E-Bike Of The Year 2009?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Django

This view was sold to me by ETRA who have mentioned the ICE moped and motorcycle lobby is strongly against electric bikes' special dispensation allowing their use without Tax MOT Insurance etc. The throttle on Electric Bikes is a casualty of the ICE lobby arguing that the electric bike is more like a conventional motor bike than a bicycle as the rider does not need to pedal to gain motion. ETRA argued that in which case electric postal carts must also be motor bikes. The EU pointed out that these were limited to 6kph or walking speed. The compromise was the electric bicycle would be allowed travel at up to 6kph under throttle only, the throttle can still be used over 6kph but the pedals of the bike must be turning (even if they are not adding any energy to the propulsion of the bike :eek:). That brilliant bit of legislation probably only cost us all €5 or €10 million! :eek:

All the best

David

Regards the throttle, Surely it could be argued that it is a far safer E bike with a throttle then without? Giving greater low speed control, furthermore better control on poor surfaces and in poor weather conditions where peddling could cause you to lose control and put you under a moving vehicle. there has been plenty of evidence of the advantages a throttle offers on this forum lately......

Also necessary for people with physical difficulty's/disability's who would still rather ride a bike than an invalid carriage.

I think a 350 watt motor would meet most needs and help with range.

Maybe we can start a thread on the throttle and its advantages.

One last thing, the derestrict/green button I gave back to Norman last time I saw him....Can I have it back:)

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I see and it's interesting to note the difference as most motorcycle riders I know are against more legislation for two wheels no matter how they are powered.
The pushbike lobby seems to be much more anti motorbike than the other way round.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Regards the throttle, Surely it could be argued that it is a far safer E bike with a throttle then without? Giving greater low speed control, furthermore better control on poor surfaces and in poor weather conditions where peddling could cause you to lose control and put you under a moving vehicle. there has been plenty of evidence of the advantages a throttle offers on this forum lately......

Also necessary for people with physical difficulty's/disability's who would still rather ride a bike than an invalid carriage.
That argument doesn't work, it can be argued that it would be a safer vehicle if it had a throttle, but that leaves the question of whether that safer vehicle is still an electrically assisted pedal cycle (EPAC)?

The reason that EPACs can get away without all the usual restrictions that are placed on motor vehicles is that despite having a motor they similar enough to pedal cycles to be treated as such. If the absence of a throttle made e-bikes less safe or less accessible than unassisted bikes then your argument would hold, but there are no grounds for arguing that EAPCs should be any safer or more accessible than unassisted pedal cycles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Regards the throttle, Surely it could be argued that it is a far safer E bike with a throttle then without? Giving greater low speed control, furthermore better control on poor surfaces and in poor weather conditions where peddling could cause you to lose control and put you under a moving vehicle.

Maybe we can start a thread on the throttle and its advantages.
I think the problem is the term "throttle", since like accelerator, it has speed connotations in popular parlance, though in strict dictionary definition terms to throttle is to restrict.

If renamed a "restrictor" or "power restrictor", since that is what it it is in effect, a device to reduce the legally permitted power for safety and energy saving reasons, much of the potential for legal objection would be removed. A case could then be made for inclusion on desirability grounds within the EU regulations, regardless of the ICE objections.

The ICE lobby are demonstrably wrong in their objections. Their throttles are essential performance limiters on machines which, including riders, sometimes exceed 600 bhp per tonne. With an electric bicyle and rider typically having less than 4 bhp per tonne, a performance limiter clearly isn't necessary, a hand controlled power reducer only desirable for adverse conditions when torque power control through pedalling isn't always easy or as safe. In addition, the throttle on e-bikes is commonly used as an energy conservation measure for greater range, something not true for motorcyclists

Edit after seeing Patrick's post above: I think I've shown grounds for a throttle being an added safety and energy conservation feature, quite different from a m/c throttle.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think the problem is the term "throttle", since like accelerator, it has speed connotations in popular parlance, though in strict dictionary definition terms to throttle is to restrict.

If renamed a "restrictor" or "power restrictor", since that is what it it is in effect, a device to reduce the legally permitted power for safety and energy saving reasons, much of the potential for legal objection would be removed. A case could then be made for inclusion on desirability grounds within the EU regulations, regardless of the ICE objections.

The ICE lobby are demonstrably wrong in their objections. Their throttles are essential performance limiters on machines which, including riders, sometimes exceed 600 bhp per tonne. With an electric bicyle and rider typically having less than 4 bhp per tonne, a performance limiter clearly isn't necessary, a hand controlled power reducer only desirable for adverse conditions when torque power control through pedalling isn't always easy or as safe. In addition, the throttle on e-bikes is commonly used as an energy conservation measure for greater range, something not true for motorcyclists

Edit after seeing Patrick's post above: I think I've shown grounds for a throttle being an added safety and energy conservation feature, quite different from a m/c throttle.
Makes sense to me! Best expand a bit and send it of to the consultation.:)

Maybe you could also explain that a slightly larger motor (350'ish?) also helps with safety...enabling better hill climbing and the opportunity to get out of the way of other vehicles more easily. I am sure those sitting in authority with their 250 -600 BHP Mercs and BMW's could fathom this reality:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Makes sense to me! Best expand a bit and send it of to the consultation.:)

Maybe you could also explain that a slightly larger motor (350'ish?) also helps with safety...enabling better hill climbing and the opportunity to get out of the way of other vehicles more easily. I am sure those sitting in authority with their 250 -600 BHP Mercs and BMW's could fathom this reality:rolleyes:
That second bit is the difficult one Eddie. Basically asking for more power and throttle control is playing into the m/c lobbyists hands, making their case for them that it becomes a light motorcycle or moped.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I see and it's interesting to note the difference as most motorcycle riders I know are against more legislation for two wheels no matter how they are powered.
The pushbike lobby seems to be much more anti motorbike than the other way round.
There's a massive difference between the lobbies those riding the machines and those making a profit from selling them, and important legislative and infrastructure differences each side of the North Sea / Channel. As far as riders are concerned, many here enjoy both two wheeled machines and the impression I get is most on pushbikes are fine with mopeds/scooters provided they are not ridden on the narrow segregated cycle paths which in this nation are not suited for this use (unlike foreign countries where sometimes they are).

Were it not for the stupidity of the CBT test running out after 2 years I would probably have got a smaller moped as well as an e-bike (there are times when I do not want to ride a faster but noisier vehicle, such as when I work late in a semi-rural area just outside Ipswich), people will quite rightly object to me revving up the machine at 3am...

I think the problem is businesses trying to protect their market share, and trying to skew the safety legislation accordingly - its funny how these "free market capitalists" run into the arms of nanny asking for protection when a scuffle breaks out in the playground ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
That second bit is the difficult one Eddie. Basically asking for more power and throttle control is playing into the m/c lobbyists hands, making their case for them that it becomes a light motorcycle or moped.
Yeah but.... ask for 2 or 3 things you may get 1.....:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi guys!

I think this is the newest, most, powerfull, and maybe teh best looking e-bike now:
1300 watts. We won't be seeing it in the UK then!

Nor will many others, it's illegal almost everywhere in the world.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It will be shame if it bombs out, they have obviously spent much time and effort on it.

Unfortunately I too fail to see where they will be able to sell it.

Regards

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
oh, you mean if the RIDER has the OPTION/POSSIBILITY of going higher power (via the switch) it remains illegal? has this been tested?
The EU regulations are strict, the absolute maximum rating available to the rider under any circumstances is 250 watts, and that has to be under pedal control, no power without pedalling.

Germany has a separate class under which a 500 watt rating is permissable, but that has to be separately type approved and is subject to additional restrictions like registration, plates, insurance, compulsory helmet etc.

1300 watts is out almost everywhere, even the American states mostly have limits of 1000 watts or less.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
private land and offroad only, then. not much use.
I'm afraid so. It seems to me that this design, good though it is, needlessly duplicates the existing Optibike in many respects. The Optibike comes in various power versions up to 850 watts which fits into most American state laws:

Optibike