Ebike wheel wont stay on

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
With your motor I'd personally go with rigid frame and fork out for a Suntour NCX or thudbuster - If you want all suspension with motor it would be best to save hard and buy OEM but you'll be look at £3000+ Voodoo, Vitus, haibike etc, not my forte though I was lucky to remember a few names. The trouble with full suspension "normal" cheapo bikes is they are not really built for much unless you pony up a few quid, then fitting a kit motor to a high end bike would be in most eyes a waste.

I tried cheapo front suspension and even though it was suntour it was carp. I got a an NCX and went back rigid, there is now less to go wrong, I do gravel and potholes and manage well enough tbf, big tires can help also.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Well, I spent a grand on my frame so I'm not ready to ditch it just yet. I will definitely be reducing the power though.

The great thing about cycling is everyone has their own opinions ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Yep all that cash spent on "metal putty" could, as @guerney rightly says buy a metal frame, in fact the cheapo bike usually stocked in local bike shops for a quick to work & back sales are normally steel circa £150. I will look at my local I am going there 2mo.
All that cash? It costs £5.95, not £595!

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Like which "Metal"? Lead? Steel? What would happen to you, if it breaks off while you're on the bike? :eek:
Well, generally speaking, max torque on the dropout is experienced from a standing start, usually not at high speed, so nothing much would happen other than you'd have to get off your bike and curse, which is what happened to me!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anything is possible, like being hit by lightening or a total failure of the frame due to an undetected manufacturing fault. But highly unlikely once you get moving. Max torque from a standing start is the most likely point of failure.
I think you misunderstood, it was a suggestion.

I meant is this a possible way of overcoming your problem, using a repair plate, if your frame has mudguard stay points and a bit of space to bolt to ahead of the spindle.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I think you misunderstood, it was a suggestion.

I meant is this a possible way of overcoming your problem, using a repair plate, if your frame has mudguard stay points and a bit of space to bolt to ahead of the spindle.
Ah, I see! My mistake, I didn't realise there was a link there! It's on my list of options but I don't think I have much to mount a plate to. My frame is quite awkward so even fitting a universal torque arm is causing me a few issues. I have all sorts of other things I need to be getting on with so the bike sometimes takes a bit of a back seat.
I was playing with it yesterday - tools and bits and bobs out all over the yard and then I felt a few drops of rain, mad scuttle to get everything in, then no rain!
Today I'm fitting a carpet, making burgers, fixing my computer, running some wires, so the bike is on hold for the moment.
Lucky for me I live close to work so getting a taxi doesn't cost much.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On the packet... Can't really answer more than that, but if I go down that route you'll hear back from me, or not!
Wifi is free in most hospitals.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Wifi is free in most hospitals.
Sounds awful! The best thing about hospitals is you can listen to a podcast without any interruption!

I'm 52 and haven't been admitted to hospital ever. Although I've been to A&E once or twice, never due to a biking accident. The last time was cos I got bitten by some kind of winged beastie. In fact the last 3 times were all cos of bites/stings/beasties.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sounds awful! The best thing about hospitals is you can listen to a podcast without any interruption!
You'll constantly be interrupted even in your sleep by measurements being taken obsessively and medication delivered, then there are the delightful sights, sounds and smells of state-created junkies having their bowels drained (also constantly) because of constipation caused by prescription synthetic opioid painkillers, even at night. But a change is as good as a rest...

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
You'll constantly be interrupted even in your sleep by measurements being taken obsessively and medication delivered, then there are the delightful sights, sounds and smells of state-created junkies having their bowels drained (also constantly) because of constipation caused by prescription synthetic opioid painkillers, even at night. But a change is as good as a rest...
Headphones!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Headphones!
Nose peg! And swimming goggles to stop toxic laxative chemical sting, N95 mask supply to block airborne fecal matter. Getting a private room won't help, they leave doors open.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Nose peg! And swimming goggles to stop toxic laxative chemical sting, N95 mask supply to block airborne fecal matter. Getting a private room won't help, they leave doors open.
It's not that bad - seen my Dad and brother die in hospital in the last 18 months, everything was clean and tidy. It was a little too hot for my liking. But I'm always too hot anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017 and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not that bad - seen my Dad and brother die in hospital in the last 18 months, everything was clean and tidy. It was a little too hot for my liking. But I'm always too hot anyway.
18 months isn't a long time. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I'm starting to regret writing about my experiences as a post-surgery hospital inmate.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
18 months isn't a long time. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I'm starting to regret writing about my experiences as a post-surgery hospital inmate.
Don't worry about it, they were both ready to go, I'm not bothered. I only mentioned it to point out that I've spent a fair bit of time in hospitals recently and my experience was not as bad as yours seems to have been.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't worry about it, they were both ready to go, I'm not bothered. I only mentioned it to point out that I've spent a fair bit of time in hospitals recently and my experience was not as bad as yours seems to have been.
I only mentioned a bit of my experience to emphasise my view that any serious medical intervention in hospital is well worth avoiding, unless absolutely necessary. All three of mine were bloody awful.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I only mentioned a bit of my experience to emphasise my view that any serious medical intervention in hospital is well worth avoiding. All three of mine were bloody awful.
I think serious medical intervention is always best avoided!

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think serious medical intervention is always best avoided!
If your "Metal-like" putty repair does land you in hospital, I advise taking a warm blanket - they switch off heating at night. Quite a hazardous move for old people, I would have thought. Freaking freezing.