ERider moped Help

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hi Billy, got your message, I think your best way forward with this is to make up some patch leads to convert the battery connections to match the bike and charger. This will save you doing any work to the battery itself. How are your soldering skills? This lead will fit your battery discharge connector, then you can fit the wires to your IEC socket.
This will fit your charger connector, then remove the male plug and most of the lead and solder the jack plug in Nealh's post onto the other end.
Make sure you measure polarity on the charger and battery charge connector carefully. When checking the battery discharge jack, fit the new plug into the connector and measure on that, it is very easy to short your meter probes together if you put them in the female jack on the battery. Hope this all makes sense to you :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one buys the screw fitting DC jack then no soldering is needed.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi Billy, got your message, I think your best way forward with this is to make up some patch leads to convert the battery connections to match the bike and charger. This will save you doing any work to the battery itself. How are your soldering skills? This lead will fit your battery discharge connector, then you can fit the wires to your IEC socket.

Make sure you measure polarity on the charger and battery charge connector carefully. When checking the battery discharge jack, fit the new plug into the connector and measure on that, it is very easy to short your meter probes together if you put them in the female jack on the battery. Hope this all makes sense to you :)
Hi I've had to go ahead and start making up the leads, as Like I said I've waited 9 weeks for this battery, so cant wait to try moped. as I hadn't heard anything from people here only Nealh. no offence to others, as we all have our own lifes too, which I understand. anyway I've had to keep the discharge connector as IEC plug, as thats whats on the moped battery case on bike. a IEC connector, so had to be same on discharge. wheeliepete you must have read my mind, as I have ordered this lead a male deans connector, and those wires other end I will fit 2 spade clips to go onto that IEC discharge plug.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221063445166

Im a bit confused what you said about that 1m Power Extension Cable IEC Kettle Male to Female UPS Lead C13 - C14

I wont be needing that will I as be removing the IEC plug from the charger, and change it for what Nealh said. a jack plug and as the charge lead is a female or is it male connector I have ordered from ebay this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143991818437

and this is what I have done to battery case filled up that square hole where original old battery jack plug was. I just cut a piece of plastic and super glued and also hot glued it too. drilled a big enough hole to push the battery charge lead through, Ive got to add some hot glue on the inside yet as not finished. as it will just push through if I plug in battery plug. but thats NP yet as waiting for other leads from ebay, and like Nealh said I wont need to solder jack plug as you just screw the + and - in. but I will add some shrink wrap over jack plug too. the only soldering I have to do is when I join 2 spade clips from that dean male connector to discharge IEC plug. here are 2 snaps what I have done

Reactions: wheeliepete

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I forgot to add images

I'm going to need to know about making sure wires are connected ok like you said wheeliepete I don't want battery to blow up

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Nice one Billy, great minds and all that, sounds like your on the case. Just take your time and double check polarity before you connect anything.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The small dc 5.5 x2.1 jack plug has a + & - sign so one can't screw/connect the polarity incorrectly. The pin in the middle is V+ and the inner metal sides all V-, never try to measure polarity from the battery socket as one will for sure short the meter probes. Use one of those screw jack plugs, push it in and measure voltage via the wire contacts/screws to get a reading.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The small dc 5.5 x2.1 jack plug has a + & - sign so one can't screw/connect the polarity incorrectly.
Yes I noticed that, much better than soldering. the only soldering I need to do is that lead from dean male connector to discharge IEC plug to solder 2 spade clips on

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The small dc 5.5 x2.1 jack plug has a + & - sign so one can't screw/connect the polarity incorrectly. The pin in the middle is V+ and the inner metal sides all V-, never try to measure polarity from the battery socket as one will for sure short the meter probes. Use one of those screw jack plugs, push it in and measure voltage via the wire contacts/screws to get a reading.
Hi when you are checking on the charger what wire is + and - what do you put multi meter on I know its DC but is it say 200 you have it on also will charger need to be plugged into mains to check those wires or not

well thats the jack plug from battery glued in all fine. looks a bit of a mess but its only me using bike so NP

Attachments

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
200 dc is fine, when probing the wire one is looking to see if the -- appears in front of the voltage reading. If it doesn't then polarity is correct red probe to v+ & black probe to V-, If the -- shows up then polarity is wrong.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
200 dc is fine, when probing the wire one is looking to see if the -- appears in front of the voltage reading. If it doesn't then polarity is correct red probe to v+ & black probe to V-, If the -- shows up then polarity is wrong.
Great thanks for that I wasn’t sure if I had meter set right. Now on the discharge iec plug I believe the + was connected to the - from what old battery was connected. Check image I think it’s same then

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Who ever soldered it that way certainly was very inept at even basic electronic knowledge.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Who ever soldered it that way certainly was very inept at even basic electronic knowledge.

It was obviously the person who this, Well I'm not gonna say the word But it starts with an A and 2nd word is Hole who done me down on moped, where he got it off. they couldn't have checked the controller. Like I was told obviously cow boys. But where can you see solder in that image Nealh

Yes, you are right, the IEC socket is wired positive to N and negative to L.
Great glad I took a picture of old iec plug now from old battery

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
wheeliepete so obviously the IEC kettle plug on moped the left connection facing you must be positive and the Right connection Negative so when its plugged in to battery its like from batt + to - to + and - to + to -

I think I have it right

I have made battery bit more tighter in the case and placed some thin wood around sides and bottom, also at top of battery wedged in 2 bits wood and hot glued them in too. so it dont move

Attachments

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
A quick question I need to ask say like you only do a short journey like maybe just 3 mile round trip do you need to keep putting battery on charge

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A quick question I need to ask say like you only do a short journey like maybe just 3 mile round trip do you need to keep putting battery on charge
I'd put the battery on charge when it got down to about 1/2 full.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I'd put the battery on charge when it got down to about 1/2 full.
So you wont bother charging battery until its half way used then, as On my electric bike I charged it everytime I used it. even if it was just a short trip, maybe that's wrong then

On another note this deans connector I have ordered from ebay to join onto the deans connector on battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221063445166

it says
Deans lead male plug (Charger side) 100mm (4") Lead made from high temperature silicon 14awg
I need it for discharge side not charger side so have I ordered wrong

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So you wont bother charging battery until its half way used then, as On my electric bike I charged it everytime I used it. even if it was just a short trip, maybe that's wrong then
I dont thjink theres a right or wrong(unless informed otherwise by more experienced chargers) but I also wait till about 1/2 full or about 2 bars/30miles, but if its a longer trip or I know its going to be hilly or suspect the wind is going to be strong and I'm going to be riding into it(As cyclists we know that if you are riding into the wind on an outward journey, sure as fate the wind will reverse so you are riding into it on the return journey), I'll charge it to max no matter what its at even if at 4 bars and the range has dropped for example from 65miles to 55 miles.

Reactions: sjpt