E-scooters 'are five times safer than bikes' - Study by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Probably his breeding days gone!

Reminds me, though now in my eighties, as a child miss judging the spacing of two bollards on an inter estate walkway. Jammed handle bars and a trip down the crossbar.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: jimriley

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Probably his breeding days gone!

Reminds me, though now in my eighties, as a child miss judging the spacing of two bollards on an inter estate walkway. Jammed handle bars and a trip down the crossbar.
Had he hit that barrier on a bike - up and over, landing on his unhelmeted head and jaw, instead of broken ribs potentially puncturing a lung, or whatever injuries he sustained.

Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Had he hit that barrier on a bike - up and over, landing on his unhelmeted head and jaw, instead of broken ribs potentially puncturing a lung, or whatever injuries he sustained.
I'm sure his phone would have broken his fall. :D

TTFN
John.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
It was the lad "finding" the van I had in mind, sorry not the one referred to in the OP, I should have made that point.

Reactions: flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
IMO there is no lack of "clarity" on "private electric scooter laws". surely the legality is clear enough, just everywhere the laws are both flaunted and ignored?

If the laws on use of private scooters need changing is quite a different question; again, IMO I can't see with the history of overlooking them, it ever now being reigned back, so by default the norm will morph into the legal.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Easy. Go after Halfords for selling vehicles that ers illegal to use, fine 'em a couple of million. That should be enough to put off most sellers and raise public awareness to discourage buying.
Well in my dreams anyway.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Easy. Go after Halfords for selling vehicles that ers illegal to use, fine 'em a couple of million. That should be enough to put off most sellers and raise public awareness to discourage buying.
Well in my dreams anyway.
"Dreams" yes, as they are not "illegal to use", just illegal to use as some buyers, I suspect nearly all, choose to use them.

The nearly total lack of enforcement of the law on illegal users has IMO lead to now an uncorrectable situation, well any widely acceptable one.