E-Bike Of The Year 2009?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Tough call...

I think I would still plumb for the bike I purchased. It has so many advantages (not least the ability to easily remove wheels and stuff from the bike), and it comes with drive through gears giving the super smooth power delivery which was what I wanted mostly (although there are days when those hubs would be appreciated - but then thats me being lazy :)).

Kalkhoff Pro Connect

John

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
Anyone own one of these?

Hi all,the distributors claim the LifeCycle mountain Sport beats all other bikes for range and climbing ability inckuding Whispers. LifeCycle Mountain Sport
One sold on ebay recently 3mnths old £800. The ebay ad said the motor was less than 200w so didnt sound too powerful,though its supposed to go around 26mph with power assist. Has anyone more info on this bike?
Could it be a contender weve missed?

Torq1 hard to beat.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi all,the distributors claim the LifeCycle mountain Sport beats all other bikes for range and climbing ability inckuding Whispers. LifeCycle Mountain Sport
One sold on ebay recently 3mnths old £800. The ebay ad said the motor was less than 200w so didnt sound too powerful,though its supposed to go around 26mph with power assist. Has anyone more info on this bike?
Could it be a contender weve missed?

Torq1 hard to beat.
Whisper clone (another)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And at £1299 its close enough to the Wisper prices to prefer them and the assurance of a local dealer network and excellent support from the company.

These Lifecycle people are saying "only a few left", so long term support of any kind is almost certainly out of the question.

As for the "better than any other e-bikes and motor unique to us" hype, that's just the bunkum we've seen so many times before.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
My vote goes for the Alien Gents Special II. As has previously been stated on this thread - a reasonably priced, solid purchase that is a good introduction to E biking at an affordable price, high marks for customer service from Alien as well.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Wisper 905 SE

C

Cyclezee

Only 3 Days To Go!

So far after over 3700 views and 85 posts there have been 34 votes for currently available production bikes and only 4 for kit bikes:(

Time to get voting guys;)

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
And at £1299 its close enough to the Wisper prices to prefer them and the assurance of a local dealer network and excellent support from the company.

These Lifecycle people are saying "only a few left", so long term support of any kind is almost certainly out of the question.

As for the "better than any other e-bikes and motor unique to us" hype, that's just the bunkum we've seen so many times before.
and they have the old fashioned kettle plug......

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
My vote goes to the ezee torq 2 if it is still de restrictable,they now come with a 14ah battery and are still a little cheaper than some of the main competition, it has everything going for it speed range acceleration and looks , there seems to have been little mention of any ezee bikes lately,i guess earlier battery problems have halted sales,lets hope the 14ah battery copes with the powerfull outputs better and they become popular again, i do not see anything apart from high end illegal kits that would do a better job for me.my kit bike vote goes to the bmc black lightning kits very fast and a small motor.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Although I've only ridden one electric bike, it's given me so much pleasure I have to vote for my Pro Connect S. I still use a non electric bike when out cycling with friends riding normal bikes but almost always use the Pro Connect S when cycling on my own. I've been to many places you just wouldn't go to on a normal bike because of killer hills, but on the Kalkhoff there are simply no restrictions on where you can comfortably go. The brakes, lights and components are all excellent and the only thing I've changed is swapping to Schwalbe Hurricane tyres for a little more grip on rough tracks.

My vote for best kit is the Alien. there's been a number of these conversions posted on this forum and they look very good value for money with great after sale service from Bob.

C

Cyclezee

Reminder To Vote

Time to make your mind up and have your say, so go on exercise your democratic right and vote now;)

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Its got to be the Pro Connect, its light, looks good, never fails on hills and does hundreds of miles to the gallon!!! Oh yes and very reliable.

Frank

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
First, thanks to Aldby for taking the trouble to set up this thread.

Ebike of the year runners up: Wisper for customer service. Powabyke for the X-Bike. It’s not quite right yet, but a real step in the right direction at a good price.

My nomination for winner: Emotion Cross Deluxe because it is good to ride (with and without power), a reasonable weight, and apart from its non colour-coordinated battery, a good looking machine.

Kit of the year runners up: Dan/Herb/Jerry for their Brompton conversions and for taking the trouble to tell us about them.

My nomination for winner: Heinzmann for its torque, made up by Steve Punchard of electricmountainbikes.com, who I also think deserves credit for creating, or at least promoting, an exciting category of ebike.

Aldby asked for a summary at the end of each posting to simplify his counting, so

Ebike: Emotion Cross Deluxe
Kit: Heinzmann by electricmountainbikes.com

C

Cyclezee

Hi John

Not sure if my vote will count being a distributor but I actually own a Pro Connect Sport and vote this to be the best all round electric bike I have come across.

Cheers

Scott
50cycles Electric Bikes - Home of the UK's Best Electric Bicycles
No problem Scott,

As a forum member you are entitled to vote.
I have read the rule book from cover to cover and can confirm that your vote as a distributor is valid;)

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the rules, I would just like clarify by quoting from the rule book, "THERE ARE NO RULES":confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

J.DRew

Just Joined
Jun 23, 2009
Vote

Hi

Am I still in time to vote for the Wisper 905SE City - if I am then I do.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't voted for a kit yet so here's my vote for that category, reasons: e-bike manufacturer support, various battery systems coming along, built into wheel with two sizes available, disc brake fitment as standard:

Kit system: eZee

Last edited:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Realising that it falls outside the criteria so would not count, I would like to vote for the 2007 Torq 1.

This is based upon the grounds that I have cash waiting and have ridden all sort of other bikes but have yet to be drawn away from my trusty steed. It has helped me get fit, given me thousands of miles of pleasure and with a 22mph top end shows a clean pair of mudflaps to most others.

That said, the third battery is on its way out and a relacement bike will be coming within the next 12 months. Favourite to take its place is a Wisper 905SE (with a 500Watt motor!). It is an outstanding bike and the customer service seems to be second to none. I am still looking closely at another eZee given (a) how good mine is and (b) Wai Won has provided exceptional back up to me when it has been needed.

Still, if a vote must be counted it goes to the Wisper 905SE City.

Kit vote goes to eZee.