electric moped fault

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have already mentioned 49.7v is an average of 3.82v per cell if they are balanced, however I expect you may have a low cell group so the charger will remain green and the bms won't switch to allow the current to flow. We did warn you about the liitokala being cheap and suspect when you bought it and pretty sure we mentioned you may run into issues with it.

As SW also mentions you will have to open the pack to find the bms and take 13 seperate cell group voltage readings, those may or may not tell you where the fault lies.
If the 13 reading are all good then the bms is likely faulty and will need replacing

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I have already mentioned 49.7v is an average of 3.82v per cell if they are balanced, however I expect you may have a low cell group so the charger will remain green and the bms won't switch to allow the current to flow. We did warn you about the liitokala being cheap and suspect when you bought it and pretty sure we mentioned you may run into issues with it.

As SW also mentions you will have to open the pack to find the bms and take 13 seperate cell group voltage readings, those may or may not tell you where the fault lies.
If the 13 reading are all good then the bms is likely faulty and will need replacing

Yeah I must have forgot what you said. about that battery its only 9 months old. its a pity really as I cant sell it as working now. so looks as if i am going to have to sell as spares or repair. as I cant see any 48V batteries to fit the moped. if it wasn't too expensive I would get another battery. at least then I can sell as working, or just go down the road as selling it as spares or repair.. as I cant go opening this battery now and messing with the BMS. say I decide to get a new battery 48V would you advise it. at least then I could sell it for more as working moped.

I expect even if I bought a battery from UK it would have came from china

can you suggest what's best a new battery or sell as spares or repair

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't fancy having to do this myself, but will certainly have a go if needed - a BMS was replaced recently on this thread:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id just get rid of it and sell for spares or repair as a new batt from the uk will cost a fortune if jimmy makes it.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
id just get rid of it and sell for spares or repair as a new batt from the uk will cost a fortune if jimmy makes it.

whos jimmy LOL

Well they say you have to speculate to accumulate. But a 48V batt would it be worth it, mine you at least I would be able to sell for more. but as for spares or repair wont get sod all.

Well Ive just seen a 48V charger 54.6V output for just £15 now would that be worth getting

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I don't fancy having to do this myself, but will certainly have a go if needed - a BMS was replaced recently on this thread:

what does this do then as wont have thought it would recover mine LOL. it looks just like a normal charger

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they use fake cells as thats why there cheap and also a fire hazard as if the pack gets to hot because it cant do the amps needed it will explode.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they sell single cells not complete batts.

he can custom make any size batt and in the uk and will have warranty

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
they sell single cells not complete batts.

he can custom make any size batt and in the uk and will have warranty
Well I am seriously thinking about checking inside battery as if it could be repaired say like it needs a BMS are they expensive

As all I have done to this moped seems a shame now to sell for spares or repair plus I would at least have a good working moped to sell

I have tested a BMS well back on this forum when I 1st got moped I tested that battery BMS but obviously that battery wasn’t right for the moped so I think I will at least give it a go if anyone willing to give me some help. Can’t do any harm if I fail at least I would have tried

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bms will be 30 quid but if a cell bank has gone bad you need to remove the cells and spot weld in new ones.

the problem doing this is the cells will be mismatched ie new cells and old mixed together so if the other cells in the pack are fake then you could loose another cell group and be back to square one.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
bms will be 30 quid but if a cell bank has gone bad you need to remove the cells and spot weld in new ones.

the problem doing this is the cells will be mismatched ie new cells and old mixed together so if the other cells in the pack are fake then you could loose another cell group and be back to square one.
Well £30 isn’t bad for a BMS and like u said if it’s a cell bank well that’s it. I think if I can get battery going at least I’ve tried plus all a learning curve I’m no hurry anyway plus I would be able to sell for more than spares or repair

But would need to remove shrink wrap 1st can you buy that blue wrap as it’s just like normal shrink wrap what you heat with hair dryer or what ever

I may look for a job mending electric mopeds ha ha ha well I would have had enough bloody experience

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
what does this do then as wont have thought it would recover mine LOL. it looks just like a normal charger

He replaced the BMS at the end of the thread, which might be worth doing, if it turns out that you need to?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well I am seriously thinking about checking inside battery as if it could be repaired say like it needs a BMS are they expensive

As all I have done to this moped seems a shame now to sell for spares or repair plus I would at least have a good working moped to sell

I have tested a BMS well back on this forum when I 1st got moped I tested that battery BMS but obviously that battery wasn’t right for the moped so I think I will at least give it a go if anyone willing to give me some help. Can’t do any harm if I fail at least I would have tried

I reckon you'll fall in love with your Erider 15 all over again after it's fixed and keep it. It's gotta be those curves or something

Avoid getting electrocuted.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I reckon you'll fall in love with your Erider 15 all over again after it's fixed and keep it. It's gotta be those curves or something
Ya having a laugh no way will I be keeping it. As had a good 5 months at repairing it. But learnt loads from here Nealh and Matthewskack have been great in helping. Just hope getting battery sorted which Honestly never expected to have to check. But at least if it’s not gonna cost too much well it’s worth trying and if I can’t well that’s it. But shame moped has been running over a week on its stand I mean I have tested it every day just to see and all good but now need batt sorting as can’t sell with out it

I will when I get more time look inside battery soon

ILL B BACK lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Spending another £200 on a battery doesn't mean you will get £200 for the bike when working so it is either cut your losses now or attempt to opene the battery to repair it.
You have thus far learnt and managed to carry out work you never dreamed of before , the battery is a piece of cake to check cell voltage and if you can solder well a bms is that daunting.
As with the rest of work you have carried out we can give advice on what to do.
One can get a bms for approx. £15 - £25.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think you paid approx. £90 for the liitokala, we said at the time it will be fake or poor cells used. It may be the cheap electronics used otherwise known as the bms, pay cheap pay twice.
My next battery build is a simple 12s 2p build with 21700 cells, 24 of them are £106 on there own and are one of the best cells avialable.