ebike snobbery

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
During my quest to locate a bike shop to do an electric conversion, whilst some were accommodating others were belligerent and almost how dare you think we would undertake that attitude?

Has anyone else experienced this poor attitude from traditional bike shops?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Most bike shops wouldn't want to get involved with kits unless they fitted it themselves and supplied the donor bikes Andy. You may be better off getting a kit off the internet.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Most bike shops wouldn't want to get involved with kits unless they fitted it themselves and supplied the donor bikes Andy. You may be better off getting a kit off the internet.
Thanks David, the only reasons thinking of this route was 1. Throttle 2. Nexus or Shinano IGH, which to find on a pre built bike that I find aesthetically pleasing at a price within reason is not easy.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
One shop stated you can't fit electric conversions to standard bikes they are not designed for it. Is this true?
Thanks David, the only reasons thinking of this route was 1. Throttle 2. Nexus or Shinano IGH, which to find on a pre built bike that I find aesthetically pleasing at a price within reason is not easy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's only partially true. A lot of small changes are made to the frame and selection of components like brakes to take into account the extra torsion placed on the frame by unsprung weights (motor and battery) and the much higher kinetic energy that ebikes are capable of. Even among ebikes, the design varies a fair bit depending on the target end users. If you put the Woosh Karoo and the Woosh Big Bear side by side, they differ in a lot of components. The Big Bear favours comfort and power, the Karoo conserves as much as possible the pleasure of pedalling.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
During my quest to locate a bike shop to do an electric conversion, whilst some were accommodating others were belligerent and almost how dare you think we would undertake that attitude?

Yes. There's still a widespread element in the cycle trade who are disapproving of any electric assist on bicycle, considering it not true cycling.

This is the same attitude that one gets from those cyclists and others who say e-biking is "cheating".

They are all yesterday's people though, times and attitudes are steadily changing.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Hi before I purchased my current E bike I did visit a couple of the well regarded Dublin shops, some selling road bikes at 4000 euro . The attitude was either along the lines of ... "You pervert " , why should you want to pervert the purity of cycling. Or you poor benighted soul why would you you be so lost that you wanted a machine when you could have a brompton.
However lately I went into another shop , wanting to check up on potentially better tyres and did meet with a more pleasant attitude ...
" Well it demolishes hills "....

So yes a snobbery exists.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
There are a lot of low end bikes that shouldn't but do have kits fitted. I would not ride them without a kit because of their lack of strenght and build quality. Yes, there are many ebikes designed from the ground up to be ebikes. Again their build quality differs, usually based on how much they cost.

If you are deciding to build a kit bike, the quality of your base bike, combined with the quality of the kit, will determine the end result. Of course that's obvious. If you stay inside of regulations, I don't see the point as there are many designed ebikes that would cost the same as the kit bike and have a warranty.

But hey ho, there are many happy and sucessful kit builders, especially here on this forum. They also have many happy customers so it is ultimately up to choice,.

Cheers

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Yes. There's still a widespread element in the cycle trade who are disapproving of any electric assist on bicycle, considering it not true cycling.

This is the same attitude that one gets from those cyclists and others who say e-biking is "cheating".

They are all yesterday's people though, times and attitudes are steadily changing.
It's interesting the attitude towards eBikes here in the UK.

Go to Europe and the eBike market is growing massively - just take EuroBike, a bicycle trade fair which this year was full of eBikes. There was hardly any interest in normal bicycle/

The attitude in the UK that eBikes are "lazy" won't last. Soon people will realise that an eBike is a valid alternative to a moped or motorbike that you can keep in your flat, carry up stairs or pack in your car. From that angle it's a lot less lazy than using a fully powered vehicle - you are still pedalling.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
If you are deciding to build a kit bike, the quality of your base bike, combined with the quality of the kit, will determine the end result.

Cheers
Absolutely agree with this

We often get people ask "how much range will i get"

The answer to this depends hugely on what bike you fit a kit to. If you fit it to a poor base bike then you are not going to get much range. But if you for instance have a high quality racing bike, the range from a standard kit is going to be much more

Reactions: Emo Rider

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The attitude in the UK that eBikes are "lazy" won't last. Soon people will realise that an eBike is a valid alternative to a moped or motorbike that you can keep in your flat, carry up stairs or pack in your car. From that angle it's a lot less lazy than using a fully powered vehicle - you are still pedalling.
Regarding the attitude of those cycle trade trade elements who regard e-biking as not true cycling, I draw this parallel with the motor trade.

Imagine if the motor trade in 1939/40 rejected the first automatic cars as not "true" driving but "cheating", and refused to sell automatics. That attitude would in turn lead to rejection of power steering, ABS, ESP, front and rear parking sensors etc., all cheating of course!

This shows how utterly stupid such attitudes are, amounting to little more than self-inflicted injuries.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
It's interesting the attitude towards eBikes here in the UK.

Go to Europe and the eBike market is growing massively - just take EuroBike, a bicycle trade fair which this year was full of eBikes. There was hardly any interest in normal bicycle/

Recently on a visit to Italy I was struck by the amount of Ebikes being used and by the different age groups riding them. And as you say there does seem to be an entirely different attitude, looks like they are being treated as just a practical and cheap way of getting around and don't attract any stigma. Lots of different types and styles as well

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've tinkered with bikes and trikes all my life, and I experimented with ebikes over 10 years ago, well before they became as popular as they are now.

The early lead-acid battery bikes were untenable, with their short range and immense weight. If things had stayed the way they were, the market share would never have increased to encompass mainstream cyclists as it has now.

Lithium battery technology, sophisticated motors, and ultra lightweight frames has now given us everyday practical transport with electric power whilst still retaining some of the enjoyable healthy exercise element.

Yes, snobbery from many "pure" cyclists is still very prevalent, but sadly, bias and single-mindedness will always exist for many. I also enjoy riding recumbent bikes and trikes, and they were banned from competitive cycling almost a century ago, because their reduction in wind-resistence wiped the floor with their drop handlebar mainstream competition. :rolleyes:

As for some cycle shops denigrating ebikes or ebike kits, it's their loss.

If instead they accepted the rapidly increasing interest in assisted pedalling from their bread and butter customers, they'd claw back some of their losses to mail order.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Interestingly, I have been aware over the last year IBDs have become very interested in Ebikes to the benefit of the industry. They know and understand bicycles and are becoming excited about the new market that is blossoming in the U.K.

I welcome them.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Big Malky

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2015
On a parrel theme I have paddled various canoes and sea kayaks over the years. My preferred option now is an inflatable kayak.
The snobbery now is childish in the extreme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
On a parrel theme I have paddled various canoes and sea kayaks over the years. My preferred option now is an inflatable kayak.
The snobbery now is childish in the extreme.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its interesting to hear that there is such snobbery in other areas of sport and noted that our friends on the water also like dipping their toes in the pedelec arena… [emoji6]

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
The paddle sports snobbery is terrible my local club are so short sighted its unbelievable due to not moving with the times.As for the ebike thing i think it will get more popular if the prices are kept in check and goverment dont interfere .