forum is collapsing

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
In the absence of any other e-bike forum I don't suppose we can do much about it

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I didn't know he'd gone :confused: Was it something I said ;)

We will just have to get by the best we can:(

Reactions: tillson

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
There's still plenty of us here. I think the many sub categories on this forum can make it appear less active than it actually is

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
One poster doesn't make - or break - the forum.
Although that does sound logical, the loss of a single poster with exceptional input and knowledge to a forum can make a huge difference to the overall content and interest.

I don't know whether it's an intentional absence on his part or for unrelated reasons, but it has really diminished the number of interesting posts on here.

I find myself skimming through the "recent activity" page very quickly now, then popping over to ES.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Although that does sound logical, the loss of a single poster with exceptional input and knowledge to a forum can make a huge difference to the overall content and interest.

I don't know whether it's an intentional absence on his part or for unrelated reasons, but it has really diminished the number of interesting posts on here.

I find myself skimming through the "recent activity" page very quickly now, then pop over to ES.
Fair enough, but we are all different.

I have limited interest in kits/tinkering, so didn't read very many of d8's posts.

His knowledge will be a loss to the kit side of things, but there are a few others on here who also know their onions.

Reactions: tillson
it should also be said, that the vast majority of eBikes that have sold this year in the UK, and will sell over the next few years are bikes that are purchased complete, by people who aren't interested in how they actually work.

We'd suggest based on conversations with our dealers, and their feedback from customers that this forum will actually grow more and be more relevant the growing number of eBike riders if its less technical.

Which is why we've now put some more money into support Pedelecs and started advertising with them this month.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
it should also be said, that the vast majority of eBikes that have sold this year in the UK, and will sell over the next few years are bikes that are purchased complete, by people who aren't interested in how they actually work.

We'd suggest based on conversations with our dealers, and their feedback from customers that this forum will actually grow more and be more relevant the growing number of eBike riders if its less technical.

Which is why we've now put some more money into support Pedelecs and started advertising with them this month.
Or put another way: "Now that clever dick who told them how to do everything on the cheap has gone, we can get stuck in and flog some KTMs."

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
.....We'd suggest based on conversations with our dealers, and their feedback from customers that this forum will actually grow more and be more relevant the growing number of eBike riders if its less technical......
I would have thought that an eBike forum could have been a focus of interest for all user's interest, whether technical or non-technical, ready built or DIY.

If Pedelecs wants to move away from technical discussions and people helping each other with self-builds and understanding the rapidly evolving technology, it's the forums loss IMHO.

Thank goodness for ES.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I would have thought that an eBike forum could have been a focus of interest for all user's interest, whether technical or non-technical, ready built or DIY.

If Pedelecs wants to move away from technical discussions and people helping each other with self-builds and understanding the rapidly evolving technology, it's the forums loss IMHO.

Thank goodness for ES.
There is room for all types of ebike users on Pedelecs.

But if self-builders gravitate elsewhere, that's up to them.

KTM are only here for profit, if they are upping their advertising spend on here, it shows there's life in the old place yet.

C

Cyclezee

Regarding D8veh, he is still viewing the forum and it is not the first time he has gone AWOL.

My guess he is taking a break... recharging batteries, maybe in China searching for the latest thing or cruising the Med in Kudos Dave's ocean linero_O

Frankly, I find it amazing that someone has the stamina to post so much on the forum.

Mind you, D8veh has long way to go to catch up with the mighty Flecc's tally;)

Reactions: Mrke and RobF

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Does anyone know D8veh personally to see if he's alright? And if he is, find out why he's absent and if there's anything can be done to help him get back? Whether or not people are interested in kits, his helpful advice added positivity to the forum which is a precious addition when things go quiet and a certain proportion of posts are people niggling at each other.

Edit: My post crossed with the one above. Hopefully he's okay then and can see his input is valued and missed.

Reactions: rippedupno1

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012

KTM are only here for profit, if they are upping their advertising spend on here, it shows there's life in the old place yet.
I wouldn't gravitate elsewhere from choice Rob, I'd got the impression from the post I'd quoted that techies were no longer wanted on here as it was queering the pitch for forum growth.....

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Does anyone know D8veh personally to see if he's alright? And if he is, find out why he's absent and if there's anything can be done to help him get back? Whether or not people are interested in kits, his helpful advice added positivity to the forum which is a precious addition when things go quiet and a certain proportion of posts are people niggling at each other.
He's active right up to this morning on ES, (thank goodness)....

C

Cyclezee

Regarding the trade and non trade posters, of course the trade are on here to sell bikes, that's no secret, but traders can also offer helpful advice other than buy my latest whizz bang model which is the dogs danglies.

I have been on both sides of the fence and in time will probably hop back over again;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I I'd got the impression from the post I'd quoted that techies were no longer wanted on here as it was queering the pitch for forum growth.....
Seems unlikely to me, but that's a question only the management can answer.

Or put another way: "Now that clever dick who told them how to do everything on the cheap has gone, we can get stuck in and flog some KTMs."
Lol... I don't anyone would think that people like Dave are KTM customers, they aren't really. Engineers who like to tinker and buy parts from China aren't the sort of people who'll go out and shell out on a ready built bike from our or indeed any brand.

If people want to discuss self builds and all the technical stuff, we're obviously not suggesting they shouldn't, or indeed, we're not saying it doesn't have a place on here.

All I'm feeding back, is that most eBike riders aren't interested in this side of things.

Not true at all. We're 100% not here for profit. We're here to learn, educate and support. If us being on here, means some people are aware of the brand and might consider a bike based on the fact we're one of the few brands putting our head above the wall, thats cool - but its not the reason and certainly not the ONLY reason where here.

I've learnt a lot since signing up 2 years ago, and thats the reason we signed up, to learn about a market, we were new to back then.

But I can see why some might be cynical, and I'll have to live with that.