Cyclist Arrest

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The problem with most Middle lane hogs is that they never notice when other people are around, and are totally oblivious to the world around them. Annoyingly I would get the points if caught undertaking them. :mad:
On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing or slow moving.

I usually take it that the middle lane hog is medically blind and too frightened to drive on the inside or outside lane in case they hit the barrier or kerb. How else can you explain them being in the middle lane with absolutely nothing in front of them.

I usually move right across to the outside lane and overtake but it's not unusual for me to pass on the inside if I can't be bothered.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I usually take it that the middle lane hog is medically blind and too frightened to drive on the inside or outside lane in case they hit the barrier or kerb. How else can you explain them being in the middle lane with absolutely nothing in front of them.
There is a reason why some may still do this. When we first got the M1 early advice from the former Ministry of Transport was to drive in a lane appropriate to ones speed. Bear in mind there was no speed limit then, so really fast stuff stayed in the fast lane nearly all the time, average speed users in the middle lane and trucks, which were very slow in those days, and other slow stuff stayed in the slow lane. And those were what the lanes were called, slow, middle and fast.

With the introduction of the 70 mph limit and increasing traffic starting to cause congestiion, the advice was changed to what we have now, stay left and pull out to overtake. Old habits die hard and sometimes get transferred to following generations, so that could account for some of the middle lane stubbornness that we see.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
That's interesting and something I've not heard before. I have seen cars in the middle lane at night driving down the middle lane at about 60 MPH with no other cars in view. Middle laners don't really bother me since I'm usually ploughing down the outside lane (overtaking of course). I've just never understood it. Thanks Flecc.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
There is a reason why some may still do this. When we first got the M1 early advice from the former Ministry of Transport was to drive in a lane appropriate to ones speed. Bear in mind there was no speed limit then, so really fast stuff stayed in the fast lane nearly all the time, average speed users in the middle lane and trucks, which were very slow in those days, and other slow stuff stayed in the slow lane. And those were what the lanes were called, slow, middle and fast.

With the introduction of the 70 mph limit and increasing traffic starting to cause congestiion, the advice was changed to what we have now, stay left and pull out to overtake. Old habits die hard and sometimes get transferred to following generations, so that could account for some of the middle lane stubbornness that we see.
Yeh! and do you remember trying for the "ton up" when the M1 was young? We used to bash up to the first services for a meet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeh! and do you remember trying for the "ton up" when the M1 was young? We used to bash up to the first services for a meet.
I certainly do, attempting the ton was a motorcycling/motoring rite of passage in those days, though not many motorcycles and only a very few select cars could do that in those days. :D

Wasn't too long before the manufacturers caught up though and it became routine.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
One of the prime reasons people hog the centre lane is that if they pull over to the inside, folk in the centre will go out of their way to prevent them pulling back into it and they end up boxed in.

It's a peculiarly British bloody mindedness. On the continent the inside lane is used for what it is intended - normal progress - because you can pull out into the other lanes without problem.

For some reason, we British see cars as a form of social definition rather than a tin box used for moving from one place to another, so giving way or letting someone in is seen as a loss of face.

Cycling in Paris, I've never come across the pathetic attempts to block my progress by car drivers that you get in London, as if you're somehow cheating by being able to move when the cars are jammed.

Being an (ex) motorcyclist, if I'm close to the crown of the road in my car and see a bike coming up, I'll pull over a bit to give him or her room to pass.
The big smile or wave of the hand tells you how rarely people do this. Yet facilitating someone else's passage hasn't cost me anything in time or effort.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Being an (ex) motorcyclist, if I'm close to the crown of the road in my car and see a bike coming up, I'll pull over a bit to give him or her room to pass.
The big smile or wave of the hand tells you how rarely people do this. Yet facilitating someone else's passage hasn't cost me anything in time or effort.
As a motorcyclist riding my bike daily I appreciate motorists moving slightly when they can, to allow passage up the centre of a busy road and always try to wave my thanks. I also try not to intimidate to get someone to move over, although there are plenty of idiots on bikes that do not have road courtesy.

Over the years I think car drivers have become more tolerant of motorcyclists and do generally make allowances, although there are a certain type on the roads that still go out of their way to make things awkward.

Without trying to stereotype, those that make things awkward are usually driving BMW, Audi, Mercedes, SAAB's or white transit size vans and more recently Honda Civic's. I think there is a mentality that goes with the vehicle, if you have a powerful, flash motor, you think you have elevated yourself above others, whereas the reality is different, you have spent all that money looking flash, just to go at the same speed as everyone else and therefore look stupid.

On a motorbike I can relax, knowing that my journey time will be the same whatever the traffic is doing and I have the freedom to choose my own speed most of the time.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Interesting theory eTim. I drive a car, ride a motorbike (summer only) and cycle, and have noticed a huge difference in other road users attitudes depending what I am on/in.

On my road motorbike people nearly always move over without me having to do anything, which always amazes me, I almost feel guilty. :D Thankyou very much!

ON my cycle though, its a whole other story. I have had people actually pull over deliberately to block my path. Sometimes ending in verbal disagreements of which the usual defense is " get in the queue". Amazing as if I was riding my motorbike they would more than likely move over. And for the record I am a confident cyclist and nearly always use lanes as if I was on my motorbike ie down the middle of traffic.

When in the car it is dependant on my vehicle. I once had an Omega estate, which was hilarious as everyone moved over when in lane 2/3 of a motorway instantly as they assumed I was plod. BUT when driving down a normal road people were forever pulling out in front of me, I assume because they associate that type of car with being slow and not wanting to be stuck behind it?

Put me in the van though and it's a different story. Rarely are you cut up and people generally let you in gaps in traffic. There is always the exception to the rule, like mrs 206 driving up the M1 with no eyes yesterday, but hey ho

I did a little experiment too, as I noticed years ago that more people are courteous and aware of me on the road on the motorbike than the car, and on the motorbike I always had my headlights on in daylight. So I started driving with my headlights on in the car/van. Hey presto worked a treat. I now always drive with my lights on in the day.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Yes if see a motorbike or bike I always pull over a bit to ensure they can get past. Often done for me on my bike as well.

Cycling down cycle lanes I get motorists in long queues pulling into the gutter to block me and, yes, they are usually fast or status cars.

Driving on the motorway in the inside lane I rarely get blocked in. When I put my indicator on I'm not stating an intention - I really am pulling out, and now.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
ON my cycle though, its a whole other story. I have had people actually pull over deliberately to block my path. Sometimes ending in verbal disagreements of which the usual defense is " get in the queue".
Cycling down cycle lanes I get motorists in long queues pulling into the gutter to block me and, yes, they are usually fast or status cars.
what areas do you live in? This behaviour is very rare even amongst the drivers of in flash cars in East Anglia. By and large many drivers are actually very corteous (although one major factor is flexible working means I do not cycle at rush hour).

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Have you ever wondered why so many cars fail to indicate before changing lanes? I read this on a car type forum and the reason for it is to do with that British bloody mindedness that Lemmy talks about. If you indicate then it give a chance for driver to accelerate and block your overtaking move, if you don't indicate you take them unawares and it gives you a chance to change lanes. Sums it all up really.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Since the dawn of my time, motorists have always thought that motorcylists eat babies heads for breakfast and act accordingly ie do not want to get involved in an altercation. I had an incident once when I very slightly side-swiped a car with my pannier as I was filtering through a stationary queue of traffic, being a responsible biker I parked up and walked back to the car so I could apologise and check for damage. The driver was sh*tting himself and was very reluctant to wind down his window, I looked at a very small mark on his rear wing and said "you OK?" he just nodded and really looked like he wanted to get rid of me as fast as possible. Bikers in helmets and leathers can be intimidating even when intentions are completely the opposite.

For cyclists, I can see that motorists have an attitude that they are easy targets, they can see gayglo, daft helmets, soft faces, lentil munching do-gooders and I believe that this permeates an inner hatred of the things that cyclists stand for, especially when the real lentil munching, eco warriors seem to be having a constant outspoken battle with the motorist.

I dare say most normal cyclists use all forms of transport and therefore have more tolerance for all road users when using other forms of transport.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
ON my cycle though, its a whole other story. I have had people actually pull over deliberately to block my path. Sometimes ending in verbal disagreements of which the usual defense is " get in the queue". Amazing as if I was riding my motorbike they would more than likely move over. .
I think this is often just the realisation that a cyclist moving in front of them could mean they will be held up by that bike a little further on, something that often happens on narrow and congested roads. For the same reason motorists often stop right over the "cyclist reserved" area at the front on traffic lights, to prevent bikes stopping in front of their bonnet (hood for our overseas guests :)).

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
I think that is the problem. thinking about it most of my negative examples have been in rush hour. I have lived and commuted in Bournemouth, Leicester, Nottingham and Aylesbury with similar results in all areas. Inner city notts was the worst for blocking on the bicycle. IN bournemouth I used to use the beach and canford heath to avoid the large chunks of road riding, which was pleasant. But don't even get me started on the bicycle speed traps they have on the beach in the summer :mad:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Si
For cyclists, I can see that motorists have an attitude that they are easy targets, they can see gayglo, daft helmets, soft faces, lentil munching do-gooders and I believe that this permeates an inner hatred of the things that cyclists stand for, especially when the real lentil munching, eco warriors seem to be having a constant outspoken battle with the motorist.
the only cyclists I've seen dressed like this here are usually those who are holidaying from London :D. One big advantage of East Anglia's road layout is that motor traffic is filtered onto the A roads (A12/A14 etc) and its big anyway...

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
the only cyclists I've seen dressed like this here are usually those who are holidaying from London :D. One big advantage of East Anglia's road layout is that motor traffic is filtered onto the A roads (A12/A14 etc) and its big anyway...

Yes I think it probably applies more to city dwellers than to those in the sticks. The pace of life and attitude is different in the country and I certainly have no problems with motorists on my country roads even though I am a gayglo, daft helmet wearing numpty (I won't go as far as lentil munching (although lentil soup is nice)) :D

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Ha ha gayglo, why didnt I think of that? Tis true though, when I used to commute through Notts I would be wearing red waterproof jacket, lycra shorts (I know lycra is a swearword here, but the shorts do help with saddle sores soooooooo much) , helmet complete with flashing lights, spd shoes that made me sound like I was wearing 6" stillettos when going in the shop, a gayglo(heh heh)vest and some gordy yellow cycle clips. Coupled with my bike lit up like a xmas tree it really didn't do much for my Alpha-Male image. Now on my old commute I used to have to cycle through St. Annes and forest fields in Nottingham, which is equivalent to the bronx. It was always fun watching peoples faces when I rode by.

I did used to pull my shorts down though so they hung off my backside revealing ill fitting underwear, wore my helmet backwards, and called everyone I met "bruv" and "safe". Innit. This made me fit in much better. :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I cycle in rush hour town & city traffic and use cycle lanes. The blocking thing is a small minority but it happens regularly and often nowhere near junctions.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I cycle in rush hour town & city traffic and use cycle lanes. The blocking thing is a small minority but it happens regularly and often nowhere near junctions.
This is familiar to me from living/riding in London for 17yrs, happily it doesn't happen out here in the sticks (I suspect largely because drivers wouldn't have a shred of an excuse). Here I find the problems are of people overtaking to fast, too close, and misjudging the speed of oncomming traffic. It's quite often I have to brake to give enough room for an overtaking car to nip back in in front of me.