Group Buy on Tongxin Motors

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
It seems that there is a bit of a group buy on Tongxin motors on the German forum. So not to leave out the Brits, I thought it would be nice to offer the same. I'll have to contact Tongxin to get some exact prices but they should be very much the same as Daniel posted up, which was 78USD each without shipping. Would probably be cheaper to ship all motors together to 1 persons address, but can look into that some more later to get prices. I know I can ship to UK for about 10GPB per kilo, so about 20GBP per motor but might be able to get it a bit cheaper.

If you're interested just post on this thread and we can start getting a bit of a list together to get an idea of numbers. Please specify the model you require.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
I'll get some detailed specs of the available options, unit prices on the motors within a couple of days and post up some more information. If there's payment methods that would put peoples minds at ease, I'm all ears :)

Come up people, you can't give something away round here :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Paul. Sounds like a good idea.

I suspect people are a bit Tongxined out! Just look at all the previous posts and the angst surrounding that particular motor.

In principle. I might be interested in one - low rpm for hill-climbing. But even that seems less than clear if an earlier thread on Tongxin power output in relation to rpm was correct.

On the subject of payment method - credit card seems best?

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Just thought i'd bring this thread to the top again.
I'm after another motor (or more)either Tongxins, Bafang or Cute or whatever is available.
It seems by reading some postings on ES that source's from China has all but dried up or long delays causing people to cancel their orders (bmsbattery/ecitypower).
Anyone else interested? can we get a group buy idea going again?

Mel

Roger Hamlett

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 29, 2009
Hi Mel,
Yes, I'd be interested in buying a few motors, and possibly also adding some spares to an order. The problem seems to be how you get Tongxin to actually 'talk' to you?. At one point, I wanted to potentially source 9 motors, but they didn't even reply to my mails. Managed to source two through a friend in Hong-Kong, buy another two out of Freedom....

Best Wishes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem seems to be how you get Tongxin to actually 'talk' to you?. At one point, I wanted to potentially source 9 motors, but they didn't even reply to my mails.
Some while ago Diana from Tongxin stated that they wouldn't handle any more consumer inquiries, saying they all had to go through their existing UK agents.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
I'm not a consumer and the last time I bought motors it was 10,000USD worth. Tongxin don't answer emails and from what I have seen they are very unreliable motors. They can keep their motors as there are plenty of other companies that do respond and have motors that don't fall apart if you look at them the wrong way :)

Good luck with Ecity/BMSBattery. Great prices, pity they don't order the bits till they've got your money.... :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As per my previous posts the contact I linked to "billy" seems ok. I have ordered from him, as has at least one other I know of on this forum.

Dongguan Desheng Industrial Development Co

Works out at approx £130 each (if you buy two) for a full kit incl post packing etc

Postage is what hikes the price, so better value to buy two.

PS I should add there is a risk in non delivery, wrong parts and of course I suspect DOA/breakdowns would be hard/expensive to return etc

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
PS I should add there is a risk in non delivery, wrong parts and of course I suspect DOA/breakdowns would be hard/expensive to return etc
Hi Jerry,
from my experience, you can trust billy from Dongsheng. I order a lot from him as i live in Germany and i ever receive my order and if you send him the photo from the Motor you want he send you the same one;-)

With Diana or Vivien from Tongxin, it is senseless to comunicate with them because they have no intrest in small order and small order is under 100pieces. Diana and Vivien is the worth case in Communication.

regards
frank

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
There you go then. As Frank says if you send a picture, unlike myself, you won't receive the wrong motor :eek:

I know of at least two people including myself that have had successful transactions with Billy and it seems a few more here have as well.

My point was not to knock Billy. I was just saying there is a risk and if the motors are delivered faulty or fail, it would cost too much to make it worth while returning them.

If your having problems sourcing a Tongxin and need one, then Billy might be your best option though.

PS Frank I did not realise your were the same Frank from Germany lol. I understand one of ther reasons that you stopped stocking these was because of faults and returns ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes Ananda motors and quite good prices.

As you say they are an alternative to Tongxin. They have nylon gears so are not as quiet and they don't do an 80mm wide one for Brompton like forks.

They seem to be gaining a reasonable reputation though.

Also some other nice priced goodies on that page too :p

PS maybe that second motor shown is slimmer ? Also worth noting they are all 24v systems as well. I thought those battery prices looked too good to be true for 36v :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
The first three listed seem to have a friction planetary reduction.... ;)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well observed I didn't notice that. I have seen one or two opened up on another forum and they had nylon gears in them so I assumed, wrongly it seems, that all their motors were like that :eek:

Regards

Jerry

TheWarden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2010
As per my previous posts the contact I linked to "billy" seems ok. I have ordered from him, as has at least one other I know of on this forum.

Dongguan Desheng Industrial Development Co

Works out at approx £130 each (if you buy two) for a full kit incl post packing etc
I'd be interested in buying a Tongxin kit (or two) to play with. When you say that you paid around £130 for a full kit do you mean the motor+controller+battery? How long did it take to receive the order? I assume the tongxin is the motor that they call the "DES-F13" on their electric bike page?

It seems to make sense to buy two kits from China for less than buying a kit here in the UK and have your own spares. I wanted to buy a kit here but they have been out of stock for months now (sunlova, alien).

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
With battery? Send me ten kits!

Seriously, has this group buy project gone any further as I'd like one?

Thanks, Dave

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
When you say that you paid around £130 for a full kit do you mean the motor+controller+battery? How long did it take to receive the order? I assume the tongxin is the motor that they call the "DES-F13" on their electric bike page?
Its about £130 for the kit i.e. includes controller, thumb throttle, cutout brakes (no pedelec) but to get that single kit cost, you will need to buy two i.e. about £260 which also includes import duty costs. Postage is around £100 if you buy one or two motors hence the saving for two. Should add as well if you use western union to pay there is another £25 cost approx. . Also bare in mind kits purchased here in the UK include the motor built up into a wheel rim already, so you need to factor in the DIY/parts cost for that and additional costs if you want someone to build the wheel for you. Your going to need a battery as well, plus all the connectors, switches etc as detailed in my build thread here.

Delivery was about 3-4 weeks for me and about 5-6 weeks for someone who ordered over Chinese New Year. After you pay it all goes quiet for a week or so whilst they order from Tongxin so you need to be patient.

If you email Billy and tell him exactly what you want (Tongxin, Voltage, RPM, width etc NO Roller brake fitting :eek: ) and maybe send a photo as Frank said.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited: