eBike conversion kit help

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I'm looking to buy an electric conversion kit for my bike but cant quite find a suitable one.
I have a few requirements
  • be compatible with my 27(9@rear) speed 26" bike(i also have a 29" but wanted to use the 26")
  • work at 36V as I can get these batteries very cheaply.
  • 500w of power as I'm heavy
  • have an LCD display instead of a crappy LED one
  • work with my hydraulic brake levers though I dont mind changing to a different hydraulic set
  • pedal assist
  • somewhere around the £200 mark without batteries.
The most suitable I've found is this one on hallomotor.
http://www.hallomotor.com/2014-new-36v-500w-geared-ebike-conversion-kits-water-proof-cables.html
there are a few problems with it
  • the brake levers are compatible with my hydraulic brakes.
  • isnt listed as having assist
  • very expensive with delivery £293.66 with rear wheel, 26" wheel, PAS LCD

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how many adverts did you look at before going for that one?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I asked because there is another thread last week about hallomotor's adverts in ebay.co.uk - it appears that their kits are sold without UK warranty because the company operates from China.
You would be better off buying from an advertiser on this forum for their support and warranty (cyclotricity, cyclezee, panda, eclipse and woosh are offering kits) or buy from a UK source. As an example, the Big Bear kit from woosh without battery costs £200 including delivery and warranty.
If you have to buy from China, buy from bmsbattery.com because lots of members have bought from them and their stuff is OK.

Reactions: jonathan75

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
That kit looks terrible robdon it's only 350w and the wiring is terrible.

I did some more digging and decided a good mid drive kit would work with my gearing.
http://www.hallomotor.com/36v-500w-mid-drive-motor-conversion-kits-with-integrated-controller-and-lcd-display.html

This would let me use my hydraulic brakes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydraulic-Brake-Sensor-Switch-for-Electric-Bike-eBike-Conversions-8Fun-Bafang-/111643310832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fe75baf0

This is all a bit expensive the kit is £300 from China inc shipping and the brake sensors are £21.50 each. Also no EU limiter so the police would to seize this.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:eek: You have just rubbished one of the best and cheapest kits available directly from China which has been reviewed here and on ES and is one of the hottest kits out there at the mo.
Hope d8evh doesn't hear you say that about the Xiongda, he has 2 of them don't think he called them terrible.
Saw them on Panda a few days ago and following their rave reviews was sorely tempted but have 3 kits already still haven't fitted the 3rd kit yet.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensors from Eclipse about £1 cheaper or you could diy your own for HDB's.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
:eek: You have just rubbished one of the best and cheapest kits available directly from China which has been reviewed here and on ES and is one
of the hottest kits out there at the mo.
Hope d8evh doesn't hear you say that about the Xiongda, he has 2 of them.
Saw them on Panda a few days ago and following their rave reviews was sorely tempted but have 3 kits already still haven't fitted the 3rd kit yet.
He seems not to be looking further than this Hallomotor site.......

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have looked at Hallo before and they seem to be the only retail site for the Xofo branded hubs and kits by the time postage and duty are added they are quite a bit more. The figure of 300 that PS4 has is wrong as he hasn't allowed for postage and duty which is about another 80-100 quid.
The Panda Xiongda kits are marked up by about £75, where as they seem to be about £200 direct from China but as a business they have to put a bit of profit on top.

Last edited:

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
:eek: You have just rubbished one of the best and cheapest kits available directly from China which has been reviewed here and on ES and is one
of the hottest kits out there at the mo.
Hope d8evh doesn't hear you say that about the Xiongda, he has 2 of them.
That kit is for a 6 speed bike which is a groupset aimed at people who dont ride bikes as the frames and bikes are built to be disposable at £100-150. Normally the frames fail after some use when the rear non detachable mech hanger is damaged or is simply worn down. There is also very minimal gearing so if you live in an area with steep hills like I do then you would really struggle with the extra weight of the kit. Also see the attached image if you dont know what I mean when I said that the wiring is terrible.

Brake sensors from Eclipse about £1 cheaper or you could diy your own for HDB's.
Yes this looks like a better option just alot of searching ebay for the best magnetic switch. I may be able to gut the included brake levers.

He seems not to be looking further than this Hallomotor site.......
No I dont rely on a single site I've never heard of before. You clearly haven't read the thread as I already said that I'm searching google to find kits.

I spent some time earlier searching for a better price on that mid drive kit and found a better price on dhgate.

Attachments

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I clearly must have read the thread because it didn’t take long to see that the only two kits you linked to were those.

I don’t know why you came here at all if you don’t want to know what people who know about kits think.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PS4 You haven't been looking very hard there are 3 uk sites that sell that kit cheaper.

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
no adverts lots of google searches.
thanks for the advice trex lol
That was post 3. I linked to hallomotor for the mid drive kit as that site had the best product info for that kit but had found it originally on aliexpress for $850.

I don’t know why you came here at all if you don’t want to know what people who know about kits think.
Johncade you've obviously gotten offended very easily because I've said exactly why the Xiongda conversion kit is awful that doesnt fit my needs at all and is designed for a very low end budget bike.
johncade you seem to be trolling the thread.

PS4 You haven't been looking very hard there are 3 uk sites that sell that kit cheaper.
No need to say I'm not trying very hard thats just mean.
Okay which sites are selling that cheaper? and have you checked on delivery prices?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That kit is for a 6 speed bike which is a groupset aimed at people who dont ride bikes as the frames and bikes are built to be disposable at £100-150. Normally the frames fail after some use when the rear non detachable mech hanger is damaged or is simply worn down. There is also very minimal gearing so if you live in an area with steep hills like I do then you would really struggle with the extra weight of the kit. Also see the attached image if you dont know what I mean when I said that the wiring is terrible.
Looks like you are talking crap their !!!
Before you rubbish the kit any more best you try one first before you get egg on your face.
The Xiongda can be fitted with 7 and 8 speed freewheel on any bike cheap or expensive where you can spread the rear drop outs wide enough (Only if you have the balls).
It is a two speed hub with automatic speed change that will climb any hill as has been tested by a member on here and with the above freewheels will give plenty of gearing to suit all needs.
The weight of the Xiongda is no heavier then the BBS02.
Wiring is only as neat or as untidy as the installer installing it , I have seen pics of d8veh's bike and there is no untidy wiring in sight. All you have done is attached 2 pics of wiring taken from a sellers web site which promotes plug and play as a neater solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCade

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I stand corrected 1 site sells same price, 1 other a bit cheaper and another only sells 250,350 and 750w only. 1 of them includes delivery and one who is cheaper charges £12.
As to where from all 3 sellers have been mentioned in this thread some more than once.

ps4customgamer

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
7 speed bikes are still low end and 8 speeds are still often sold on budget bikes and some higher end bikes but admittedly I've always to be 8 a casette fit.
My comment about weight wasnt about weight in comparison to BBS02 it was about hill climbing with only 6 gears vs 9 and the weight referring to the weight of having a kit installed, I'm aware the xiongda gives you the option to change down on a front derailleur but at least with me and my circles rear shifting is preferred. As for wiring the Xiongda has a poor wiring setup that is ok for modding but requires alot of work to make tidy. I refuse to believe the common use of tv cable tidies and cable ties can be as neat as the all black simpler wiring in the bafang kit. The Xiongda kit is still no use to me as it wont fit a 9 speed cassette and isnt 36v.

Nealh do you have a link to the 750w version for 250,350?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Also see the attached image if you dont know what I mean when I said that the wiring is terrible.
Notice the 4 tails coming out of that neat controller?
You can't cut the moulded cables coming out of your neat controller.
They are for the motor, battery, the trunk cable and the pedelec sensor.
You need matching moulded cables on your motor, battery, trunk cable and pedelec sensor. and you can't cut any of the moulded cable if they are too long or too short.
Not only you have to buy the whole set (battery, pedelec sensor and battery cradle) from the same source, you will always end up with having to hide extra cable when you use the neat controller. Ugly.
When you need to replace your pedelec sensor for example, you'll have to go back and pray that the source still stock the part, all because it uses moulded cable.
Most kits use waterproof trunk cable nowadays. You can easily cut the trunk cable to length on the controller side and terminate the cable inside the plastic controller housing for a nice, waterproof finish.

Last edited: