Final mile eBike solution

Which final mile ebike solution would you use if travelling partially by another mode of transport?

• Folding ebike stored in luggage area of car

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Full size ebike stored on external rack of car

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Choose not to ride an ebike

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Own ebike stored at parking location

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • eBike hire scheme at parking location

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other; please detail below...

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
The problem that I see is that you will have to leave an expensive battery in a public place for 6 hours or so.
My bike takes a lot less than that to charge and sometimes you don't need a full charge just a little boost to get you where you need to go and back. There can easily be compartments in the box to lock your battery up with a code or something for security

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
Other than short term use e-bike hire schemes, I don't think any public charge points are necessary for pedelecs. Todays latest batteries can easily give three to four hours riding (40 to 60 miles) on legal pedelecs and few want to ride any further that that.
I often ride further than that but If I want to ride full out on full power I get maybe 25 miles with a hard ride. Its not enough for me I need 60 miles full power Minimum. That's just a morning and evening ride to get me to and from then I ride on location. At the moment I ask where I fish and camp for a charge or have a pub visit but it would be nice not to have to ask and that's why I'm getting a portable generator because when my wife's bike is brought and converted Ill need more power

Last edited:

Auxtail

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2017
Milton Keynes
I agree with your analysis of this trend. I am also very interested in this phenomena and have been lobbying the local councils and transport authorities in the UK to add facilities. My local council have a plan to add 3 hubs. Hopefully due to me. The hubs should have car clubs, public transport and cycle routes to city centre.
My company has a fast external rack to aid transitions. Hopefully this might assist in Ebike Park n Pedal/Bike in the future.
I would be interested in understanding your research further?

JimmyMac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 11, 2018
Coventry
I agree with your analysis of this trend. I am also very interested in this phenomena and have been lobbying the local councils and transport authorities in the UK to add facilities. My local council have a plan to add 3 hubs. Hopefully due to me. The hubs should have car clubs, public transport and cycle routes to city centre.
My company has a fast external rack to aid transitions. Hopefully this might assist in Ebike Park n Pedal/Bike in the future.
I would be interested in understanding your research further?
Good for you, nice work!

MK seems to be very open to new mobility ideas, they are at the forefront of autonomy testing and BEV charging.

Excuse my ignorance, what is a fast external rack? I assume it is one of those multi bike parks with accessible high level racking.

My research is in conjunction with automotive groups and trend analysis, this research will direct other people who might want to create infrastructure or car/bike integration.

Simply, it is looking likely that (for the next ten years at least) a commuter will want to hold on to their internal combustion power car even after the day they cannot get to their office any more due to low emission zones (LEZ).

The data suggests that the commuter is increasingly likely to put a bike on/in their car and finish their journey on that. A transport authority (e.g. MK Highways) might use this to provide better out of town services, including bike rental schemes. A vehicle accessories provider (e.g. Thule) might instead choose to use this data to develop a bike battery charging dock for a passenger car.

Currently only london has a LEZ which restricts passenger cars but the number of cities is likely to increase so I am trying to theorise what people might be prepared to do if these were to be introduced at their place of work. All other international cities that have a LEZ also have a good public transit network so it is currently very hard to work out ebike usage.

J

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I often ride further than that but If I want to ride full out on full power I get maybe 25 miles with a hard ride. Its not enough for me I need 60 miles full power Minimum. That's just a morning and evening ride to get me to and from then I ride on location. At the moment I ask where I fish and camp for a charge or have a pub visit but it would be nice not to have to ask and that's why I'm getting a portable generator because when my wife's bike is brought and converted Ill need more power
Your's isn't a common case though, most e-bikers don't ride anything like such distances.

Way back in 2011 two of our members started to set up a new scheme called Cyclecharge, registered the company and with the help and donations from members started to set up charge points based on various commercial premises like cafe's, pubs etc making available 13 amp sockets for e-bikers own chargers. Each had a window sticker or the like advertising the facility and they would benefit from added custom.

With low demand it never really succeeded and four years later in 2015 the company was wound up and website closed.

There's a vast number of Cyclecharge links in this site's Search facility, here's three examples from start to finish:

Link one

Link two

Link three

Last edited: