forum is collapsing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm new to the Forum but found it quite informative and it helped me choose my wife's new bike.
It's pretty much the only game in town for anyone wanting customer feedback on complete ebikes.

Endless Sphere is more about kits, and the other mainstream cycling forums I've seen still have a hostile and patronising attitude to ebikers.

Ebiking is a tiny minority part of a minority interest, but Pedelecs' unique position should ensure its survival.

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Although that does sound logical, the loss of a single poster with exceptional input and knowledge to a forum can make a huge difference to the overall content and interest.

I don't know whether it's an intentional absence on his part or for unrelated reasons, but it has really diminished the number of interesting posts on here.

I find myself skimming through the "recent activity" page very quickly now, then popping over to ES.
Erm what is "ES"?

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I think this might be a good time to say how nice I think this forum is. Although there are disagreements sometimes, it's a natural thing that all the people are not going to agree all the time. As for trade members, I bet that most of them are in the trade in the first place because they love ebikes. Which is the same reason that brings us all to the forum and the fact that they are here shows their enthusiasm for the subject (as well as their business acumen).

All in all this forum is populated with nice folk who have mature attitudes, often giving large amounts of time to write very helpful advice to those in need. In contrast to the last forum that I spent 5 years of my time on which was frequented by young motorcyclists. It did have some real nice chaps on it, and I always got the help I needed if I asked a mechanical question, but the general behavior was not half as civilised as here. Most newbies were given a baptism of fire that involved having to undergo some kind of verbal gang initiation type flaming designed to destroy their ego. If they survived this then they would one day go on to victimise the next generation of new lads. I managed to get past their customary greeting of 'show us your tits' and earnt their respect, although not without having to complain to the mods about rudeness because I owned a 4 stroke which they somehow equated to a kind of extreme sex act and another insult which I only managed to counter by drawing a cartoon showing just how sad the guy in question was. In the 5 years I spent there I never dared show them my face once and they only saw photos of me like the one below...

So you guys are a bunch of kittens by comparison and I've come to love this place since I discovered it in January. Group hug! :D

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
[quote="TinKitten, post: 241330, member: 11377" I managed to get past their customary greeting of 'show us your tits' [/quote]

What a chivalrous bunch of gents, although funny - in a very juvenile sort of way which doesn't amuse me one bit, oh no, definitely not.

I can't help but be reminded of a murder case a few years ago in which I was professionally involved.

It was a wedding reception on a large council estate in the North East.

These gatherings can get a bit lively, and one male guest said to a female guest: "Get your tits out for the lads."

She obliged.

Her partner was not amused, there was an argument between him and her which culminated with him doing her in.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
[quote="TinKitten, post: 241330, member: 11377"
I can't help but be reminded of a murder case a few years ago in which I was professionally involved.
I thought for one moment then Rob, you may have been a hit man.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I thought for one moment then Rob, you may have been a hit man.
Nothing so sinister.

The lives of two families were, if not ruined, badly effected by what started as no more than an instance of 'beer in, brains out'.

Simple moral of the tale is have a good time by all means, but know your limits.

Back on topic, I agree with Tin Kitten about the general atmosphere of this forum.

It's more friendly and less prone to nastiness than a couple of motoring forums I used to post on.

Reactions: flecc and TinKitten

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm a tinkerer so do enjoy the self build threads esp d8evh's involvement. Like wise I'm also enjoying EPJ's and TK's adventures on their KTM's', although I colud never see my self paying that sum of money for one. As with all topics on forums some you like some you don't and as with this forum I just choose the ones I want to read and follow. There is a good sense of community here esp when I think of the thread about SRS's stolen bike and involved some very good and at times amusing response.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When this forum started in 2006 the few of us in at the outset were determined that it would be a courteous one, not prone to the very poor behaviour so common elsewhere on the internet. That intent was shared by Russell Scott who founded the site, and with his gentle touch guidance and administration I think we've largely succeeded.

Obviously it's gratifying to read of Tinkitten's favourable impressions, underlining once again that we are an example that many others could well emulate.

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
This remains a friendly informative forum. I'm not a regular I dip in and out when I want to find the answer to question or to see what's new. The comments and views posted on this thread reflect the health of the forum and the differing views that help us all make decisons on purchases or fix our problems. I take trade posts with pinch of salt and accept them for what they are. Having said that many of the traders often give very honest views of the their own products pros and cons.

Keep it up everyone.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Since finding this forum I have admired D8veh help and advise given to any one on this site.
As an engineer like Dave we work on fact, information gathered and experience.
We all know that pedelec is the best thing since sliced bread, so stop infighting, as we are all in the same game too enjoy.
Let the salespersons :rolleyes: sell there wonder items and the engineers to keep them going for ever and a day;)

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I see that d8veh's only post on this thread has now received 25 "likes".

Is that a record ?

It would seem to indicate that at least 25 forum users find his wealth of "technical" input is not discouraging them from following the forum.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I think this might be a good time to say how nice I think this forum is. Although there are disagreements sometimes, it's a natural thing that all the people are not going to agree all the time. As for trade members, I bet that most of them are in the trade in the first place because they love ebikes. Which is the same reason that brings us all to the forum and the fact that they are here shows their enthusiasm for the subject (as well as their business acumen).

All in all this forum is populated with nice folk who have mature attitudes, often giving large amounts of time to write very helpful advice to those in need. In contrast to the last forum that I spent 5 years of my time on which was frequented by young motorcyclists. It did have some real nice chaps on it, and I always got the help I needed if I asked a mechanical question, but the general behavior was not half as civilised as here. Most newbies were given a baptism of fire that involved having to undergo some kind of verbal gang initiation type flaming designed to destroy their ego. If they survived this then they would one day go on to victimise the next generation of new lads. I managed to get past their customary greeting of 'show us your tits' and earnt their respect, although not without having to complain to the mods about rudeness because I owned a 4 stroke which they somehow equated to a kind of extreme sex act and another insult which I only managed to counter by drawing a cartoon showing just how sad the guy in question was. In the 5 years I spent there I never dared show them my face once and they only saw photos of me like the one below...

So you guys are a bunch of kittens by comparison and I've come to love this place since I discovered it in January. Group hug! :D
Many of us are so old we don't have the time left to indulge in hissy fits!
We do have time for real ale and chocolate biscuits ... if we can remember where we left them ... Nurse!
Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see that d8veh's only post on this thread has now received 25 "likes".

Is that a record ?

It would seem to indicate that at least 25 forum users find his wealth of "technical" input is not discouraging them from following the forum.
Yes, about nine ot ten was tops previously.

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Well I really appreciate the forum tone, which is a friendly, helpful one, and Dave's contribution is outstanding.