E- Brompton Coming Soon - Reminder

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Which pretty much confirms my post #11 about waiting on the Gravity Cancelling device patent flecc!:cool:
Yes, the problem was that they temporarily closed the Patent Office because the government officials running it couldn't think of any more inventions that could be registered. All the employees were given redundancy notices, but finally, they had to cancel them when more applications came in. That's caused a big backlog.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Trying to do the impossible does take a long time.

As David Henshaw of A to B Magazine has always maintained, there's no such thing as a good folding e-bike, since e-powering a folder always makes it too heavy to be carried any distance.

Tony Castles, in partnership with David, produced the Nano-Brompton a few years ago, which with its tiny battery was as near as one can get. Trying to better that alone made Brompton's task difficult, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. And how much it will cost!
Had a look at the Nano conversion and note that the battery used is the same Bosch one as used by ARCC innovations in their e-assist conversion of the Brompton. Odd that the range of the Nano is so much shorter (16-18 miles) as opposed to the approx 30 miles quoted by ARCC. In reality I find the range of my Moulton to be around 26 miles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Had a look at the Nano conversion and note that the battery used is the same Bosch one as used by ARCC innovations in their e-assist conversion of the Brompton. Odd that the range of the Nano is so much shorter (16-18 miles) as opposed to the approx 30 miles quoted by ARCC. In reality I find the range of my Moulton to be around 26 miles.
I'm not sure if the original Nano Brompton small battery was the same, but David Henshaw got 41 miles in his test!

However, it was in a fairly flat area and his average speed of over 16 mph was above the maximum assist speed, so a large part of that range was probably David rather than Nano.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
I'm not sure if the original Nano Brompton small battery was the same, but David Henshaw got 41 miles in his test!

However, it was in a fairly flat area and his average speed of over 16 mph was above the maximum assist speed, so a large part of that range was probably David rather than Nano.
Looking at the image on his website it appears to be the Bosch 4AH battery...the same as mine. I'm 12 stone and on a moderately hilly course I can manage around 26 miles using the lowest level of assist so I have to agree with the post above that this achievement of 41 miles is in the realm of those mpg's given by motor manufacturers. Using a higher assist level dramatically decreases the range of course but then there's always so many factors involved in quoting mileages achieved.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about www.bromkit.com? No fork splaying required, but they have no eBay history.

D

Deleted member 4366

That kit looks OK. It's a bit better than other ones I've seen, but still a bit expensive compared with a Q85 and S06S from BMSBattey, which will be just as good at about half the price.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
See they are now taking orders but you have to wait to 2018!

Link is saturated I guess too many people want one.

email.brompton.com/c/14hCa5NdQjnkin5uYG9TQA8fNn01

David888

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2015
According to Brompton website the new motor cannot be retrofitted to existing frames , I'm disappointed to say the least .

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some details in the link below.

Looks very routine, 250w brushless front hub motor with the battery in a Brommie bag.

Weight seems to be about 17kg, which is about the same as the existing kits.

Price is £2,495, about £1,500 more than a standard Brompton.

Way too dear for what is essentially kit components you could buy for, what - about £500?

Nothing wrong with it, but very underwhelming given the long wait.

https://www.brompton.com/News/Posts/2016/Electric-bike

• Agree
Reactions: flecc