Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Another important area of confusion is the counting of Yellow Card vaccine reports. These are simply reports of POSSIBLE issues of concern after a vaccination
Well, exactly so, and the presense of this type of reporting reporting is being used to deliberatly misslead people, I refer to this link;

https://www.technocracy.news/shock-european-union-reports-1-5-million-vaccine-injuries-15472-deaths/

The 'shock' European union data base did not report proven vaccine injuries or deaths at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1951

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
It's simple to see that vaccination prevents serious consequences of the disease. Less than 13% of the adult population in the UK is unvaccinated yet they make up 60% of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
It's simple to see that vaccination prevents serious consequences of the disease. Less than 13% of the adult population in the UK is unvaccinated yet they make up 60% of patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19.
Absolutely - and another misuse of data by anti-vaccine campaigns is to wave around data which shows that the majority of people dying now of covid-19 are vaccinated people. This is true, but it makes no reference when quoted against vaccination, of the obvious fact that the vast majority of adults of the most vulnerable groups are vaccinated. In the high risk categories - the aged and immuno compromised, the numbers are in the high nineties percent. Most of the current deaths are of those with immune deficiencies, ie those with serious illness compromising their immunity, or the very aged whose immune system is weak. All vaccines require that the recipient mounts an immune response to the vaccine, so that would be bound to be the case.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
If we're trying to have a serious and sensible conversation here, then simply replying with B.S. and nothing else is a complete waste of time and doesn't reflect particularly well on the intellect of the poster.
If you have good evidence to show that what was posted was BS, then by all means give us the links/information.

For myself, I'll do the same - if you do a search
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spike+protein+causes+blood+clots&t=hx&va=g&ia=web

Then just read a good few of the links that come up. Lots of information from Doctors, and researchers, and lots of links within those pages - even to published papers, backing up what I posted.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This pretty well destroys that idea:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
This pretty well destroys that idea:
No it doesn't. 87% of that sample were over sixty years old. Older people were always at much greater risk from CV19 and they also have weaker immune systems. Like all vaccination, these vaccines require a functional immune system to work. You can't produce antibodies unless your immune system is working, so old people are both more at risk and more likely to get a less than stellar response in terms of anti-bodies. So it is to be expected that some old, and immune compromised people who are not old, will catch the disease after vaccination. This does not affect the fact that very large numbers have been taken out of the situation of grave illness. The hospitalisation numbers and deaths have collapsed in well vaccinated populations.

The article you quote says the following:

"Given the large number of fully vaccinated Israelis, some breakthrough cases were expected, health officials say, and a growing body of research has shown those who are unvaccinated face far higher risks of severe illness or death from a COVID-19 infection. "

It is indisputable and we see in our own data, that the rates of grave illness and death have collapsed since the vaccination programme.

The graph on this linked page shows the differences in numbers of hospitalisations in different countries across the world over time. The hospitalisations from more vaccinated populations collapse post vaccination whereas the less vaccinated populations remain high in the new wave of infection. Israel and the USA have lower vaccination rates than we do. It shows in the hospitalisation data.

Populations in hospital with covid-19 over time

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No it doesn't. 87% of that sample were over sixty years old. Older people were always at much greater risk from CV19 and they also have weaker immune systems. Like all vaccination, these vaccines require a functional immune system to work. You can't produce antibodies unless your immune system is working, so old people are both more at risk and more likely to get a less than stellar response in terms of anti-bodies. So it is to be expected that some old, and immune compromised people who are not old, will catch the disease after vaccination. This does not affect the fact that very large numbers have been taken out of the situation of grave illness. The hospitalisation numbers and deaths have collapsed in well vaccinated populations.

The article you quote says the following:

"Given the large number of fully vaccinated Israelis, some breakthrough cases were expected, health officials say, and a growing body of research has shown those who are unvaccinated face far higher risks of severe illness or death from a COVID-19 infection. "

It is indisputable and we see in our own data, that the rates of grave illness and death have collapsed since the vaccination programme.

The graph on this linked page shows the differences in numbers of hospitalisations in different countries across the world over time. The hospitalisations from more vaccinated populations collapse post vaccination whereas the less vaccinated populations remain high in the new wave of infection. Israel and the USA have lower vaccination rates than we do. It shows in the hospitalisation data.

Populations in hospital with covid-19 over time
You need to understand what that article was for. The data reported was already circulating, so the pro-vaxers got Beckers Hospital Review to write a pro-vax piece. You'll note that the original report on which they were commenting had actual data, but the bit you highlighted has no data, no names and no references. It's basically, "a bloke said...". Who is the growing body of research - some fat bloke sitting in his basement eating pizzas and writing political hit-pieces instead of doing a proper job?

BTW,seeing as you like to agree with opinions from growing bodies of research: A growing body of research told me that aliens had landed and they're in control of all the governments in the world. They can do mind control, so they programmed the world governments to make a vaccine that'll turn everybody into zombies three years after injection, then the aliens will feed on them while they colonise our planet.

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
You need to understand what that article was for. The data reported was already circulating, so the pro-vaxers got Beckers Hospital Review to write a pro-vax piece. You'll note that the original report on which they were commenting had actual data, but the bit you highlighted has no data, no names and no references. It's basically, "a bloke said...". Who is the growing body of research - some fat bloke sitting in his basement eating pizzas and writing political hit-pieces instead of doing a proper job?

BTW,seeing as you like to agree with opinions from growing bodies of research: A growing body of research told me that aliens had landed and they're in control of all the governments in the world. They can do mind control, so they programmed the world governments to make a vaccine that'll turn everybody into zombies three years after injection, then the aliens will feed on them while they colonise our planet.
The only person characterising the originator of the opinion that the unvaccinated face a far higher risk from covid, than from being vaccinated as, ' a fat bloke in a cellar eating pizza', is you old chap. The piece described the opinion as being the common opinion of health officials, but that aside, the opinion is not even an opinion; it is a fact, supported by a large amount of data, a small part of which I linked to for you, but you seem to have ignored.

I note that you frequently, and quite rightly object to unsupported opinions on such matters as battery management, and ebike repair, being bandied about here by people with no engineering expertise - people who sometimes ignore your own experience and knowledge in that field. However - you seem not to operate the same standards with regard to the absolutely massive support from tens of thousands of expert, medically qualified people who unequivocally recommend that people get vaccinated and explain that the risks of not being vaccinated, certainly to people of say over forty, are hundreds of times greater than risks from vaccine complications. Instead, you prefer it seems, to suggest otherwise, ignoring the data and the critical mass of expert opinion.

On matters of ebike engineering and repair, I'd follow your advice without question. This area however is not your area of expertise.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

A vaccine is a biological preparation that provides active acquired immunity to a particular infectious disease.

so the covid 19 is a treatment it does not meet the criteria of a vaccine because it does not make you immune.

these viruses mutate and have done for thousands of years so what you going to do take a new batch every 6 months for the rest of your life sod that lol or just ask for 300ml in one hit :p and ill get my cart and toe it with my ebike :cool:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only person characterising the originator of the opinion that the unvaccinated face a far higher risk from covid, than from being vaccinated as, ' a fat bloke in a cellar eating pizza', is you old chap. The piece described the opinion as being the common opinion of health officials, but that aside, the opinion is not even an opinion; it is a fact, supported by a large amount of data, a small part of which I linked to for you, but you seem to have ignored.

I note that you frequently, and quite rightly object to unsupported opinions on such matters as battery management, and ebike repair, being bandied about here by people with no engineering expertise - people who sometimes ignore your own experience and knowledge in that field. However - you seem not to operate the same standards with regard to the absolutely massive support from tens of thousands of expert, medically qualified people who unequivocally recommend that people get vaccinated and explain that the risks of not being vaccinated, certainly to people of say over forty, are hundreds of times greater than risks from vaccine complications. Instead, you prefer it seems, to suggest otherwise, ignoring the data and the critical mass of expert opinion.

On matters of ebike engineering and repair, I'd follow your advice without question. This area however is not your area of expertise.
I look at data, see where it came from, think about whether it's plausible, think about all the mechanisms behind it, then try and make sense of what's going on. That's the same technique for ebikes as I use for medical matters, social matters and anything else. It's called pragmatism.

BTW, my Niece is Communications Director for a group of major UK hospitals. I get good information on what's actually going on.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I look at data, see where it came from, think about whether it's plausible, think about all the mechanisms behind it, then try and make sense of what's going on. That's the same technique for ebikes as I use for medical matters, social matters and anything else. It's called pragmatism.

BTW, my Niece is Communications Director for a group of major UK hospitals. I get good information on what's actually going on.
I'd have thought that an open minded individual looking at data like this :

would notice that although the infection rates remain high, the deaths and hospitalisations have collapsed, and draw the conclusion that the vaccine is preventing serious illness and death at a remarkable rate. Then, perhaps comparing the UK experience with other less vaccinated nations right now (the USA) in the graph I linked to in an earlier post, they'd notice that less vaccinated populations have far higher pro rata rates of death and hospitalisation than more vaccinated ones. The data is unequivocal - the relationship is absolutely clear. Vaccination for anyone over about 25 is a no brainer. In children, the individual benefit to the recipient is less clear, since the very young have very low rates of harm from the virus, unless they already have problems. In their case, vaccine complication risks are still lower than virus harms, but not so much that it would be an obvious benefit to them to be vaccinated - it would however be a general benefit to the rest of the community, since children are certainly a major cause of high infection rates. Note the spike in infections in Scotland right after the schools returned there after summer at the start of August. I predict the same spike will happen here this month.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
the deaths and hospitalisations have collapsed,
Deaths have been rising steadily since June, from 0.1 per million then to 1.65 now.

I agree it is clear that vaccination has been very helpful, but you don't help make the case with inaccurate statements.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Deaths have been rising steadily since June, from 0.1 per million then to 1.65 now.
I agree it is clear that vaccination has been very helpful, but you don't help make the case with inaccurate statements.
No real surprise there though; as we moved from lockdown to freely mixing you would expect the death rate to rise.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
No real surprise there though; as we moved from lockdown to freely mixing you would expect the death rate to rise.
Yes, Euros and removed lockdown have had their effect, and schools back will probably increase that. I think most of us agree on the overall picture and the role of vaccination; I'm just concerned stating falsehoods weakens our arguments even if the argument is itself sound.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Very sensible advice indeed.

But where do you go to get reliable, unbiased information?
I'm genuinely interested, because I've struggled with this for some time. So if anyone has some suggestions, it would certainly help me, and possibly many others reading this thread.
I think the trick is to try and read a mixture of sources.

Raws stats from the UK gov:

Adverse reaction stats (UK):

Zoe (UK):

General worldwide stats (US-based):

Opinion (i.e. dare to read a newspaper you'd never actually pay money for!):

I don't bother with FB or Whatsapp sources because only the more sensational stuff will flow to the top.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the trick is to try and read a mixture of sources.

Raws stats from the UK gov:

Adverse reaction stats (UK):

Zoe (UK):

General worldwide stats (US-based):

Opinion (i.e. dare to read a newspaper you'd never actually pay money for!):

I don't bother with FB or Whatsapp sources because only the more sensational stuff will flow to the top.
Or there's the risk based approach of pedelec members Chainring and POLLY.

Both ignore it all and insist there's no Coronavirus and it's all a con by the authorities to gain greater control. Or as POLLY succinctly puts it "Covid 19 is 100% BS".

Both have survived so far so may yet live to say "I told you so".

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
You have to take the death rate alongside the general rate of infections. It is rising, because infections are rising, but the graph I linked to above of hospital cases shows it is massively lower than the last time we had a large spike of infections. My post was not inaccurate at all. You misunderstood it - which might be partly my fault for not making it clear enough.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Yes - exactly - because there are now more infections, and the new variant is ideally suited to take advantage of fewer social barriers, and spreads so easily.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Both have survived so far so may yet live to say "I told you so".
Or maybe not.

There is as yet is no cure for Covid, all the vaccine does is significantly reduce the chance of serious ill health or death if you or when you do get it.

The vaccine does seem to reduce how transmissable a person is, but I dont believe it completly stops a vaccinated person passing on the virus.

So maybe it is inevitable that eventually we will all get it ?