E-Bike over 250W Legal??

melvyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2015
Cycling used to be such a simple pass time, I'm now trying to figure out how to fit an ash tray to the bars of my eBike, in amongst all of the digital clutter.

Reactions: danielrlee

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not true... you just need a street legal 250w eBike with the 250w nominal power, but higher peaks to help you cope with the hills. You don't need to break the law, you just need a better bike.
I am trying to make the current one a better bike. I do have a job but it is a survival job which has nothing to do with my real work skills, times are hard, your bikes are a dream which would only become accessible after a decent lottery win. I am just patiently chipping away improving when I have saved enough to do so.

ie, the new Bosch CX drive, is 250w nominal, but the peak (if you're spinning at about 80 rpm) is 610w... so if you're pushing out 120w from your legs, you should be able to get 730w, which is surely enough?
So the Bosch has a 17Amp controller, good to know. One of my current (oohhh! pun allert) projects involves an 18 amp controller for those steeper bits. What I was trying to say was that a person without my strength would have trouble on a weaker hub motor bike on those hills. My natural cadence is between 70 and 90 rpm so a BB motor would be a good fit for me, what about someone with a slower cadence?

You could always come over with a couple of bikes and I could try them on the terrain. Then after I'll guide you around a few pintxo bars on the other side...

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Cycling used to be such a simple pass time, I'm now trying to figure out how to fit an ash tray to the bars of my eBike, in amongst all of the digital clutter.
Take up a pipe. I use to smoke one on my motor bikes sometimes forty odd years ago, and some people did a double take.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I belive the bosch have more than 17 amp controller.I had an Bosch Performance bike with badass dongle.I could pedal to 50 kmh on the flat.A manufactor here in Norway told me the yamaha ebike had a 25 amp controller.And that makes sense to me compared with the power of all the legal and not legal ebikes I have tried.I belive bosch performane controller is around 25 amp

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
25 Amps X 36 Volts = 900 Watts

610 Watts / 36 Volts = 16.94 Amps

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
KTM Industries was talking about the new Performance CX high torque motor for handling hills. He gave that figure so I guess we have to trust his insider knowledge

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
KTM Industries was talking about the new Performance CX high torque motor for handling hills. He gave that figure so I guess we have to trust his insider knowledge
.If the yamaha is 25 amp then the Bosch is about the same.Also when battery is fully charged it is 42volt that gives 610w/42 = 14.52 amp at peak power.From experience with different crank motors I am sure the bosch performance is about 25 amp.You would not get top speed like 50 kmh or more with 17 amp