E-Bike Of The Year 2009?

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Bike: Wisper 905SE City ('08 model, including the hub dynamo - bought mine in Feb. '09).

Kit: Bionx (just to be, and because it is, different)

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Realising that it falls outside the criteria so would not count, I would like to vote for the 2007 Torq 1.

This is based upon the grounds that I have cash waiting and have ridden all sort of other bikes but have yet to be drawn away from my trusty steed. It has helped me get fit, given me thousands of miles of pleasure and with a 22mph top end shows a clean pair of mudflaps to most others.

That said, the third battery is on its way out and a relacement bike will be coming within the next 12 months. Favourite to take its place is a Wisper 905SE (with a 500Watt motor!). It is an outstanding bike and the customer service seems to be second to none. I am still looking closely at another eZee given (a) how good mine is and (b) Wai Won has provided exceptional back up to me when it has been needed.

Still, if a vote must be counted it goes to the Wisper 905SE City.

Kit vote goes to eZee.

Django

I am 100% with you on all counts re the Torq1. Mine is 2007 vintage also. I would also add that it is built like a tank. My predilection for riding along muddy tracks has led to a fair few spills, but the bike is always unharmed (can't always say the same for the rider) I love the top speed of it. I recently acquired a 14ah battery for it, and it has really given it a new lease of life - I would highly recommend. They are much better than the 10ah lipolymers - more than the imcreased size would suggest.

Cheers

Nick

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
My vote

Being as distributors are allowed to vote I thought I would add my vote here. We distribute Emotion (Panasonic based ), Ezee (hub based ), Wisper (hub based ) Monark ( Panasonic based ) and have sold Tongxin motors with various batteries ( similar to the kit used on the Cytronex). I have done over 500 miles on each of these systems in the last 2 years. In reality you cannot judge the 3 different systems side by side.
We are in a privileged position to see what system customers choose and we also get a lot of feedback after purchasers have ridden the bikes for a while. The split between Panasonic and direct drive preference is roughly 50-50.
We also helped an organisation called Tal-Y-Bont energy conduct a trial of electric bikes. They lent people an electric bike (either direct drive or/and Panasonic) for 1 to 4 days then surveyed them to see what they thought of electric bikes and compare the two systems. In all 61 people completed the post-trial survey. The interesting thing here is that most of these were people had not tried electric bikes before. The result............. about 50-50 preference between Panasonic and direct drive.
See http://www.prospectory.co.uk/HTMLobj-750/eBikeTrialReport.pdf for more details.
So how do I decide where to cast my vote?
The thing I like best about my job is when we can help someone that loves cycling but now needs assistance due to some infirmity or advancing years. We have had many customers in this situation. The bike that helps them most..........The Ezee Chopper. So many customers buy them then phone up a few weeks later to say how much they love them and how grateful they are. We have even had a “thank you” card from a customer that loved hers so much.
It has 20” wheels, has a top assisted speed of 12mph has a small frame and goes up steep hills better than any other bike I have ever tried.

So my vote is..... Ezee Chopper . The people’s bike.

Kit vote is easy... Ezee kit.

Phil [OnBike]

Pedelecer
May 21, 2009
My vote goes to the E-motion Cross Deluxe.
It's fast, light-weight, high quality and looks fantastic!

My kit vote goes to the eZee kit, as it's a well designed proven kit and very reliable!

Happy New Year everyone!!!! :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
My vote goes to the E-motion Cross Deluxe.
It's fast, light-weight, high quality and looks fantastic!

My kit vote goes to the eZee kit, as it's a well designed proven kit and very reliable!

Happy New Year everyone!!!! :)
when is the 300 watt Panasonic due? and will there be an S version at any time?

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
OK, I've held out so far, but time for a last minute vote:-

Current production model - Wisper 905se

Tough, reliable and still rust free despite being ridden through the s**t daily (I do mean that, I live in a very rural area :eek: ).

Kit: Powabyke (This will no doubt be its' one and only vote in this category!!).

Well not strictly a kit, but I built a step thorough Saracen based ebike for 'she who must be obeyed' using the motor and controller from a Powabyke Euro
(which I wrote off in an accident). It has proven tough and reliable (despite the trauma that the donor parts suffered prior to being used :D) and climbs hills like no other hub motored ebike I've yet encountered.

Phil

C

Cyclezee

Less Than 3 Hours To Closing Time!

FINAL REMINDER THAT VOTING ENDS AT 24.00 GMT TONIGHT, SO HAVE YOUR SAY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE:eek:

J:) hn

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Doh!....I normally go to bed 11'ish new years eve...But I waited up for the results!:rolleyes:

The enthusiasts favourite, no matter what the statistics say.........The Wisper 905 SE:D

C

Cyclezee

E-bike Of The Year 2009 Results

• 1st place in the new bike category is shared jointly by the Kalkhoff Pro Connect S and the Wisper 905SE each receiving 9 votes.
  • 2nd place is shared by the Alien Gents Special, Cannondale Synapse, Kalkhoff Pro Connect and Powerbyke Euro with 3 votes each.
· 3rd place is shared by Cytronex Claud Butler, E-Motion Cross Deluxe and the Kalkhoff Agattu with 3 votes each.

1st place in the kit bike category goes to Nick's (A.K.A. Tiberius) Prestigne 2009 winning bike with 2 votes.

Although there were 5 votes for the eZee kit, it does not win because this category is for a completed kit bike that has been built or assembled.

From a total of 46 votes in the new bike category, top brands were Kalkhoff with 15 then Wisper with 10 and Cytronex with 5 votes.

There were 4,478 views of the thread and 109 replies from a total of 2,832 members.​

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah right eddieo

Cannot get more enthusiastic than 6 years of service to the Electric bike industry, selling the most Advanced Electric Bikes around.

The enthusiast favourite is by far the Pro Connect Sport. 300W 2:1 ratio in 2010.

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Scott
And when/where will I be able to try one of these? I live in south London. My fitness has improved:eek: and I can now manage without a throttle....... I need to get a new bike in the next couple of months as when the weather picks up wife will want hers back:rolleyes:

C

Cyclezee

And when/where will I be able to try one of these? I live in south London. My fitness has improved:eek: and I can now manage without a throttle....... I need to get a new bike in the next couple of months as when the weather picks up wife will want hers back:rolleyes:
Happy New Year Eddieo,

You could try requesting a test ride via 50cycles or contact Tim in Kingston
via the following link 50cycles Electric Bikes Demonstrations - Test Ride Electric Bikes across the UK ...............;) Probably not today though

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
C

Cyclezee

Conclusions and Questions

What conclusions if any can we draw can we draw from the voting?
  • From the relatively small number of 46 votes for production bikes, Panasonic powered crank drive took just over 40%, i.e. 19. This makes Panasonic the single most popular drive/motor manufacurer.
  • Hub powered bikes received just under 60% of the votes in this category with 27 votes. 17 having front wheel motors and 10 having rear wheel motors.
  • With regard to price, the Alien Special II was the cheapest at £599 and the Bike Tec X Serie would probably be the most expensive choice. However, I can't find a price or availability for it anywhere, so maybe it should not be included. If that is the case, the most expensive would be the Kalkhoff Pro Connect S at £2,595, although the are a few more expensive bikes which did not receive any votes.
  • As for kit bikes, there were very few votes as, in the UK, they would seem to be the preserve of a few enthusiasts. The vast majority of e-bikers preferring production bikes.
Finally, was the poll worthwhile and should it be continued in 2010?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi John,

Interesting to see that almost 60% went for hub powered bikes as I have often thought of myself as being in an ever decreasing minority who prefer this system. This high percentage is, no doubt, partly explained by the excellence of the whole Wisper package but it is reassuring to me that diversity remains despite the fact that Panasonic type systems are arguably better suited to what one might perceive as the average e-bike buyer.

The poll was certainly worthwhile, so I vote yes to keep it for 2010. Thank you for taking the time to host it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wow!!

What an honor, I am delighted! Thanks to all who voted for the Wispers.

If only I had voted and rounded up the troops too! Funny enough the Wisper is my favorite bike Scott. :D

It is nice to know we have the most popular road legal bike especially when you consider we are up against the might of Derby cycles!

Well done John!

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Ooops!

Yeah right eddieo

Cannot get more enthusiastic than 6 years of service to the Electric bike industry, selling the most Advanced Electric Bikes around.

The enthusiast favourite is by far the Pro Connect Sport. 300W 2:1 ratio in 2010.

Happy New Year!

Cheers

Scott
Oooops! :D

Oh if only I had voted!!! :D

C

Cyclezee

Oooops! :D

Oh if only I had voted!!! :D
You must be pleased that Wisper came out as the top hub powered bikes David, congratulations.

If you and the other 2,796 members had voted, the results might have been quite different and more meaningful.

As for bikes being road legal, how many e-bikes are strictly legal in the eyes of the law? Answer, hardly any:eek: