Electric Bike World Tour

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Guims Bike

Hi Alex and Tony

Tony is correct, Guim's bike us currently a Custom job built for the rigours of such a trip. We utilised the 905 motor (Bafang) and Gears (Shimano Alivio) all other components were upgraded. We were so delighted with the look and ride we decided to create a limited run special incorporating the Dapush drive system and Alfine 8 gearbox. Guim's bike was the concept behind the 906xc Tourer hence the name.

It was originally agreed that Guim would use the same vehicle for the duration of his trip, however as the tour is getting such huge publicity and television coverage, we have decided to replace the bike with a standard 906Alfine with the new Tektro hydraulic brakes. He will use this bike for the Australian leg then through India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and southern Europe into Spain. I would like then to give him a 906 Tourer for his Americas ride and for the final Ireland and UK passage to the Olympic stadium in 2012.

We are using Guim's ride to test equipment and have made some interesting discoveries. The most important being the new Kenda puncture resistant tyres now fitted to all our bikes are superb, almost irradiating (or even eradicating! :eek: ) the dreaded flat tyre!

All the best

David

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Does this mean that Guim will be using 3 different bikes for his trip and the trip will not be completed on the same bike ? And the components will be different (new) for each bike?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tim

Does this mean that Guim will be using 3 different bikes for his trip and the trip will not be completed on the same bike ? And the components will be different (new) for each bike?
Yes it looks that way, maybe more if we get our 1006 out in time. We would have liked to use a single bike as it tells a different story about reliability etc. however the marketing possibilities on TV etc for new models are too good to miss.

Best regards

David

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Yes it looks that way, maybe more if we get our 1006 out in time. We would have liked to use a single bike as it tells a different story about reliability etc. however the marketing possibilities on TV etc for new models are too good to miss.

Best regards

David
Thanks David, I understand the business reasons behind this trip much better now and won't be trying to delve into the technicalities much more, unless there is a report coming out on the tech details. I hope that the trip provides some really useful R&D for you, it looks like it is doing so already.

Is Guim going to do a Tour de Britain in 2012 ? Maybe we could organise a ride along?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is Guim going to do a Tour de Britain in 2012 ? Maybe we could organise a ride along?
Great idea! Hopefully on my shiny new 1006!:D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks David, I understand the business reasons behind this trip much better now and won't be trying to delve into the technicalities much more, unless there is a report coming out on the tech details. I hope that the trip provides some really useful R&D for you, it looks like it is doing so already.

Brilliant idea Tim

I know he will be riding through Ireland and across the UK to London but if he has time and has survived the Amazonian jungle and Iranian deserts I am certain he would be up for a tour.

All the best

David

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Brilliant idea Tim

I know he will be riding through Ireland and across the UK to London but if he has time and has survived the Amazonian jungle and Iranian deserts I am certain he would be up for a tour.

All the best

David
Having spent small amounts of time in jungles and deserts I think I can safely say that the UK will be more of a challenge :D

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
he gotta ride quickly through jungles, otherwise kenda tires can be eaten by mosquitoes :D

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I'm a bit disappointed that Guim hasn't happened upon any more fashion shoots, we are lacking more 'fashion' photos on this thread ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Last edited:

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
Guim

G'day David. I'm an Aussie living in Sydney, Australia. I have had an interest in purchasing an electric bike for some time but never really got past the investigation part. Main issue was I couldn't pick a bike to start my electric travels with. That was until I met Guim at Glowworm Electric Bicycles in Marrickville, Sydney.
I found out about them simply by trawling the net. I read all about Guim and his adventure and decided to drive over to Glowworm to have a look at your Wisper bikes.
I have to say that I found Guim to be a top bloke. he was doing a bit of painting in the shop ( shelving ) when I arrived. We talked bikes for quite a while b4 I took his 906 out for a bit of a run. This thing I keep reading about....the electric smile...well I had it by my return to the shop. needless to say I am now waiting for my bike to arrive from O/S. Don't know how I'm going to handle the three month wait. I paid up front for the 906 city as I believe you are not sending any of the 906 Tourers to Australia .
I have also been reading the forum fairly intensively and have noted a few things you have said. Could you tell me what brakes are on the Aussie bike...mechanical or hydraulic disc. Also some bloke ( I think his name is Alex ) gave you a bit of a going over about the quality of the brakes. What was he on about.
Mate I have to say you have a very nice looking bike in the 906 and being a big bloke ( 6ft 2inches and 17stone retired rugby player ) Iam happy to be getting a bike with a larger frame and 28inch wheels. I felt a bit chunky on the 905 with its smaller frame and wheels but it still carried me around very satisfactorily when I compared it against the 906.
Again I would like to compliment Gium to you. he is a great ambassador for Wisper bikes and it is his fairdinkum attitude with me that convinced me that a Wisper bike is the one for me. Well done on linking up with him.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
An explanation

Thought I should explain about my forum name in saying G'day to everyone on the forum. Hopefully I will become a reqular contributer once I have received my bike. I intend on undertaking many journeys in Australia but unlike Gium I will use my van to get me to places of interest , many of them in the outback of this huge country. I hope my Wisper adventures will be of interest to you all.

GalahOnTheBay is a name given to me by my kitesurfing mates. ( kitsurfing is a sport that involves me riding a surfboard being towed by a large kite on 60 foot lines harnessed to my waist. It is not hard to reach speeds of 40knts an hour in strong winds. Kitesurfers currently hold the world record for a person being sail propelled ( over 50knts )...(falling off your board at these speeds is like falling on cement) The board has footstraps and the aim is to boost "big Airs " (30 to 40 feet in the air then land back on the water and continue on my journey.( there are some very good videos on Youtube of people far more skilled than myself if anyone is interested in googling them up ) I very much enjoy this sport and yahoo and laugh loudly whilst I am enjoying the session. The Galah is an Aussie parrot that is very loud and energetic and very prolific around Botany Bay in Sydney where I kite...I think my mates are trying to tell me something.
In any case the sport of kitesurfing is very environmentally friendly ( a nice alignment with my electric bike interest )
Cheers for now folks
Col (my real name )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Col, welcome to the forum and thanks for the interesting account. I hope you've coined some names for those mates too! Don't be tempted to try Kite towing that new Wisper, it'll end in disaster. :D

I've mailed David Miall with a link to trigger his attention to your query since he doesn't seem to be around at the moment.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Galah
Welcome to the forum
You must be from the south of Sydney! We Northern Beaches types have much more civilized sports activities!:p
I'm going to check out glow worm bikes tomorrow.
In meantime this is a great forum. Enjoy it
Tex