Gsm vs bbs01

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I'm a novice to bike conversion, would the GSM be as straight forward to fit as the Bbs01, the videos on YouTube make it look straight forward? Quality wise am I likely to regret getting the GSM and would I be better saving a bit more for the bbs01?
Do all batteries have the same fitting, or do I need to buy the battery from the same supplier? I need a rack battery.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The GSM fitting is identical to the BBS, I have got both which are the 18a versions and both unmodified. The GSM is more pokey then the BBS but the GSM I think has some small issues esp if you derestrict it. All I can say is the BBS01 is proven and very reliable, the GSM may be better as a motor unit only with an external controller or one of the battery combined controller units. The GSM comes with a specific water proof 2 part connector the tails can be joined/soldered to the battery supply wires so no issue to use with any battery.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Hi,

I had a chance to use my GSM last sunday,because my BBS01 had a temporary fault after nearly a year of use/abuse.The GSM kit had only one use since it was replaced under warranty from Woosh.Last sunday on the middle of the ride same error code 6,appeared again to my disappointment and so I turned it off and made me think I will have a proper workout at last,pedalling a heavy road bike back to Sunderland after 5 mins of pedalling I decided to try to turned the GSM as I have just crossed the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and about to tackle the climb to Tyne Rd to my amazement it turned on and I was saved.
This made me worried again about the reliabiity of GSM 250W kit,it has only done 30 miles appoximate ,since it was replaced I am worried too that it will go out of warranty and I have used it much.Has anyone having the same or any other issues since the Woosh started selling them last year.

Cheers.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Been using mine on and off since October. No real issues, just some annoyances that I've mentioned before, but then I've only done a couple of hundred miles in total, and the longest ride was probably only about 10 miles.

My biggest concern is that with my weight (a bit over 100 kg), the extra weight of the motor and battery, and the increased speed, it's eating v-brakes at quite a rate. Thinking about going to disc in the front.

Rabidebike

Just Joined
Aug 29, 2015
Hi,

I had a chance to use my GSM last sunday,because my BBS01 had a temporary fault after nearly a year of use/abuse.The GSM kit had only one use since it was replaced under warranty from Woosh.Last sunday on the middle of the ride same error code 6,appeared again to my disappointment and so I turned it off and made me think I will have a proper workout at last,pedalling a heavy road bike back to Sunderland after 5 mins of pedalling I decided to try to turned the GSM as I have just crossed the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and about to tackle the climb to Tyne Rd to my amazement it turned on and I was saved.
This made me worried again about the reliabiity of GSM 250W kit,it has only done 30 miles appoximate ,since it was replaced I am worried too that it will go out of warranty and I have used it much.Has anyone having the same or any other issues since the Woosh started selling them last year.

Cheers.
I had mine since Nov2015, after about 50miles and a downpour I checked all wiring for leaks, water etc. Cable exiting the motor was loose, so opened the motor case and tiewrapped the cable with some bathroom sealer round the hole. Now the motor locks solid as though a winding is shorted or disconnected. Andy at woosh sent a thumb-throttle that made no difference. So they have issues with the reliabilty of the electronics/controller methinks.
If they dont offer to replace the motor I'll try rewiring with a fleabay controller as it was nice to have the CDmotor driving via gears. Seemed to be less loaded and better torque.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
I had mine since Nov2015, after about 50miles and a downpour I checked all wiring for leaks, water etc. Cable exiting the motor was loose, so opened the motor case and tiewrapped the cable with some bathroom sealer round the hole. Now the motor locks solid as though a winding is shorted or disconnected. Andy at woosh sent a thumb-throttle that made no difference. So they have issues with the reliabilty of the electronics/controller methinks.
If they dont offer to replace the motor I'll try rewiring with a fleabay controller as it was nice to have the CDmotor driving via gears. Seemed to be less loaded and better torque.

I dont think I have any issues with water ingress or leaks as the controller acts up in dry weather,so I think your right the electronics on the GSM needs
a good sorting ,that is if Woosh and FarEast manufacturer is still not on the case.I hope they will soon provided a solution or an update to this faulty controller,it so unreliable.
I this fault happens continously I will be contacting dealer again.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Can anyone recommend me give me a link to a suitable reliable external luishi controller that will allow me to keep the LCD I have with the woosh gsm kit pleas ?

No issue- I just want one in stock !

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I opened mine yesterday and found mud and water ingress :(, one of the outer cables exiting the housing is short and not giving a very water tight entry/exit, tried a fix by packing some Shimano grease around the cable entry on the inside and once put together again used some sealant externally around the wire exit.
Today I rode 52 odd miles and the pas gave up totally :( after about 12 miles and the throttle worked ok then decided not to :( and then finally after riding 10 miles with no power the throttle worked again o_O. The main issue is the pas and believe it must be a sensor pick up or magnet issue with in the motor somewhere in the main body that houses the windings.

Debris removed from inside housing :eek:.
DSCF0295.JPG

Debris ingress on inside adj to wireing entry/exit. DSCF0294.JPG

Light corrosion showing on opposing hosing cover:(. DSCF0293.JPG

Total mileage approx 260 or about 7 rides worth just under £1 a mile.
Now I've opened it warranty is most likely void so next will be to remove circlip and remove the motor but will speak to Tony 1st. Otherwise if no luck will scrap it and plump for a 36v Q128c 201 with a 22a controller and run it at 10s and also at 12s which should give about 250/260rpm.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you ever want to get rid of scrap for a very reasonable price PM me. I will use an external PAS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Update.
I have been busy other wise so far today and I am off to work in another hour or so haven't had time to remove the gsm unit so will try tomorrow as only takes about 20 mins and then was going to take more pics of the cable entry causing the ingress issue.
However Woosh have already forwarded my pics to the manufacturer and have acted before I have spoken to them, Andrew is away at the mo so will need to deal with him but the motor may be replaced also think it best if the unit is sent back to Woosh so they or the manufacturer can inspect for why the pas has failed and the throttle issue.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
I've been testing mine today. It seems to cut out when it goes above 25kmh as expected, but then it doesn't start again until you stop pedalling and the speed drops below 25kmh. If the speed drops below 25kmh but I'm still pedalling its doesn't kick in again. Has anyone else found this?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are allowed to increase the speed up to 17mph (28km/h).
If you use the throttle after it's dropped below the set speed limit, does the motor kick back in again?

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I assume that you're talking about the GSM kit and yes, mine does that. I got around it by increasing the maximum speed to something a bit higher.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
you are allowed to increase the speed up to 17mph (28km/h).
If you use the throttle after it's dropped below the set speed limit, does the motor kick back in again?
Will play with the throttle next time, will increasing the max speed make it illegal on the road and will it hurt the battery?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
power going through the battery depends very much on speed. 17mph is not huge for the battery and still within 10% of legal speed limit.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
Is 10% allowed? According to my catseye computer 15mph on GSM display is only actually 13mph!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
up the speed limit a little and keep an eye on your catseye to see how the bike goes and how you feel. As long as you are not intentionally breaking law, I don't see anything wrong.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Will play with the throttle next time, will increasing the max speed make it illegal on the road and will it hurt the battery?
I found that the problem was worst on slightly undulating roads. The motor would help me to get up to 15 mph on an uphill bit, but then when I went a bit faster because the gradient had levelled off, the motor cut out. Increasing the speed limit didn't actually make me go any faster; it just meant that when I next came to an uphill bit the motor would cut in and help. I suppose that a higher max speed setting is technically illegal, but it's the actual speed you're going at that will attract attention.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:cool: Best CS in the country if not the world, replacement GSM is on it's way and is due tomorrow.