G-tech bike,has anyone seen a proper test

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave, I can probably answer those question without having seen one in the flesh.
  1. With me on it not very far
  2. With me on it not very well
If you want to know so badly, why not buy one and have a 14 day trial, anyone can do that.
To be honest I can't be bothered to do that,and if I say that I only got say 12 miles out of it,there will also be shouts of lack of impartiality,it's just even the lengthy reviews on this forum seem vague about the range...
Because the Gtech has had so much advertising and so much editorial hype it's a current benchmark bike,especially in London.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi D8ve,

These are only my assumptions.

It would be much better to have an independent review from someone not connected or associated with the trade.
I'm happy to review it, and I've no axe to grind either way.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I'm happy to review it, and I've no axe to grind either way.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I would be too but your even further from the bike than me. :D
I needs someone in MK area.?

C

Cyclezee

To be honest I can't be bothered to do that,and if I say that I only got say 12 miles out of it,there will also be shouts of lack of impartiality,it's just even the lengthy reviews on this forum seem vague about the range...
Because the Gtech has had so much advertising and so much editorial hype it's a current benchmark bike,especially in London.
KudosDave
Dave, if you can't be bothered, why not buy one on behalf of an independent non trade pedelec member and ask them to review it, there are already some volunteers and it would cost you nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can see it working for me if I lived and worked in S. Sebastian but not so much here. It might have done when I was 35 years old though. But not as a car replacement or for going places in the mountains...

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello all, just dropped on this forum searching about the G-tech.

It seems no-one has ridden one and reviewed it other than the big magazines, news papers?.

I do a 6 mile round trip to work and back daily, rain/ snow/ wind or shine!. There's a medium gradient hill on the way home aprox 1 mile long.

The no chain and gears was one of the most appealing aspects for me, was thinking the low speed assist would negate the need for gears?, or is this not the case?.

I've been cycling 30 years or more now, the G-tech looks ideal for my commute but there doesn't seem to be many good words said about it which is a bit worrying!.

Take it nobody on the forum has actually bought one or ridden one.

Cheers, Keith.

Reactions: LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Keith, one of my stockists bought one and is keeping it in his shop to show people who ask, he has been asked about it many times. He says it's a good bike and well built, the Gates carbon belt is a nice touch. He has managed to achieve 15 miles in low setting.

His observation was it's a good little bike for short journeys as long as there are no hills of any substance on the rout. So it could be that it's the perfect bike for you. Maybe it's worth getting one and giving it the free two week trial.

Good luck in your search!

All the best, David

• Informative

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Keith, I did have a go on a Gtech a little while ago.
It's good for what you have in mind.
However, there are a few better bikes for the same money like the Halfords Crossfire E.

• Informative

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Thanks for the replies, I did have a quick look at the Carrera (I'm riding the Carrera Vengence at the moment).

It's the Carbon belt that's got my interest mainly, but it seems the battery is quite a small capacity on the G-tech?.

As has been said there is a 14 day trial but don't know how easy it would be to return if it's not up to the job.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, the carbon belt is very attractive. Shame the Gtech is single speed. The gearing is right for me on flat roads but you are likely to have stronger legs than me and will probably find that it's OK for you on the hill and wrong on the flat. The battery is 36V 5AH. It's fine on flat roads but a sags a fair bit on hills. I think it won't matter much to you because you are only after a light assist bike. The bit I don't like is that it's difficult to know whether you are in eco mode or sport, first, there is little difference and second, the change in the LED brightness is difficult to see. I also found the rigid fork a little too rigid for me.

• Informative
Reactions: StewC and LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh that's the thing, I'm always on biggest front chainring so it may be too low geared and no way of altering it.

Fork wise I could always put the front end of my Carrera in it if needs be..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The headset is standard part, it shouldn't take long to swap out the fork.
I like the gtech the way it is. Nice frame, Switch on and pedal. Simple and effective.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The headset is standard part, it shouldn't take long to swap out the fork.
I like the gtech the way it is. Nice frame, Switch on and pedal. Simple and effective.
Naughty trex, you are only supposed to like woosh bikes.:eek:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Why not put a kit on your present bike,you could get a better kit with a bigger battery for around half the price of the g tech.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
My current bike needs either the rear wheel rebuilding or another one fitting. I need a new chainset (2nd time round).

If I'm going to pull the trigger on new bike now's the time..

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Just ordered the G-tech eBike sport so will let you all know how I get on with it when it arrives!.
Great please ride and review. But once you have a weeks use test ride a couple of other electric bikes for contrast

• Agree