Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
No, this is a measure the DfT are allowing for mainland UK pedelecs that meet the necessary standards, without that additional bureaucracy.

Such a throttle equipped bike cannot be legally taken into the mainland EU or Northern Ireland as a pedelec.
Just as well I have added a proper EU legal MTB to my collection then since I am off to mainland Europe with it in July!!

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think most 36v 250w motors would struggle to pull people up any steep hills on throttle alone.
Depends on the motor, controller amperage and battery capability get them right and no problems.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
I've got my 250w 36v bafang set to 20 amps but it would only pull me up a hill slowly in a low gear.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've got my 250w 36v bafang set to 20 amps but it would only pull me up a hill slowly in a low gear.
Is that in PAS 5 ?
Also motor winding will dictate how well it will pull.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
yes PAS 5, it will pull me up a hill in a low gear but I wouldn't risk in a high gear, if it did work I'd imagine the motor would get hot, I never really go round on throttle only anyway. It averages 25mph on the flat with relative ease, without peddling23-24mph on the flat.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A Xiongda 2-speed hub motor is a pretty handy tool for winching you up a steep hill, so is a Bafang BPM at 48v and 25 amps. I'd agree that your average hub-motor at 36v and 15 amps has got no chance.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Also I only meant steep hills, no problem with steady hills. Was funny the other day though, a guy was struggling up a steep hill and I peddled pretty hard and shot past him! my bike has a bottle battery so it doesn't really look like an electric bike.

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
Well done to Wisper for keeping on top of the regulatory changes.

But it's worth pointing out that throttles - for many users - are not the benefit they think they are going to be.

Legal ebikes are not powerful enough to work very well on a throttle, and it's wearing - and deathly boring - sitting on a bike holding one open.

Pedalling helps control and balance and is not a hardship for most riders.
Assuming that the description of 'full throttle' doesn't mean having it open full time and not pedalling, then I know of one case where having the throttle is very important. In my wife's case, she struggles to apply enough pressure from a standing start to get the bike moving. This can be critical at places like traffic lights, busy junctions and starting up a hill. Once the throttle has given her the starting momentum she's then able to keep the bike going with pedal power. So for that reason, she's been a big advocate of throttles and was disappointed when the legislation made it a problem.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
As far as I know, you have always been able to use the throttle to start (up to a low speed like 5kph or something). The legislation changed the full throttles in Jan 2016 which they've just recently brought in a process to allow them to be introduced back in a controlled way. Although from reading these forums, it seems like many people still just used them illegally anyway.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
If one uses a pre-2016 bike having provision for wide open throttle and permissable prior to the 2016 ‘grandfather’ clause how could that use be classed as illegal.......IT CAN’T.

Jim

• Agree
Reactions: TheBag

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
If one uses a pre-2016 bike having provision for wide open throttle and permissable prior to the 2016 ‘grandfather’ clause how could that use be classed as illegal.......IT CAN’T.

Jim
You're correct, and that is completely not what I was referring to. I have seen many posts where people have bought post 2016 bikes and opened the throttle or even upgraded to a more powerful motor.

If you have a pre 2016 ebike with a full throttle, it remained legal under a form of grandfathering as you suggest. The problem is that it is hard to determine the manufacture date and the police rarely investigate this anyway so many people just assume they can get away with claiming that their bike was made pre-2016. This is particularly true for ebike conversions.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I take your point Bag, maybe my e-bike a Batribike Quartz is unique as it came to me complete with paperwork giving its date of manufacture as 2011..... It may well be that some manufacturers / retailers were reluctant to supply such details although I can’t think why....and which would supply the necessary ‘loophole’ available to ‘distort the truth’ or plainly to tell LIES!

For one to do that one needs a bloody good memory or to be used to deception, gladly I don’t match either case, life is complicated enough.

Jim

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBag

Anita

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2018
Gloucestershire
No-one has mentioned here how critical it can be for some e-bike riders to use a full throttle briefly when making a hill start to safely get moving before engaging the pedal assist. I live in an area where I encounter many traffic lights and junctions on hills where it is imperative to get going promptly and safely. I sold my Freego bike 18 months ago and planned to replace it but have yet to find one that has more than a speed restricted walking throttle. A change in the law would be very welcome. I went to the cycle show and tried out many different makes of e-bike with both hub and crank motors and without a throttle could not get started once stopped mid-way up the ramp.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
I am assuming that all of the above is so you can ride an Ebike (with pedals) without using the pedals? You simply twist the throttle and away you go? Bikes like this will probably mimic normal EBikes in terms of cost (£1000 and upwards.
People like this it would seem prefer NOT to use the pedals otherwise they would make do with nornmal EBikes?
Therefore what is the difference between one of these EBikes and a normal moped which would easily cost much less 2nd hand? Surely the only difference is that one is noisy and one is quiet!!!!
What a faff!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Therefore what is the difference between one of these EBikes and a normal moped which would easily cost much less 2nd hand? Surely the only difference is that one is noisy and one is quiet!!!!
What a faff!
Most seeking this option do pedal but want to be able to rest occasionally, sometimes through some disability or lack of endurance due to age. It's also handy with hub motors if one's chain breaks!

And note what one member above posted about just wanting the option:

"Ideally, I'd like the option to use the throttle without having to pedal (even if I don't really use it). "

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think no one should feel guilty about using a twist and go throttle. It does not make your bike go any faster, it just lets you use your bike the way you like.
After all, the police are not interested in you having a throttle like they would if you fit an illegal kit or derestrict your bike.
Let's remind ourselves that all the legal kits can have throttle.