Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just popping in to break the monotony of pasted articles from the same person.
Without the occasional alternative post from somebody else there's a risk of epilepsy if scrolling down the page too fast.
Fully agree, he's posted a further 65 links in this thread in separate posts since your above timely protest.

Worse still he keeps posting long runs of the links into other threads as well, spoiling the threads for everyone else, doing it yesterday in another thread with a run of 20 link posts, thus burying other's posts of real interest.

I'd have thought that he might have noticed that nobody is responding, showing that his link posting is of no interest so giving him the hint to stop.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Fully agree, he's posted a further 65 links in this thread in separate posts since your above timely protest.

Worse still he keeps posting long runs of the links into other threads as well, spoiling the threads for everyone else, doing it yesterday in another thread with a run of 20 link posts, thus burying other's posts of real interest.

I'd have thought that he might have noticed that nobody is responding, showing that his link posting is of no interest so giving him the hint to stop.
It's the first time I've dipped into this thread but I see what you mean.
Rather than diet, I think it may be a heart failure from reading my next energy bill that gets me. Or a nuclear explosion when the Ukraine situation gets warmed up.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rather than diet, I think it may be a heart failure from reading my next energy bill that gets me. Or a nuclear explosion when the Ukraine situation gets warmed up.
Wait until all the price increases are in, then the eyes will water!

I'm getting mixed messages at the moment. Pensions up 3.1%, but income tax also up due the the personal allowances not keeping pace.

But my electricity is way up long before the promised savage April increase. This time last year I was paying 15.71 pence per unit. Now after several increases it's at 21.55 pence, already up over 37%, long before April.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: richtea99 and POLLY

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Good man!
I've made my own natto in the past as well. I find it a bit hit and miss. You need to leave it long enough for the bacteria to multiply, but no so long that the beans start to go a bit off!
Its an art I've obviously not mastered well enough :-(
I've made it with (the traditional) soy beans, but I have heard that chickpeas work as well - I'll have to give it a go. I like chickpeas :)

Whether or not it helps directly with Covid is perhaps a moot point. Natto is really, really good for you. Its not just the fermented/probiotic aspect, its the fact that its incredibly high in vitamin K2 MK-7 (like - super, incredibly high!!).
Does making natto with chickpeas have the same K2 content ?? I don't know on that one.

You may have inspired me to defrost a cube of natto to make a starter and I'll give the chickpea version a go later this weekend!

...which reminds me to go out for another slow jog and make another batch of Natto, for that slimy vitamin K2 goodness - this batch was made with slightly sprouted chickpeas. That all important gooey slimy stuff is more visible at the bottom of the jar. I forgot to set the yoghurt maker timer to 24 hours, initially fermented for 12 hours instead but was able to change the program in time.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They're mostly younger and thinner:

...which reminds me - I must lose this final stone of excess weight, in order to get to slightly beyond the middle of the green zone of the NHS's BMI calculator... but it's proving very stubborn and hard to rid myself of. I think my body has adjusted to the intermittent fasting regime and reduced my metabolic rate, which means I'll have to eat fewer calories in my one daily meal 5 days out of 7 (I have weekends off). Still, I feel much better than I did over two and a half stones ago: more energy, less chest pain, much lower blood pressure, and I am no longer considered pre-diabetic. That my Doctor has ceased trying to push statins at me, is reassuring.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Wait until all the price increases are in, then the eyes will water!

I'm getting mixed messages at the moment. Pensions up 3.1%, but income tax also up due the the personal allowances not keeping pace.

But my electricity is way up long before the promised savage April increase. This time last year I was paying 15.71 pence per unit. Now after several increases it's at 21.55 pence, already up over 37%, long before April.
It will be interesting to see what the posted profits of the energy companies are next year.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It'll be £1 less profit for someone, because after submitting my meter readings and taking a spin last night, I received this message:

Congratulations Guerney! You've won £1.00 on the Octopus Energy wheel of fortune.
We've already credited this jackpot to your account. Submit your readings next month to spin again. You never know, you might just kick off a winning streak!

...but not the £512 jackpot that I wanted :(

Last edited:

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Nice to hear winners actually exist.. I've been spinning for a year with just QI snippets to show for it.

Robina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Has anyone had shingles PHN? , I'm 73, it started 3 weeks ago and it's a nightmare.
Thing is ,I'm fit, so haven't been to the doctors for some years thus I was unaware
that for the over 70 s there is a free jab. I WOULD URGE people to get this jab,
post herpetic neuralgia is painfull. I've lost over a stone doing nothing and of course miss Ebikeing.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Has anyone had shingles PHN?
The forum member 'Oyster' recently mentioned that he'd had shingles. The discussion may have been over on the 'brexit' thread.

In other various articles I've read recently, a number of medical researchers/doctors have also commented on much higher than normal incidences of autoimmune based conditions (such as shingles) surfacing in the last year.

Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wasn't going to stockpile loo rolls and beans again, but... :oops:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Fewer beans, fewer loo rolls.
Is that a recommendation or observation? Oodles of both are available, just not for the same money as a couple of years ago - I've still got some beans from my last spree: chickpeas, black, masses of lentils an other legumes, lots of TVP which doesn't actually have a use-by date because it doesn't go off if kept air-sealed and dry...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On the other hand, 4,514 isn't a huge number:

"It brings the agency's total, based on deaths registered since the start of the pandemic, to 4,514"

...about one in 15,507 out of 70,000,000 of the UK population (so far).

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021