Gsm vs bbs01

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is 10% allowed? According to my catseye computer 15mph on GSM display is only actually 13mph!
There is a tolerance - I can no longer find the legal text stating it - of 10%. Your problem is not using that tolerance, it is incorrect speed showing on the LCD. You need to set your cut off speed to real 15 mph + or - 10%. If you set to 17 mph on your LCD and you are really doing only 15 mph you are totally within the law. Cars have the same problem, my GF's Yaris is pessimistic to the order of 8 km/h - 70 km/h on the dial and 62 kmh on the GPS.

jnny6168

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2016
I did start a post earlier in the month after I installed the GSM kit and experienced the same problems would not cut back in unless stopped pedaling. I then increased the speed to 30 KHM and checked connections problem went away no problems on 20 mile ride.

I was concerned about battery usage so set speed back to 25 and problem started again. so I take it the kit is better set to slightly higher speed limit.

I went for a 11Ah battery kit thinking I would get about 30 miles range which would be more than enough for me. However after 23 mile ride on a cycle track and bit of road work power set to 3 no throttle use and 3 hills about 200metres long where i used PAS 6 got home and it is down to one bar. even though not been working correctly

My wife has a Batribike storm with Hub motor and uses her pas on higher level done same trip and her 10 AH battery has only used 1 bar

has anyone else found battery usage is high? I did shorten the Battery wires so I could tuck them up inside the battery holder to make neat job. I will check to make sure connections are all good there after reading someone elses comments

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you read above in this thread it seems that the motor is pulling over 18 Amps so it will be using more battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@jnny6168 - try to stay to below 15mph, you should get the range you want. It does not matter to set higher speed limit.
battery usage depends largely on speed, as the air resistance is proportional to speed to the cube (V*V*V). at 12-13mph, power consumption is about 6wh/mile, helped by humans contributing a bigger proportion to power need, at 15mph, 10wh/mile and at 20mph, 20wh/mile. The simplest way to compare is to ride with someone else, keeping to the same speed.

Last edited:

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Hi Trex

I Have set the speed to 25 KPH and found i have problems again with PAS not kicking in. My average speed for the trip was 10.8 MPh so not going escessivley fast and I was flowing my wife all the way

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can set the speed limit a bit higher to avoid the motor cutting out, that won't affect the battery consumption. When you come home, note down the time it takes to recharge your battery. You could do the same with your wife's bike. The longer it takes for the charger to go green, the more battery the trip has consumed. If your battery takes longer to recharge than your wife's, then your GSM kit consumes more than the Batribike.
Your battery has 11.6AH capacity, it will take about 5 hours 40 minutes to charge from 0% left to 100% full. Knowing how long it takes to recharge for the trip, you can extrapolate how far you can go before the battery runs totally flat.

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Thanks Trex

Does the battery need charging over night first time you charge it like some other Lithon Batteries they say first charge longer. I will do what you say put the speed up a little so the PA works correctly and then I can adjust PAS as and when i require it.
I am really happy with the kit way it fits and is really good on hills etc, just little worried about the battery usage

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Just Thinking about what you were saying Trex
The first time I used the bike I did 7 Miles and had problems with PAS not kicking in (did not charge battery before next day)
Next day set speed to 30KPH and did 16 miles no problems and had 3 bars left on battery
Charged Battery & reset the speed to 25 KPH and did exaclty same trip as my second day 16 miles plus an extra 7 in afternoon. PAS not working correctly and battery down to 1 bar.
both trips same milage and same kind of hills.
Therefore in theory hopefully setting speed so PAS works correctly will give me better battery life. As when set to higher speed I spent alot more time freewheeling

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have any of you tried setting the speed to 27 kph (within the legal 10% difference)? Would be interesting to know if PAS works at that speed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
jnny6168, can you look into the time it takes to recharge the battery? knowing the distance travelled and time to recharge, it'll easy work out consumption and the range. Your battery should cope with 2C, 23A. The life of the battery depends on speed, because the maximum current is higher when the motor works harder, so keep it under 23A. Best to set limit around 17mph-18mph.

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
I have charged the Battery last night but went out and when i came back it was green so dont know how long it took but when I use it at weekend I will time it.

Answer to second question no I haven't set the speed to 27KPH was going to do that later see it works if not will set in 1 incriments until it does. will let you know

All do know it works brillantly at 30KPH

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it should not matter much where you set the speed limit as far as you want to know about battery consumption. I would just jot down all the travel distances until next recharge then see how long it take to recharge.
Roughly, it should be 6 miles for each hour your charger stays on red.

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Hi Trex I will check that out

the thing about setting the speed to 27KPH was to see if the PAS kicks in correctly as when set to 25 it does not I have to wait and stop pedaling. When I set it to 30kph it works fine kicks in every time.

I just wanted to change speed as low possible so the PAS works correctly

once that is working correctly at lowest speed setting I can work out what range I am going to get.

I assume When it is not working correctly the battery range drops as I have to use the motor alot more to recover speed I have lost as it hasnt kicked in

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
correct. Battery consumption is lowest when the motor noise is quietest.

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Hi just to let you know if I set the speed to 27kph it works well and power assist kicks in as it should so happy so going to leave it there
I will take bike out tomorrow afternoon and do a trip then work out how long it takes to charge back up so I can get to work out mileage range

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Now put bike away and noticed motor had dropped again, i tightened it up after first ride and again now as motor had dropped. I notice on the kit photos there is a rear bracket that sits on the frame to stop it rotating has this been done away with.? As it wasn't in my kit

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
Hi Trex
I had i quick look last night
when I put it together I loosely put everything in place and then did the allen key bolts up finger tight then same with first nut then tightened everything up after . that was my error!
I undid the nuts last night leaving the allen keys tight and the plate sprang back. now showing clearly I need a spacer on crank side so it will do up correctly.

I will be ringing up later for a spacer I think I read you can supply

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
my knowledge is superficial I am afraid. You have to ask Andy@woosh.

Last edited:

jnny6168

Feb 14, 2016
On page 6 of the guide it shows a picture of the Washer they can supply to move things over so chain lines up. I need this so I can tighten up the bracket correctly. be really good idea to have one in the kit anyway so people can use it if they need it.

as the motor has dropped it is now tight against the frame and motor so wont go anywhere. but I was bit concerned about putting extra presssure on the casing. the nuts are still very tight and you need bit of force to move it back into position away from casing and just done up nuts bit more ( or is it designed to rest against casing ? not clear in fixing guide)

Last edited: