 4.9 miles in two directions to ensure they are as precise as possible on speed and distance, and I've found the Velo 5 and 8 models reliably give me everything I want with minimal trouble.

I do use an expensive internal battery GPS unit in my cars though, a TomTom Go930 Traffic, overkill but like all luxuries, nice. :cool:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
On both both my bikes I used to run both the GPS and the standard computers in parallel but have now removed the computers and just have the GPS on a bike mount.
I quite agree with you Alex. My supplied cycle computer lasted about 2 days before I gave up with it and I fitted my trusty Garmin Foretrex (also powered by rechargeable AAA Nimh batts.). I use this on my trail and enduro motorbikes too. This GPS also runs up to 8 hrs (with backlight), gives loads of info, has a larger more readable display and in this particular case has a great, really solid handlebar mount, with other mounts readily available to leave fixed on your other 'steeds'. I'll never go back to cycle computers - I find them cheap and nasty.....but hey, whatever 'floats your boat' I s'pose :) .

Cheers, Phil

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I'll never go back to cycle computers - I find them cheap and nasty.....but hey, whatever 'floats your boat' I s'pose :) .

Cheers, Phil
Right tools for the job. A cycle computer, even if it plays up a bit now and then works well enough for me. It looks the business as well.

Last edited:

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
looking to put a basic cycle computer on my Pro Connect.

All I need is current speed, avg speed, distance.

Will the Pro-Connect interfere with a wireless device ?

Any suggestions ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The wired Cateye Velo 5 does the basics as you describe but without average speed, is very reliable and stocked by many cycle shops. To get average speed, the Velo 8 adds it, but as usual also adds some unwanted things like calories consumed.

I believe one member mentioned interference to a wireless computer on a Panasonic motored bike, but interference problems are very variable and not only due to the bikes, sometimes from outside sources like transmitters.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One tip Mat, when setting it up, first make sure you press the button to set it on miles instead of kilometres. Then press the recessed button on the back to lock that and continue with the settings.

If you don't set the miles reading first, the battery has to be removed to reset it subsequently, losing all accumulated readings.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Mine was fitted by 50cycles free of charge, I have clock up 872 miles and getting about 22 Miles on a charge which is getting longer because my fitness is improving so much.

thx

Bob

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
mine arrived today, so will fit it at the weekend.

So far on the Proconnect, I've done nearly 20 miles (i know it's a 7 mile round trip for work), most of it on low or medium power. Battery indicator on the bike is down to two lights. Quite amazing really compared to other e-bikes I'ved used, and that is still with the same charge from the 22nd of December (only used it twice since we got back to work in the new year).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
mine arrived today, so will fit it at the weekend.

So far on the Proconnect, I've done nearly 20 miles (i know it's a 7 mile round trip for work), most of it on low or medium power. Battery indicator on the bike is down to two lights. Quite amazing really compared to other e-bikes I'ved used, and that is still with the same charge from the 22nd of December (only used it twice since we got back to work in the new year).
As long as you keep to the standard gearing, that range will probably get even better as the weather warms up, making life for the battery easier.