Has anyone heard of or tried Toseven mid drive?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not directly the same picture, but at the left side between the red lines you can see the minimum gap between case cover and motor (about the size of the screwhead). Not to speak about the other (controller) side

View attachment 51437

But even more important there is a gap from about 2mm at the mounting side.
This one you can fill with an aluminium heatsink plate or thermopads as described in the Tsdz2 wiki.
Thank you elinx for the explanation and the wiki link.

This picture is from the wiki and may be useful for those wanting better heat dissipation for their TSDZ2: using thermopads as thermal bridges to the outer case:

Please note those pictures are of the TSDZ2.

@alexfnoble do you have a picture like the one immediately above? That will show us the comparative location of your new motor and controller.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
TSDZ2:

DM-01:

elinx, can you help pointing out the differences?
the air gap between the motor and the rim of the platine seems to be smaller on the DM-01 but it's difficult to work out how much from the new angle.,

alexfnoble

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2023
TSDZ2:

DM-01:

elinx, can you help pointing out the differences?
the air gap between the motor and the rim of the platine seems to be smaller on the DM-01 but it's difficult to work out how much from the new angle.,
Sorry if i have caused confusion
This is not a picture of our motor

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry if i have caused confusion
This is not a picture of our motor
OK, that answered my last question but when can we see the inside of your motors alex?

Ben.ouze

Just Joined
Apr 8, 2023
Man it's like the Toseven guys have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder :D ! ! I vote we crowdfund to send them Ritalin!
Great, another troll.
Really, it is OK to mocking mental health here ?
How far you go... disability make you laugh too ?

• Agree
Reactions: jimriley

AJ_P

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's available now. all you have to do is order it:
Thanks, saneagle.

I need to see some in depth reviews first and whether it can be bought cheaper elsewhere. It's a lot of money to spend on an as yet unknown quantity, especially when I am presently about to convert another bike as well. Time will tell the tale though.

Regards,

AJ

AJ_P

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Give me a day or two please to confirm sales
Staff in china are just getting back to work tomorrow after a few days public holiday.

In terms on the DM-01 the first in-depth review is likely to be published on the "high voltage" YouTube channel the guys over there are known for reviews putting motors through their paces and they also do external controller kits for some motors.
Thanks Alex, ...will do. I look forward to hearing from you and will also keep an eager eye on that channel for their review. If anyone else comes out with a review that you are aware of please do let us know.

Regards,

AJ

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
In terms on the DM-01 the first in-depth review is likely to be published on the "high voltage" YouTube channel the guys over there are known for reviews putting motors through their paces and they also do external controller kits for some motors.
You mean those monotonous boring dough faced guys wearing beanie hats with eyes like runny eggs who stare at the camera talking and talking surrounded by flashing titles? Are there other reviews in the pipeline? I can't go through that again.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gaby1123

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Great, another troll.
Really, it is OK to mocking mental health here ?
How far you go... disability make you laugh too ?
hello Ben. Noboby on this thread trolls anyone. Alex can't produce any more information that we are asking for about his products. I don't think other places have received any more info than we have.
Elinx is very clued up about the Tongsheng, blacklike will soon receive his so it won't be a very long wait for the reviews to come out.
The real reasons are unknown to us. That could be late revisions, it could be the firmware is not ready, there are many possible reasons. It would have been better if Alex told us why he can't let us know more so this thread would not have become a PR disaster for toseven but I appreciate that Alex has a difficult job to do, so let's wait until he's good and ready.
By discussing in depth the weaknesses of the TSDZ2 upon which the DM-02 is based makes both the TSDZ2B and the DM-02 look suspect to potential buyers. The Bafang BBS01B is the real winner here.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
About that very short badly written review on ES, why only 10 minutes? Are Toseven motors coin operated?

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why I like the new torque sensor in the DM-02?

1. the coils (16,17 on the diagram) are much smaller.
2. The Hall sensor is replaced by a strain gauge (17), that should not suffer from stray magnetic field and give a more stable output.
One weakness of the TSDZ2 torque sensor that is still not fixed is the sensor can't give an output until some time after the shaft moves so the controller is not ready until some time after you start pedalling.

Beside the torque sensor, there are two extra ballbearings (9, 35), they should help reducing the play and flex in the shaft. I would have liked to see an ISIS instead of square taper.

Last edited:
Reactions: elinx

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
About that very short badly written review on ES, why only 10 minutes? ....
I have copy/past that review on ES, because I thought it could be usefull for some if I summarize in short I had read on the different fora I know.
I have mentioned the sources too, so if you want to read the complete story, I propose to join that place (discord).

Just 10 minutes, because that person has modified the BB of his bikeframe the wrong way and hadn't used the right tools to secure the 1000W DM-01 (which is equal to the BBSHD with Torquesensor)
If you run such a powerfull motor unsecured it will rotate (as we know with Tsdz2 too)
Because he had not grinded away enough, the motorcase cracked with first use.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lenny

kwpe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2022
With apologies to those hoping to read about Toseven, here's a French firm 'improving' the Tongsheng.

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
why I like the new torque sensor in the DM-02?
One weakness of the TSDZ2 torque sensor that is still not fixed is the sensor can't give an output until some time after the shaft moves so the controller is not ready until some time after you start pedalling......
That is solved with OSF. With stock FW you need some rotation before the
motor kicks in.
With OSF that minimum rotation curve is already 4x reduced, but also the influence of the PAS sensor is reduced at the start with the "boost" function.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With apologies to those hoping to read about Toseven, here's a French firm 'improving' the Tongsheng.
yay!

• :D
Reactions: flecc

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
I tried to see what these improvements are, but this stays a secret
imho they refer to EN15194, so I think they will use other FW and maybe the same controller as Enerprof Germany, which is also EN15194, non flashable and no speed adjustment possible.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I tried to see what these improvements are, but this stay secret
I am interested to know if the gearbox is made in France.

elinx

Pedelecer
May 2, 2023
€1,200 for the VirVolt kit.
If they have done real mechanical improvement..... cooling, shaft, bearings and minimize tolerances.
But as said this is unknown.