ebike law changes coming....

Just had a phone call with direct news from Germany about what is coming. (note Germany, not Austria - I've not heard about this from KTM). This is a very very very credible source.

This might not be 100% correct, but you'll get the gist I hope of the new laws.

Basically "tuning motors" is going to end. All the countries in the EU think the brands are basically ignoring the law. So the motor brands will have to legally stop their motors being tune able if they want to sell in the EU.

So they will have a system built in where if you ride it turned, after 90 minutes the motor assistance speed will be reduced by 10kph. If you keep doing it, after another 90 minutes it'll be cut by another 10kphh until eventually you just have a heavy bike with a motor that doesn't work, or something along those lines.

All the brands will also have to be able to prove that the motors have been modified and stop it.

The other good new is that the change is potentially going to run parallel with an increase in the motor speed restriction from 25kph, up to 35kph.

Good news on both accounts I think.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I wonder if we would then be able to legally tune our current motors to 35kph?

spinellino

Pedelecer
May 11, 2017
Italy
That would be really great!
Along with that they should also begin to enforce speed limits on cycle paths.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
That would be really great!
Along with that they should also begin to enforce speed limits on cycle paths.
Careful what you wish for. Yes I ride an ebike on cycle paths but it is still restricted inspite of my ability to derestrict it. Nothing burns me anymore than idiots I see travelling at speeds 25mph or more. If we have have speed limits on shared paths they will be much lower than 15mph. You can take that to the bank. What this will do is polarize pedestrians against cyclists even more so as the limits will be unenforcable.

We can't even get cyclists to have a bell much less use them when encountering pedestrians. What we need is a solid self safety education policy within the cycling community itself. A self policing policy unheld by responsible cyclist will do far more than speed zones. One can always dream.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Basically "tuning motors" is going to end. All the countries in the EU think the brands are basically ignoring the law. So the motor brands will have to legally stop their motors being tune able if they want to sell in the EU.
Where is this directive coming from? The EU?

Seeing as the UK will no longer be members of the EU this may well be a non-story!

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
This would be good news for folk like me who occasionally like a little bit over the current 15mph limit.
Would the S class still continue?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
Where is this directive coming from? The EU?

Seeing as the UK will no longer be members of the EU this may well be a non-story!
Well yes, and no....

Even if we do actually leave, this EU directive / law will (like pretty much all of them) still have a strong influence. The UK government have already said they'll just copy and paste the EU laws.

Then if we don't just copy and paste them we're going to have to copy this one. The UK isn't a big enough market to demand special products. Just look at when we did have special UK law on eBIkes.. we had 200w limit when the rest of the EU was 250w. We eventually caught up. The same would happen inside or outside the EU. We're not forced to take these things up even now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The other good new is that the change is potentially going to run parallel with an increase in the motor speed restriction from 25kph, up to 35kph.

Good news on both accounts I think.
But unfortunately not for us.

Usage is determined nationally and we have a record of greater restriction than the rest of the EU. A second aspect is our departure from the EU. A third factor is our determination to treat everything capable of over 15.5 mph as a motorcycle, even in one case those restricted to 15.5 mph (L1e-A). A fourth factor is that the DfT take over a decade to make any necessary change in pedelec law, since they don't see it as important.

But unfortunately not for us.

Usage is determined nationally and we have a record of greater restriction than the rest of the EU. A second aspect is our departure from the EU. A third factor is our determination to treat everything capable of over 15.5 mph as a motorcycle, even in one case those restricted to 15.5 mph (L1e-A). A fourth factor is that the DfT take over a decade to make any necessary change in pedelec law, since they don't see it as important.
All true of course... but you aren't going to find Bosch, Shimano, Brose etc etc, making motors for UK specific market. We'll be forced to follow like we were with the 250w upgrade.

Also its coming 2019, when even by anyones estimates we'll still be very much inside the EU.

So I suspect we'll get the restrictions on turning, but possibly not the increase speed... We will see.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All true of course... but you aren't going to find Bosch, Shimano, Brose etc etc, making motors for UK specific market. We'll be forced to follow like we were with the 250w upgrade.
Agreed , but with usage under our control and usage law, they'll be registered, insured, number plated, and the rider will have to be m/c helmeted and with the right driving licence. We always used to have that for all assisted bikes and still do in a part of the UK, Northern Ireland.

Also its coming 2019, when even by anyones estimates we'll still be very much inside the EU.
That has no effect, as said, usage law is ours, not the EU's.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the bit about stopping tuning isn't changing the law, its actually enforcing the current one.
And one I fully agree with Col, sharing your position on this.

But yes, I take your point about the speed limit change, it would need the UK to change its law to reflect the motors being produced
It's surprising how stubborn countries can be on such changes. Until very recently Australia had our old 200 watts law so rigidly enforced that no-one tried to export 250 watt bikes to them. Led by the State of Victoria there's some easement now, but I believe individual States still have the last word. Where they have accepted 250 watts now, they still have a rigidly enforced 15.5 mph assist limit, so these new faster machines will once again be excluded from their market.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is it April the first or did your source find that on a post somewhere dated April 1st. It's absolutely impossible for the control system of a crank-drive bike to know what speed the bike is going. Whatever speed sensor they used, including GPS, it wouldn't take a genius 5 minutes to figure out how to blank it off and send a different signal like the present dongles do. Even if they could do it with encrypted codes, there would be an immediate market for after-market controllers. All motors work the same, so it's relatively easy to use a different controller and control system.

I can remember in 1999 when they brought out DVDs. They said it would take the most powerful computers a million years to crack the security encryption system. A gang of hackers did it in about 3 hours, so we could all copy DVDs. Even when they brought out the DVDHD and Blueray encryption, which was even more sophisticated and secure, it still didn't take long for the hackers to have a decryption system. 13,256,278,887,***,***,***,***,***,***,401,704,640 is the magic number. I think it's actually an illegal number, so I blanked out the middle.

• Informative
Reactions: Izzyekerslike
Is it April the first or did your source find that on a post somewhere dated April 1st. It's absolutely impossible for the control system of a crank-drive bike to know what speed the bike is going. Whatever speed sensor they used, including GPS, it wouldn't take a genius 5 minutes to figure out how to blank it off and send a different signal like the present dongles do. Even if they could do it with encrypted codes, there would be an immediate market for after-market controllers. All motors work the same, so it's relatively easy to use a different controller and control system.

I can remember in 1999 when they brought out DVDs. They said it would take the most powerful computers a million years to crack the security encryption system. A gang of hackers did it in about 3 hours, so we could all copy DVDs. Even when they brought out the DVDHD and Blueray encryption, which was even more sophisticated and secure, it still didn't take long for the hackers to have a decryption system. 13,256,278,887,***,***,***,***,***,***,401,704,640 is the magic number. I think it's actually an illegal number, so I blanked out the middle.
My source is someone at Bosch... Read isn't that what you like.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK

Totally agree with you. This is a none story the speed limited increase is good of course, but if the motor is mechanically capable of further speed / power there will be people out there able to hack the firmware / software. This is the case with most things. Enough said!