Failed on my first big hill

Mar 9, 2016
The wisper is advertised as a real alternative to Bosch mid drive, well I,mm sorry but it simply is not. There is no way a hub motor can compete with a cd unit on limited current on any type of steep climb.
I tried about 6 different ebikes before settling on a yam cd drive, which I felt was best hill climber with Bosch a close second . The only hub drive I tried was fine on moderate climbs but well down on other two mentioned on anything challenging. Seems to me there is a lot of BS pedalled, suggesting its a fitness problem or something else.. In reality its simple. Hub drives cant compete on hills with crank drives on 250w ( or thereabouts)
Buyers spending the cash they do on ebikes should not have to discover this for themselves, especially post purchase.
If you want to climb hills buy a mtb style mid drive, I think yam best but that could be a personal thing.
There is no way I,d describe myself as fit. 58 years old, replacement knee, 105 kg..
No idea of gradient I,ve climbed but had height gain of 3500ft , over 2 hrs using 98% of battery. Is there a hub drive built could compete with that on 400wh battery. I do not think so. Forum should be informing all of this.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
a woosh Big Bear will match the Yam in hill climbing.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The wisper is advertised as a real alternative to Bosch mid drive, well I,mm sorry but it simply is not. There is no way a hub motor can compete with a cd unit on limited current on any type of steep climb.
I tried about 6 different ebikes before settling on a yam cd drive, which I felt was best hill climber with Bosch a close second . The only hub drive I tried was fine on moderate climbs but well down on other two mentioned on anything challenging. Seems to me there is a lot of BS pedalled, suggesting its a fitness problem or something else.. In reality its simple. Hub drives cant compete on hills with crank drives on 250w ( or thereabouts)
Buyers spending the cash they do on ebikes should not have to discover this for themselves, especially post purchase.
If you want to climb hills buy a mtb style mid drive, I think yam best but that could be a personal thing.
There is no way I,d describe myself as fit. 58 years old, replacement knee, 105 kg..
No idea of gradient I,ve climbed but had height gain of 3500ft , over 2 hrs using 98% of battery. Is there a hub drive built could compete with that on 400wh battery. I do not think so. Forum should be informing all of this.

That's crap Flud!

My Panasonic hub drive KTM easily out climbed my Bosch Performance line powered KTM, and I'd happily place a bet with you, that it would p**s all over your Yamaha powered bike as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wicky

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you prob a lot fitter than he is tho edd, flud should try a 4000w hub motor :)

Mar 9, 2016
That's crap Flud!

My Panasonic hub drive KTM easily out climbed my Bosch Performance line powered KTM, and I'd happily place a bet with you, that it would p**s all over your Yamaha powered bike as well.

On a 400wh battery any time you like..
And my yam easily out climbs mates Bosch and he,s fitter than me..(but that's not saying much)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
On a 400wh battery any tiime you like..

The nearest is 412wh, but if that is close enough for you, and I can get hold of a bike, I'd happily place a big wager on me beating you. Winner gets to keep the other persons bike.

At those kind of stakes, we can run it over three sections. I'm choosing one, you choose one, and the forum members choose one.

This is mine. https://www.strava.com/segments/610650

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon
Mar 9, 2016
The nearest is 412wh, but if that is close enough for you, and I can get hold of the bike, I'd happily place a big wager on me beating you. Winner gets to keep the other persons bike?

At those kind of stakes, we can run it over three sections. I'm choosing one, you choose one, and te forum members choose one.

This is mine. https://www.strava.com/segments/610650

We talking on or off road ?
I,ll pick venue.
Because a height climb of 136 m is feck all.
That's a 4 minute race for fecks sake.
Nope race is height gain 3000ft minimum and over 2 hrs plus. Your hub motor to compete will have to draw double or treble current mine does, it cant for 2 hrs.

You,ll either have to come up to North Yorkshire or go down to Pyrenees to get some real hills.( and bring your boxing gloves)

Try climbing up Ben Nevis on your hub drive see how high up you get with 412 wh.!!!

The race is we start at bottom of Pico Neulous.( its 4000ft) Bikes are put in max help. We stop when battery is flat..Mine has got me to top.!!! Any time you like. We then put boxing gloves on to settle it over keeping bikes.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: paul20v
C

Cyclezee

both bikes that failed to get up that big hill were TS.
The OP would have flatten that big hill on an Ezee.
Throttles are tolerated on new bikes until 1/1/2018.
Is tolerated the same as legal?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you think a ebike could climb coopers hill, not far from me so gunna give it a go this year:)

Mar 9, 2016
What Eddie doesn't understand is its not a race. Its an Enduro. Can he get up Ben Nevis on hub drive with 412wh battery ..???
We aren't talking about racing, we are talking about a bloke going out for afternoon and either he or bike hasn't got enough left to climb a steep hill. I know even after 2 hours hard climbing my yam cd will still get me up any hill. CD is way way more efficient.
Suggesting the wisper is an alternative to Bosch mid drive is a gross exaggeration, especially when we take efficiency , hill climbing and endurance into account.
There is a mtb centre near me in Pyrenees. They have been hiring out ebikes for 3 years. Guess which ones ??? Haibikes ( Bosch and Yam) and Thron pros ( with impulse) All CD...not a hub in sight.

Last edited: