E-scooters 'are five times safer than bikes' - Study by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they said in their studies that 94% of the accidents don't involve the hire e-scooters, so they have to make guesses.
Their first guess is 20,000 e-scooters are from the hire companies, 730,000 from other sources.
I don't know how they come up to this estimate.
Only accidents involving hire e-scooters (2.7% of the total of e-scooters in use, from their first guess) are documented.
The rest of their study seems thus result of guesswork.
As said, very little they publish seems credible to me. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they used Halfords sales figure as a guide to guestimating the quoted 730,000 from other sources, since Halfords have done so well with them while lobbying hard for legalisation.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
As long as any new legislation dosen't allow them I can see larger wheeled scooters with or without seats becoming popular.
There is nothing stopping those rather more substantial vehicles being introduced as electric mopeds or motorcycles right now. All they need is the type approval.

The real debate is about what will be allowed without the need for type approval, insurance et I.e. the escooter equivalent to pedelec.

The issue not directly addressed by RoSPA, and of great concern to RNIB and others is the use on pavements rather than roads, and what in a policing sense is going to be done about that.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
they said in their studies that 94% of the accidents don't involve the hire e-scooters, so they have to make guesses.
Their first guess is 20,000 e-scooters are from the hire companies, 730,000 from other sources.
I don't know how they come up to this estimate.
Only accidents involving hire e-scooters (2.7% of the total of e-scooters in use, from their first guess) are documented.
The rest of their study seems thus result of guesswork.
..and the disingenuousness of their report is that they don't make that very clear, and they make no attempt to explore the effect of errors in very flaky assumptions.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
..and the disingenuousness of their report is that they don't make that very clear, and they make no attempt to explore the effect of errors in very flaky assumptions.
It's crafted to justify whatever their announcement is going to be regarding e-scooter legalisation - if the facts don't conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Massive infrastructure projects are good for the ecomony - millions of escooters boiling over pavements and roads could justify the purchasing of roadside properties, to widen roads to include more lanes for a wider range of road vehicles? It'd be wonderful use of the Tory magic money tree, which has invented over a £Trillion thus far.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There is nothing stopping those rather more substantial vehicles being introduced as electric mopeds or motorcycles right now. All they need is the type approval.

The real debate is about what will be allowed without the need for type approval, insurance et I.e. the escooter equivalent to pedelec.

The issue not directly addressed by RoSPA, and of great concern to RNIB and others is the use on pavements rather than roads, and what in a policing sense is going to be done about that.
Larger wheeled e-scooters with two or three wheels would be a much more sensible type to legalise for road use without the need for numbe plates, insurance etc. and are more likely to be actually used on roads. Mind you, with the numbers of bicycles and pedelecs I see on pavements, I'm not so sure... :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's my choice for e-scooting, Hells Angels style. It's actually an all-terrain mobility scooter with 4mph pavement mode and 8 mph on road mode, but also a 16mph Off Road mode which could be made legal by fully registering it since it has all the road gear like proper lights, mirrors etc. Great for pensioners with attitude:

As well as that 16 mph, its all wheel drive can climb 25% gradients and handle sand, mud and deep snow. Should be a hoot, but just short of £7000!

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Here's my choice for e-scooting, Hells Angels style. It's actually an all-terrain mobility scooter with 4mph pavement mode and 8 mph on road mode, but also a 16mph Off Road mode which could be made legal by fully registering it since it has all the road gear like proper lights, mirrors etc. Great for pensioners with attitude:

As well as that 16 mph, its all wheel drive can climb 25% gradients and handle sand, mud and deep snow. Should be a hoot, but just short of £7000!

BUY IT FLECC!!! :) Do they accept Klarna?

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BUY IT FLECC!!! :) Do they accept Klarna?
My garage can't take it and my e-car, but if ever I lose my driving licence due to old age deficiencies, I'll be in the market for it or similar, since it will enable me to get out and about in the countryside as usual.

And when local it would earn respect from the teenagers on their little wheeled Halfords e-scooters!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Prince Charles has mentioned nothing of our roads and pavements becoming infested with a plague of ninja e-scooters :mad: specifically

"My Government will improve transport across the United Kingdom, delivering safer, cleaner services and enabling more innovations."

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is what all these kids are going to get when there older and can afford one.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
  • Agree

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If one uses those quoted figures - with 50 people per bus, commuting by bus is 21.7 times safer than escooters, or 43.4 times safer with 100 people per bus. There's no mention of trains, which many people make escooter-range journeys with.
I suspect the scooter hire company 'sponsoring' this report would have known that publishing injury figures for per person mile travelled, would not have put eScooters in such a good light.

In particular I strongly suspect that choosing to do a journey by bus is very much safer than doing the same distance journey by eScooter.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Looks like e-scooter legislation will be part of the thusfar vapoury Transport Bill - they've pitted one charity against many, let the charity gladitorial games commence! :)

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Ruling will apply to scooters that meet the below, so basically the equivalent of the hire scheme ones.

Have an electric motor with a maximum continuous power rating of 500W
Not have pedals
Be designed to carry only one person
Have a maximum speed of 15.5mph
Weigh no more than 55kg (including the battery)
Have two wheels aligned in the direction of travel
Be steered using handlebars mechanically linked to one wheel
Have a hand-operated speed control
Have a power control that defaults to the ‘off’ position

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Yesterday I got smoked at the lights by this...thing. It zoomed uphill and I tried to keep up but I was smoked! Had to be a one megawatt motor, it's the only plausible explanation.

Coincidentally, these are the same traffic lights where I saw a dad foolishly giving his little daughter a lift to school using an electric scooter.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yesterday I got smoked at the lights by this...thing. It zoomed uphill and I tried to keep up but I was smoked! Had to be a one megawatt motor, it's the only plausible explanation.

Coincidentally, these are the same traffic lights where I saw a dad foolishly giving his little daughter a lift to school using an electric scooter.

Not in a ninja outfit? Is he wearing hi-viz because escooters are to be legalised?