E-scooters 'are five times safer than bikes' - Study by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only reason Boris Johnson accepted the trial of these American machines only was to curry favour with the USA in the hope of getting a post Brexit trade deal. Since first Trump and since Biden have made it clear that it's "America First" and no trade deal, this is what we should do:

First, order these US scooter hire firms to go home and take their machines with them.

Second, instruct all police forces to confiscate for destruction all e-scooters seen on roads or pavements since they are all illegal and always have been.

Third, issue a very strong warning to the cynical companies like Halfords that if they ever again take advantage of other law to sell illegal machines to the unsuspecting, both their companies and their directors will find it very costly indeed.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Second, instruct all police forces to confiscate for destruction all e-scooters seen on roads or pavements since they are all illegal and always have been.
Along with those home built ebikes that cause all the fires because they havent been professionally made so therefore they're not up to standard ;)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: flecc and Ocsid

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The original story is clearly a lot of old b0ll0x - BBC London evening news ran a story on this evening on how eScooters are more dangerous then eBikes...who do you believe??

Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
When I am out and about, I do see the majority of cyclists riding responsibly and mostly wearing helmets.

EScooter riders, on the road and pavement are the opposite, most dont ride responsibly, they are too fast, playing dodgems etc and rarely wearing helmets.

On good condition, very flat surfaces and at slow speed EScooters might be OK, but on the modern style moonscape roads we have ?

• Agree

BikeMike

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2023
The original story is clearly a lot of old b0ll0x - BBC London evening news ran a story on this evening on how eScooters are more dangerous then eBikes...who do you believe??

I`ll add that a recent study by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents found that electric scooters are five times safer than bicycles. As a student researching this topic, I was surprised by this finding. However, it is important to note that I relied on trusted sources such as https://paperell.net/research-papers-for-sale which assists students in their studies and enables them to find research paper for sale. According to the survey, one of the main reasons for the increased safety of e-scooters is their slower speed compared to bicycles. Additionally, e-scooters are more maneuverable and have better brakes, allowing riders to avoid accidents. While these results are promising, it is still crucial to exercise caution while using e-scooters.
I can believe many things, but TV is not one of them.
As for the topic, it is difficult to argue which is safer because there is always a human factor. A fool on roller skates can be more dangerous than a peloton of riders.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I think most people can use a bit of common sense to work out which is safer.

Given the average state of the roads these days which is likely to be more stable, and resistant to potholes, a large wheeled cycle, or a tiny wheeled scooter ?

Which is likely to be more stable, someone riding a cycle, who is sitting and leaning forward and thus has a relativly low centre of gravity versus an upright scooter rider ?

How effective are the brakes on a cycle versus those on a scooter ?

And for use at night is the typical cycle rider, with lights and high viz, going to be safer than a scooter rider dressed ninja style in dark clothing and with no lights ?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Underlying it all is I suspect a government and general desire so keen to reduce car use, that genuine statistics can be ignored if they paint a negative picture.
Right initial intent, wrong methodology in achieving it, on many counts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Underlying it all is I suspect a government and general desire so keen to reduce car use, that genuine statistics can be ignored if they paint a negative picture.
Right initial intent, wrong methodology in achieving it, on many counts.
It was a purely political move. Boris Johnson, desperate for a post Brexit trade deal with the USA, thought he could curry favour by permitting the US companies access to this hire market, something they had long campaigned for.

Of course that failed since Biden has followed Trump's "America First" policy, so there is no trade deal, nor will there be as Biden has now made clear.

In these circumstances we should tell the US hire companies to pack up shop and go back to the USA, taking their machines with them. But of course we lack any politicians with the guts to do anything so positive.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
If he or she misses seeing that, what chances of them seeing pedestrians and children?
Should have gone to "Specsavers".

All said, I do hope they are not seriously hurt, but temporarily pained enough to be more aware in the future, even if for others safety.

muffie02

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 25, 2023
If he or she misses seeing that, what chances of them seeing pedestrians and children?
Should have gone to "Specsavers".

All said, I do hope they are not seriously hurt, but temporarily pained enough to be more aware in the future, even if for others safety.
i would say severely bruised ribs if they are lucky - studied the mechanisms of injury in my fire service days - that could have been fatal - so yes specsavers and turn on brain cell would be a good idea

muffie02

Mar 25, 2023
I think most people can use a bit of common sense to work out which is safer.

Given the average state of the roads these days which is likely to be more stable, and resistant to potholes, a large wheeled cycle, or a tiny wheeled scooter ?

Which is likely to be more stable, someone riding a cycle, who is sitting and leaning forward and thus has a relativly low centre of gravity versus an upright scooter rider ?

How effective are the brakes on a cycle versus those on a scooter ?

And for use at night is the typical cycle rider, with lights and high viz, going to be safer than a scooter rider dressed ninja style in dark clothing and with no lights ?
ah but you are dealing with "experts " here ........... like they observed in Monty python " logic don't enter into it mate ! " - and agree - see them round here - probably running drugs - dark clothes - no lights - going like a bat out of hell ............... until they meet up with a large tin box on 4 wheels marked "TAXI " - ......... splat !!! -seen 2 VERY near misses this week already - last week there was a SPLAT !! - erk ran off - car driver was to say the least not best pleased !! .............. but the "experts have pronounced - so it must be true ............ i'll stick to my bike thanks - and ride cautiously -!!

Reactions: guerney

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
A big sign in Braille needed for this scooter rider.
Beware Gate!
Those damm stealth gates, they are out to get you. ;) This guy though takes it to the next level, wonder what was so interesting on his phone.

TTFN
John.

muffie02

Mar 25, 2023
Those damm stealth gates, they are out to get you. ;) This guy though takes it to the next level, wonder what was so interesting on his phone.

TTFN
John.

who put that van there ?? - maybe that will teach him to pay attention to where he is going ........... probably not tho .lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

TTFN
John.
My jawguarded helmet only guards those teeth I wish to keep.