Gsm vs bbs01

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi just to let you know if I set the speed to 27kph it works well and power assist kicks in as it should so happy so going to leave it there
I have an inkling notion that someone goofed when they programmed the internal controller cut off speed. The code is probably missing some "if then else" clauses ;)

This post swayed my decision to forge ahead with the GSM build. I will try at 25 km/h with the external controller just to see but 27 km/h cut off is my sweet spot anyway. I am running my hub at 26 km/h cut off so that it will cut off at 25 and a bit (about 25.4 km/h) well within the 10% tolerance.

jnny6168

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2016
I really like the kit it fits well and does exactly what i want it to do I do have 11 to 34 T 8 speed cassette on back so it gives me great range of gears to use.
have not had to use bottom gear yet but haven't been doing any off roading as yet.
only one thing I wish I went for bigger battery but I am not really planning on doing more than 30 miles in a trip
so yep I would buy a GSM kit and set it to 27KPH and away you go.

Woosh have been great all the way through Customer Service first class

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Hi Trex
I charged battery up over night one off. then went done a 18.6 mile ride on worst terrain I am likely to do. It used 2 bars on battery life. Took 2 hours 10 mins to charge so working on you 5 hours 40 mins to total charge I would get 48 mile range which is great on 11 ah battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Been busy but got round to fitting the replacement GSM today as with the other one I have left a loop for water to drop off, unlike the other one all cables enter the grommet correctly this time. I hate silicone it has one use only and that's for bathroom use, I have applied a Butyl sealant as an extra moisture/water deterrent around the wiring /grommet area for about 30mm along the cabling and a small cable tie to keep said wiring together. Like dog doo Butyl sticks to any thing and remains soft and permanently sticky once an outer skin has formed.

Reactions: trex

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just an update from me as I past the 500mile mark on my gsm which is used mostly off road on the south downs which may help.

I have the limit on mine and my 20a constant battery is very happy with it. With it off it gets hot and unhappy.

To have a little unlimited fun I have a Lipo pack (5.2 or 10.4ah configurable from 4 Lipo bricks)

For reasons I do not know when I connected it yesterday to my bike I got a spark, flash and a partially fried xt60 connection.

I put my dolphin pack on to. See if connection was good. It was and off riding I went.

However , the damage xt60 made for three errors over 20 miles. Unplugging and and replugging sorted it and so I am convinced a weak connection caused these errors

1) error code 1e
2) error code 4e
3) power bar on empty but bike working

Cheers

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I get the power bar on empty but bike still working, but it only ever happens just after setting off. Switching off & back on always cures it, and it never recurs when riding.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1e Comm error and 4e batt low so a poor or dry/weak solder connection could be at fault. I have not had an empty batt bar in the settings you can change the voltage to UBE.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
nice reading of GSM faults and still no cure or advice from manufacturer,I feel GSM kit is inferior compared to Bafang kits,I wished I stayed with Bafangs,
Feel free to correct if I am wrong am I just so frustrated of my 2 units of GSM which failed miserably on second outings.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Update on my GSM: it's really impressed me today. I cycled from Skelwith Bridge over to Grasmere (Lake District) on a road that has a 25% gradient at times. It coped fantastically. The total trip was around 10 miles with lots of up and down. Battery was down to 2/5 bars by the end.

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Well I have done over 350 miles with mine since February when I bought mine. I am really pleased with it set speed to 28 kph and kicks in well now after initial problem when first had it
I have developed a dry noise when out cycling last weekend on 36 mile ride. It is coming from behind the drive cog so took kit off and took off chain ring and opened up cover behind as you could feel it was coming from there. Dry as a bone no grease in there at all and bearings are dry behind on pedal shaft have managed to get some oil through the cog holes which I assume are for lub and left it to soak in. Now much better. I would like to repack the pedal hub if possible but it uses a 4 prong socket, is this the same 20mm socket as used on Honda clutches or where can I get the tool ? I am happy to do the job my self after all if you can install this kit you should be able to do a bit of routine maintaince on it !
I got to say I love the kit and I use my bike a hell of a lot more now a days. I would not hesitate to recommend any one buying a kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good to hear of the last two posts experience with there kits though not the same I experienced and have now been refunded after returning my kit. The tool required for the peddle hub looks to be availbale form GBK in China and is used for the BBS.

krusher74

Jan 8, 2017
wales
Hi, I am a cytech qualified mechanic. and run a 26" custom hybrid as a commuter bike. I'm running shimano 2x9, 40/28 to 12/36. I would like to try out on of the 250w kits. I have 2 long steep hills on my way to and from work and regularly use 28 to 32 gear, so i can see just having a 46! front cog making the bike very sensible off power bike. Anyone changed the front chain ring or have a close up picture of the chaining fitting system, I would more expect to use a 36 or 38 if going 1by 9. 46 sounds like a 20" folding bike front chainring to me. thanks keith

****update since posting i have found these chaining adaptor options https://california-ebike.com/product-category/chainrings-adapters/

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Roadies use 52 as standard in a compact double.
46 is a bit low for me with a 26' driven rear wheel. But I manage with that as my commuter. And that's with no motor. Its peasy with assist.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi, I am a cytech qualified mechanic. and run a 26" custom hybrid as a commuter bike. I'm running shimano 2x9, 40/28 to 12/36. I would like to try out on of the 250w kits. I have 2 long steep hills on my way to and from work and regularly use 28 to 32 gear, so i can see just having a 46! front cog making the bike very sensible off power bike. Anyone changed the front chain ring or have a close up picture of the chaining fitting system, I would more expect to use a 36 or 38 if going 1by 9. 46 sounds like a 20" folding bike front chainring to me. thanks keith

****update since posting i have found these chaining adaptor options https://california-ebike.com/product-category/chainrings-adapters/
Last page in the thread in my signature below you have a photo. I am running 42/32 and 11/32 7 speed on the back. You don't have to go to the USA, my spider came from precialps in France, because it weighs as much as two feathers the postage was a normal letter stamp!

krusher74

Jan 8, 2017
wales
Roadies use 52 as standard in a compact double.
46 is a bit low for me with a 26' driven rear wheel. But I manage with that as my commuter. And that's with no motor. Its peasy with assist.
52/36 is standard compact, with a 11/28 rear cassette, so on a road bike you have down to a 36/28 as your bottom gear, you wont find roadies climbing hills in the 52! if they did the 36 would be pointless.

I max out peddling my 40/12 at about 25 mph (downhill) running a 46 you must be doing some low cadences with is bad for the knees. (motor unassisted)

on flat ground i am never out of the 40, but on my commute the 28 is very needed on the bigger hills i have to climb. 40/36 would not cut it at all.

krusher74

Jan 8, 2017
wales
Last page in the thread in my signature below you have a photo. I am running 42/32 and 11/32 7 speed on the back. You don't have to go to the USA, my spider came from precialps in France, because it weighs as much as two feathers the postage was a normal letter stamp!

great info thanks,

So this adaptor spider allows you to retain 2 front rings, (as you say you are running 42/32.)

http://precialps.com/uk/accessories-bafang-bbs01-bbs02/7-adapter-spider-bafang-bbs01-bbs02.html

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Describe your big hills: 3.4 km with spots at 10%? I use 42:32 very rarely assisted but have stalled the motor in the mountains. 42:26 when I am tired but mostly 42:21 and assistance level 3 of 5. When I had the 46 mounted I was using all the gears and assistance level 5.

I have ridden home without the motor and there I used the 32:32, a 23+ kg bike isn't easy to pedal when your lungs are shot! But I made it the whole 8 km... I lie I pushed up two hills. :oops:

Once you have the spider you can mount whatever you need.

krusher74

Jan 8, 2017
wales
Describe your big hills: 3.4 km with spots at 10%? I use 42:32 very rarely assisted but have stalled the motor in the mountains. 42:26 when I am tired but mostly 42:21 and assistance level 3 of 5. When I had the 46 mounted I was using all the gears and assistance level 5.

I have ridden home without the motor and there I used the 32:32, a 23+ kg bike isn't easy to pedal when your lungs are shot! But I made it the whole 8 km... I lie I pushed up two hills. :oops:

Once you have the spider you can mount whatever you need.

Good old GOOGLE Maps is wonderful thing, my commute is 2.8miles, on the way home it worst. In the first 1,5 miles nearly all up hill, a rise of 300ft, this averages out at 4%, but the first half of that i just crawl along in 28/32 (could push higher and go faster but i can do that gear and not be out of breath or sweat much) i would guess its .75 mile of 8to10% at the start.

With the double chain ring adaptor the problem is gone, I would expect the motor to pull what ever i wanted to do in the 40 to 12/32 (chain line dictates not using 36) and the 28 would be there is the battery/motor system failed.

I can buy bikes trade +vat though working in a bike shop so I could get a base model scott with the bosch system for about 1300/1400 or try the BBS001 on my current bike for about 650.

We have a test bike at work and the bosch system is very impressive the hills I do at about 4mph crawl I can get up at 15mph in turbo assist! and in eco it has a range approaching 80miles. the TQ sense assist is very smooth adding power as your legs slowly fail.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Good old GOOGLE Maps .....
We have a test bike at work and the bosch system is very impressive the hills I do at about 4mph crawl I can get up at 15mph in turbo assist! and in eco it has a range approaching 80miles. the TQ sense assist is very smooth adding power as your legs slowly fail.
That's the point. If you have electric assist you don't need the granny ring the big ring can do everything.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If I was running the GSM on a 26" bike I think I would have 46-32 on the front and an 8 speed 11-34 on the back. Looking to the future of the 28" I would just change the cassette for the same 8 speed and keep the front as it is or maybe go for just a narrow/wide 42.

Having the spider opens up all the options.