DIY Conversion - Voodoo Marasa

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes you could round up to the nearest whole number, 256 is the max P1 setting you can go so 16 x 16.
Not sure how Jerry got 112 though unless it was just trial and error ?
No 112 was better but after looking around I found your details on ES I think and used 14 * 16 = 224 which is even better.

C

Cyclezee

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yer no probs I found the ebay one with no delivery charge :)

I have two of the 14mm ones I purchased off you a few years ago, but they remain unused. No problem though someone has sent me one :)

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: hertsbiker

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nice job, looks like it will go like a rocket in terms of any climbs.

Being in Cambridge mine will be a much lighter/discreet fit with the smaller Q100 motor and battery (no more than a 2-3s1 6-9Ah) hidden in a pannier/bag.

Appreciate the photo as I can now see how to fit the TA :p

C

Cyclezee

Nice job, looks like it will go like a rocket in terms of any climbs.

Being in Cambridge mine will be a much lighter/discreet fit with the smaller Q100 motor and battery (no more than a 2-3s1 6-9Ah) hidden in a pannier/bag.

Appreciate the photo as I can now see how to fit the TA :p
There are several options to fitting torque arms, normally I would only use one of the actual arms but in that case I used both of them.

If you want super lightweight there is also my titanium sets at 45gm but they are definitely not cheap:eek: and in the example below anything but discreet or subtle plus each ugly Jubilee clips weighs about 20gm.
P1070994.jpg

• Informative
C

Cyclezee

As a Brompton aficionado Jerry you might appreciate this.

The best ever Brompton conversion that I have seen is Graham Tiller's Brom-Brom, you can read about it here www.tillercycles.co.uk/paficionadoage5.html
Also of note is his Big Brompty with 24" wheels, another of his works of art.
For those that don't know him, Graham is also the best wheel builder in the business and a genuinely very nice bloke, not a self styled one.

Graham's Big Brompty
wpc91b581c_06.png

D

Deleted member 4366

I think this is a better way to fit a TA. The tie-bar is self made, but if you have the piece with the long slot in it, you can use that if you want. use washers to get the axial spacing right:

20140514_163125_zps75e15a3a.JPG

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As a Brompton aficionado Jerry you might appreciate this.

The best ever Brompton conversion that I have seen is Graham Tiller's Brom-Brom, you can read about it here www.tillercycles.co.uk/paficionadoage5.html
Also of note is his Big Brompty with 24" wheels, another of his works of art.
For those that don't know him, Graham is also the best wheel builder in the business and a genuinely very nice bloke, not a self styled one.

Graham's Big Brompty
View attachment 20547

That is bizzare I had to blink and relook at it several times to see what was going on. He must be one clever guy to do that!

I recognise the name I think I have purchased spokes off him ?

PS I remember, started his work on a narrow boat. Just been on his web site. The end of your link does not work. I wonder how Brompton feel about his conversion they are so over rotective about all things Brompton lol

Just seen the label "Big Brompton" I love it!!

Thanks for posting that made my day.

Jerry

C

Cyclezee

I think this is a better way to fit a TA. The tie-bar is self made, but if you have the piece with the long slot in it, you can use that if you want. use washers to get the axial spacing right:

View attachment 20548
That wouldn't work with the example that showed with the eZee rear motor.

C

Cyclezee

That is bizzare I had to blink and relook at it several times to see what was going on. He must be one clever guy to do that!

I recognise the name I think I have purchased spokes off him ?

Jerry
Yes you probably did get spokes from Graham and yes he is one clever guy, but he probably won't thank me for saying that.
It's not easy to see what he has done with the Brom-Brom, the small image size was deliberate.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Spokes just turned up but probably won't get to build wheel until tomorrow.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I like the tidy and light conversions shown, congrats. And i wp43f87c5c_05_06.jpg like that Tillercycles proposed electric conversion (shown on his new Page5) as it's all but invisible:cool:. Can't see what motor it is, not even sure where it is, seems to be a mini crank drive tucked behind seat post with a bottle battery.
Makes me want to get my other old broken Brompton up and running.. mmm, wonder what are the largest wheels that could be persuaded onto it?o_O . Forks available but no idea where to get a swingarm (apologies if there's already a thread elsewhere for this "iconic british bike")

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Reactions: MikelBikel

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
but no idea where to get a swingarm (apologies if there's already a thread elsewhere for this "iconic british bike")
You need to watch ebay (create a saved watched search), they do come up fairly often.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok laced up, now just need to tension and offset. I used X2 cross. Could have used X1 but given its quite a small diameter hub in a large wheel X2 is fine in terms of spoke angles.

Not sure if I should have weaved second cross under but my guess is the flange is too wide for that.

IMG_0481.jpg

oh and just a quick diversion, interuptions with life when you have a grandson :rolleyes:

IMG_0477.JPG

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well fitted the wheel connected up and all seems ok. First time I have ever done a pedelec fit as use to throttle only.

Re the torque arm (thanks Dave) this is how its fitted on non drive side.

IMG_0505.jpg

Thiere is a natural hole/gap in the frame with the design where I have bolted it trhough with a washer each side.

This may be better, bolting onto the rack stay ?

Have I got it the right way round should it be flipped 180 degree ?

IMG_0503.jpg

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Initially with the PAS it was full power all the time. I changed one of the P settings and it now gives me varrying increasing power as I go up 1-5. I like the walk mode :)

Took it out for a spin and was VERY surprised at the power, though it was just on the flat. Once it is all set up properly I will go find a hill or at least an incline somewhere in Cambridge, At setting 5 it took me up to 19mph (according to the lcd) and it felt like it need to check with my GPS. These are large diameter wheels with the 2" Big Apples. I can't imagine me riding round at more than setting 2-3 most of the time. I almost dont see the point of the throttle which seems to only take me up to about 14-15 mph anyway ?

I guess the throttle is for cruising/going when your not pedaling like round corners or just weaving slowly in and out of traffic ?

I thought I would check the current and according to my meter, I peaked at 17A again though just on the flat. The LCD went up to 500W I think. The battery has a 15A fuse in it as I never draw more than about 10A on my Brompton Tongxins. I guess the 17A peak must have been momentary.

I need to tidy up the wires and decide where to fit everything but I am very pleased. Thanks for all the advice on what to buy here guys. Nothing beats the feeling of that first test ride.

I want to have a go at restricting the current down to maybe 12-15A I think that is the C3 setting.

I wonder if that smaller motor would have been a better option, but this one is pretty small and I have to say almost silent!

I guess as I have time on my hands being retired, I can always try that later. My daughter wants a conversion done.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to limit the current. Each level on the PAS is a separate current limit, so just don't use level 5. You can see the watts you're using on the LCD.

• Informative