ERider moped Help

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Patience my friend, it says within, so should be before. Don't rely on Chinese tracking info, it's often delayed.
Yes you are right, it does say within, I must really get my eyes tested again lol. . I have noticed there are thumb throttles on Aliexpress, I did fit one to my electric bike so maybe later will get one for moped, as I prefer a thumb throttle than grip one, as can make hand sore after a long trip, that's if its a easy fix. probably will have to remove front panel to trace throttle wires

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all again, while I am waiting for my Lithium battery to arrive, how do you work out the Ah on a battery.

Like the one I have ordered is 48V 30Ah 30A how was the Ah worked out

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all again, while I am waiting for my Lithium battery to arrive, how do you work out the Ah on a battery.

Like the one I have ordered is 48V 30Ah 30A how was the Ah worked out
Run the battery on a fixed load of say 10 amps and measure how many hours it runs for. Amp-hours (Ah) = amps x hours. If it goes for 3 hours, 3 x10 =30Ah. If it only goes for 2 1/2 hours, that's 2.5 x 10 = 25Ah.

In practice, the battery is made of cells, that are tested like above, then they add up the number of cells connected in parallel, so if the battery had 2.5Ah cells, it would have 12 in parallel, 10 if theyre 3.0Ah, 9 if 3.3Ah. and 6 if 5.0Ah.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Run the battery on a fixed load of say 10 amps and measure how many hours it runs for. Amp-hours (Ah) = amps x hours. If it goes for 3 hours, 3 x10 =30Ah. If it only goes for 2 1/2 hours, that's 2.5 x 10 = 25Ah.

In practice, the battery is made of cells, that are tested like above, then they add up the number of cells connected in parallel, so if the battery had 2.5Ah cells, it would have 12 in parallel, 10 if theyre 3.0Ah, 9 if 3.3Ah. and 6 if 5.0Ah.

Ok thanks for that. so more Ah the further bike will go

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Ok thanks for that. so more Ah the further bike will go
Hey billy, there's something VERY important that I don't think has been mentioned about your new battery. When it arrives, hopefully with the right sockets on it to fit your bike and charger, you MUST check they are wired up to match the same pins and the +/- are the right way round BEFORE you connect anything. If you not sure about how to do this, post here and somone can help you check.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hey billy, there's something VERY important that I don't think has been mentioned about your new battery. When it arrives, hopefully with the right sockets on it to fit your bike and charger, you MUST check they are wired up to match the same pins and the +/- are the right way round BEFORE you connect anything. If you not sure about how to do this, post here and somone can help you check.
Yes I think I know what you mean. As I have instructed the people who are supplying battery that I want 2 type 1 plugs IEC plugs fitted to both discharge and charging wires I’m not quite sure which now of those pins now is + and - So will check when battery arrives. But they should know if it’s going to the UK

I think something is wrong here. As just to be on the safe side I did order 2 of those kettle plugs just in case. But on the charger plug the + and - are different to what’s on those IEC plugs I have attached images and marked where pins are + and - it seems the charger + connects to a - on those IEC plugs. or is that right as I’m sure + has to connect to +

I just asked the place where I bought the battery to make sure they have fitted 2 IEC plugs. and this was there reply

Dear customer, we send it according to the product information you purchased. The goods are already in transit and we cannot change them. thank you for understanding!

I have not asked them to change plugs just asked them if they have fitted those plugs so I'm a bit baffled now with there reply

Hope someone here can help me on this

Attachments

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi sorry to ask this, But is anyone getting my posts, as it seems I'm not getting a reply to my last question. I need to confirm. what I have said is right or wrong. before my battery arrives.

Please accept my apologies, if its maybe because people are doing other things.

I just checked plug from old battery discharge leads red and black + and - and it seems red wire did go to N negative on the IEC plug. so dont know if its same with charge leads

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Never take notice of colours or markings. Always check with a meter to see which way round the wires or terminals are.

I've only ever once seen a red negative and black positive, so you can bet on them being the right way, but it's still not 100%, so better to check.
Blue and brown in chargers often has the blue as positive. Always check charger wires.

As I said earlier, your supplier won't know which way round to put the wires. I guess you didn't tell them, so it's 50/50 whether they get it right.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Never take notice of colours or markings. Always check with a meter to see which way round the wires or terminals are.

I've only ever once seen a red negative and black positive, so you can bet on them being the right way, but it's still not 100%, so better to check.
Blue and brown in chargers often has the blue as positive. Always check charger wires.

As I said earlier, your supplier won't know which way round to put the wires. I guess you didn't tell them, so it's 50/50 whether they get it right.
Firstly how do you check with a multi meter to see which way round the wires or terminals are. like where do you place dial on meter. and what should meter say for Positive and Negative.

I did tell battery supplier that I wanted 2 IEC plugs on charge and discharge wires. and all they said back was this below

Dear customer, we send it according to the product information you purchased. The goods are already in transit and we cannot change them. thank you for understanding!
I have not mentioned them changing anything was just asking if they fitted 2 IEC plugs it seems there is a language problem with them

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Set your meter to measure battery volts and put it on the two wires. It will show the same number whatever way round the probes are, but one way there will be a minus sign in front of the number. When the red probe is on the positive and the black on the negative, there will be no minus sign. If you have detatchable probes, make sure that they're plugged into the meter the right way round with red to red and black to black.

It's going to be 50/50 which way round they put the wires, so make sure you check them before connecting, otherwise there'll be a big bang as the controller blows, and lots of stinky smoke.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Set your meter to measure battery volts and put it on the two wires. It will show the same number whatever way round the probes are, but one way there will be a minus sign in front of the number. When the red probe is on the positive and the black on the negative, there will be no minus sign. If you have detatchable probes, make sure that they're plugged into the meter the right way round with red to red and black to black.

It's going to be 50/50 which way round they put the wires, so make sure you check them before connecting, otherwise there'll be a big bang as the controller blows, and lots of stinky smoke.

Hi I cant thank you enough, I have learnt so much from you all here. Oh and don't worry I wont be connecting up battery until I have checked here 1st. it seems on that web site where I bought battery they now have changed the tracking number and it looks as if they sending via DPD delivery so maybe its a faster way, I only ordered battery on 27th last month, so not expecting it to arrive soon.

t's going to be 50/50 which way round they put the wires, so make sure you check them before connecting, otherwise there'll be a big bang as the controller blows, and lots of stinky smoke.
Oh don't worry I'm not letting that happen, not spending £176 on new battery to watch controller blow plus another £350 I paid for moped. had no joy from seller anyway. waste of time keep going to his home.

So am I right the red wire from battery the positive one connects to the negative pin of the plug on battery case as then once you plug in charger the pin what shows positive will go to negative pin

Attachments

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi I cant thank you enough, I have learnt so much from you all here. Oh and don't worry I wont be connecting up battery until I have checked here 1st. it seems on that web site where I bought battery they now have changed the tracking number and it looks as if they sending via DPD delivery so maybe its a faster way, I only ordered battery on 27th last month, so not expecting it to arrive soon.

Oh don't worry I'm not letting that happen, not spending £176 on new battery to watch controller blow plus another £350 I paid for moped. had no joy from seller anyway. waste of time keep going to his home.

So am I right the red wire from battery the positive one connects to the negative pin of the plug on battery case as then once you plug in charger the pin what shows positive will go to negative pin
The markings on the connector follow international standards for wiring of mains equipment. The international standards show which pin to mark positive and order that the positive wire must be fixed to that terminal. That's so that whenever uou buy a TV, computer or anything like that, you can just plug it in without having to get a meter out and check it before connecting.

When some amateur solders his own device to one of those connectors, there's a fair chance that he's too ignorant to even see the markings and probably has no idea about international standards, not that he'd care anyway if he's also soldering the mating connector. He only needs to make sue that they're the same way round, because he knows nobody is going to try to power a TV from his ebike.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The markings on the connector follow international standards for wiring of mains equipment. The international standards show which pin to mark positive and order that the positive wire must be fixed to that terminal. That's so that whenever uou buy a TV, computer or anything like that, you can just plug it in without having to get a meter out and check it before connecting.

When some amateur solders his own device to one of those connectors, there's a fair chance that he's too ignorant to even see the markings and probably has no idea about international standards, not that he'd care anyway if he's also soldering the mating connector. He only needs to make sue that they're the same way round, because he knows nobody is going to try to power a TV from his ebike.
Ok I am with you now. so on a charger or power leads etc. they should be wired up to International standards. its the equipment to make sure its wired up right. for example on this new battery when it arrives. I will of course check here 1st before connecting it to mains or moped

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
While I am waiting for my new battery to arrive for this moped. Is there anyway the old battery can be used for something. What I don’t know. Obviously I won’t use it on the moped and also of course I would need to fit a 3 pin IEC plug to the charging wires so it can be charged up. But can’t think what it could be used for. Would anyone here have any ideas. Any help will be most appreciated

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can make a suggestion but the use would be lost on you I suspect but here goes.

My 36v battery which I no longer use now is used as a PSU to power my honey extractor now I have converted (it) my manual crank handle winding to a DC stepper motor control.
I also use old lion batteries for other beekeeping uses all 12v, a diy Beevac to delicately extract swarms from tricky places, 12v vaping pans to administer organics acid powders to vape treat my bees against parasites.

Something that uses low current draw, solar lights in a shed or a shed light source ?
Most likely it may be best to recycle it at the local refuse centre.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I can make a suggestion but the use would be lost on you I suspect but here goes.

My 36v battery which I no longer use now is used as a PSU to power my honey extractor now I have converted it my manual crank handle winding to a DC stepper motor control.
I also use old lion batteries for other beekeeping uses all 12v, a diy Beevac to delicately extract swarms from tricky places, 12v vaping pans to administer organics acid powders to vape treat my bees against parasites.

Something that uses low current draw, solar lights in a shed or a shed light source ?
Most likely it may be best to recycle it at the local refuse centre.
HI Nealh thank you for your reply most appreciated, Yes I expect that's where I will take old battery to the local refuse centre, As I cant think of any use for it. I'm hoping once this new battery arrives for moped and all is fine, I will sell the electric bike. at least will help towards battery I have paid £176 for. I did steal from that sellers door his RING video doorbell, as it just lifted off in my hand actually by accident. so he hadn't fixed that on right, at least I got something off him for selling me a dud bike. its worth about £89 and you can buy a backing plate for just £2 But like my brother said, "He has enough money from you to buy a new one anyway" true. I suppose, but it made me feel better, he don't have my address, only mobile, and he isn't ringing me anyway.

Btw on another subject, I looked on Aliexpress the other day for price of my electric bike battery I had purchased in 2016, 24V 16aH it said £171. so I guess this moped battery 48V 30aH for £176 is cheap as that was 5 years now I bought battery for electric bike

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all,

I seem to have a problem now with the connecters for my moped, I am still waiting for my new battery to arrive. and I have asked them to fit a IEC kettle type plug to both the charge and discharge wires. which as you can see in the snapshot below called 1 it says 1.p.type but I believe that is a double male sockets. but on the battery case I have also fitted 2 x IEC plugs and those are also double male pins shown on image 2. so I think what I should have bought is male to female IEC plugs am I right or wrong, as how am I suppose to plug those in from battery to those pins in image 2. as also charger plug is female so it has to plug into male pins but I think other ends have to be female

I think on the battery case I would need 2 of these IEC plugs called C13 Chassis Socket in image 3 below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253042043173?var=552108029673

but will the opp ends be male for charger female IEC plug to fit in as if so I will order 2 today

Attachments

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You don't need those 1.p's on your case because they will come fitted to your new battery, simply bolt them in place. Your charger and bike (controller) leads will then plug into them.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You don't need those 1.p's on your case because they will come fitted to your new battery, simply bolt them in place. Your charger and bike (controller) leads will then plug into them.
Hi what a fool I have been must be my age, LOL. yes you are right I just got a bit confused, but now I can see what you mean. just fit the 2 plugs into the battery case slots. as both are Male pins and obviously charger plug is female. I feel such an idiot now LOL. Are well we all make mistakes as the hedgehog said to the wire brush ha ha ha :D:D:D thanks wheeliepete its most appreciated

I just realised what you said. how do you mean bike controller its only the same socket on moped whats on charger
Your charger and bike (controller) leads will then plug into them.
Oh I am with you now as plug what go into the discharge plug is same as charger on moped a female

Last edited: