Gsm vs bbs01

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Reactions: DuncanDK

DuncanDK

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
Excellent, do I just plug this in between battery and motor and let it register the use that flows through it?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Excellent, do I just plug this in between battery and motor and let it register the use that flows through it?
No there is a bit of soldering involved. Search d8veh 's posts for 'watt meter' and he describes the wiring somewhere.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes, just plug it in between battery and controller. The information is stored in the device, so you don't need it on the handlebars. IIRC the information stored is:

Volts min
Amps max
Watts max
Wh total
Ah total

You only need to do the wiring mods if you want to on the handlebars.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My ride today was 60 mlies, previously my GSM use has been des restricted with kmh cut off speed set to the max and range seems to have suffered so today I reset this to 32kmh cut off assist. Today I practically followed the same route as I used with BBS Cube the only diff was an extra 5 miles added. My first battery got me 38 miles but add in the factor of chillier conditions and 20 miles of boggy,slipper harsh terrain against the 45 miles I managed on the BBS in slightly milder conditions and in dry good firm conditions. Range then is not to bad however I didn't fair well when I swapped over batteries my 2nd one only managed 22/23 miles so looks to be under performing and needs to be opened. Intermittently on 3 or 4 occasions the GSM did not deliver power properly whether this was due to the copious amount of mud and water I went through I don't know so will check all connections to see if there was any water ingress and the bottom of the unit where the cables exit, other wise I was pleased with its performance.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I am starting to think 20a constant isn't enough for this kit

We need someone with a gsm and a cycle analyst to confirm/deny

DaveD

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2015
Hi, this is my first post on here, I have been looking to get an ebike since our holiday in Germany this year ( the place is swarming with them !) I have tried a Kalkhoff at home but I think there may have been a faulty motor as under moderate load it made quite a loud whirring noise which detracted from the pleasure of the ride, so I returned it. I am now thinking of a kit solution
Now my queries are:
1. How noisy are these units
2. Are there problems changing gear as per other Whoosh CD's
3. Would hub gears ( Nexus) stand up to one of these mid drive units?

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I have a GSM kit fitted to a bike with a Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub gear. The gears seem to handle the power fine. You do need to release the chain tension (ease off the pedalling) to allow the gears to change, but that's the same without assist. There's a slight whine from the motor, but that's usually masked by the wind and tyre noise. Certainly much quieter than the lafree twist I used to have.

Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have now removed the 09 cradle form the Mtrax GSM and done some wiring mods for lipo. Under static test 10s and 12s lipo both work fine with the 36v system, on the road the 10s with lcd set to 32km/h max topped out at 22.2 mph on a 10.5 mile blast around town this evening so I'm hopeful on a range test of 25 - 30 miles. Next ride out will be to see how it performs with 12s.
In total I have 12 soft case packs made up to give me 3 x 10s @ 10.4ah with 10c discharge rate
all for £200 from HK and a 350W 30a PSU and BC168 off Fleabay for a bargain £24 recently all this partly offset by me clearing £170 by selling bike parts on Fleabay over the last 14 days.
Next I need to do the same with my F/S Cube BBS01 mtb, but by the sounds of it on ES 12s may not work.

2 twin packs are run in series then in parallel to give 10.4ah, series and parallel leads not shown.
All these packs were quite good and all came at a storage charge of between 3.8 & 3.83 per cell.
DSCF0266.JPG
Outer case made up from twin wall Correx sheet bound in Duck tape and stick on Velcro to keep packs in situ. My Correx comes from road side signs that never seem to get picked up when resurfacing is finished weeks after or old polling signs.
DSCF0264.JPG

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have now removed the 09 cradle form the Mtrax GSM and done some wiring mods for lipo. Under static test 10s and 12s lipo both work fine with the 36v system, on the road the 10s with lcd set to 32km/h max topped out at 22.2 mph on a 10.5 mile blast around town this evening so I'm hopeful on a range test of 25 - 30 miles.
How much help were you giving at that speed?

I am still too scared of lipos to go down that path, especially charging them in my nice wooden appartement building built in the 1890's...

I am looking at the deep discharge Li-Ion shrink wrap packs from BMS - either 15 or 20 A problem is no-name cells.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gearing is 46 x 36/12, 18/19 was fairly easy peddling but had to be a bit more furious for 22 mph, a road style bike with thinner tyres and higher gearing would give more. I will give 12s ago but the 10s felt pretty pokey the torque felt much better then my 09, 18 - 20 is a nice speed to travel however if I want more it is easy to derestrict to go 25+. 10s with 10c discharge in parallel gives me plenty so as not to worry about amps draw, though am waiting for a watt meter so I can monitor usage better currently relying on lvc alarms.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
When using lipo itsbest to charge to 4.1v or even 4.15 rather than 4.2v as this greatly increases cycle life.
There is very little energy in that last little bit anyway.
Another thing I have found is that if I dont discharge below 3.6v I never have to balance my packs.
Once I go below this they start to wander a bit.
You need a wattmeter to keep an eye on this and I recommend the GT power meter. Plenty on ebay and cheap enough.
Those cheap blue ones are a waste of time as they are so inaccurate and I have never had one last longer than 3 months on the bikes.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
a little off topic, but here is a new Woosh bike based on the GSM. This one uses a Lishui controller integrated into the battery case and a GSM without internal controller. The LCD is King Meter.
Most noticeable is the very neat wiring, all hidden inside the downtube.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
a little off topic, but here is a new Woosh bike based on the GSM. This one uses a Lishui controller integrated into the battery case and a GSM without internal controller. The LCD is King Meter.
Most noticeable is the very neat wiring, all hidden inside the downtube.

Trex, out of interest does the external controller pull as many amps as the 18a. Internal one in the kit please ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd say no. Although the label says 18A, the King Meter + Lishui combo feels less powerful. It was fairly windy, difficult to judge though.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have you tried the motor with 16 or 17 Amps? Putting range over and above performance.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, I agree. They seem to want to prioritize range with the feedback from customers. I've only tried the GSM with the 20A kits (36V and 48V) from bmsbattery.com and with internal controller. This bike is the first one fitted with Lishui controller. It was windy yesterday, I've got up to about 20mph without pedalling and 23mph with pedalling, nowhere near Nealh's speed with the internal controller.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes I am betting that Lishui controller is a 12-15 Amp and EN15194 compliant one. The speed is very good news and logical, most 250 W motors have a top speed somewhere around 32 km/h.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't forget the near 30mph I got with the int controller model was unrestricted, with it set to 32km/h 22mph was a good speed on mtb with knobbly's. I do wonder how many amps it is pulling when unrestricted because as I have mentioned my two 14.5ah Samsung celled Woosh 09's are now basically crap, no use for 80 mile off road longer rides now but usable locally for 40 - 50 miles but sag like anything. Another thing I noticed again the other day the intergrated GSM was hesitant at delivering power on a few occasions and had to manually toggle the pas levels up and down to get power and better response from the motor, the ext controller with the motor only may be better option.

Reactions: trex