Help please, TSDZ2 problem...

jpl83

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2019
After 1 year of good job my TSDZ provides an erratic assistance.OK, Nothing, OK after a while ...
I suspect also the speed sensor, even if the screen shows stable and coherent values
With my version, an old one, I am obliged to connect the speed sensor. I choose no speed limit in the configuration
I have a new controller with the opensource software waiting on my desk but I hesitate to try it in such circonstances ...

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
After fruitless talks with the seller in china I decided to take mine apart and reconfigure the base settings for the torque sensor. I now have a base reading of about 45 and a max reading of 90 (though I don't think it matters what the base reading is - just that you have a good spread between no pressure and standing on the pedals).
Despite my worries that I might break the sensor, its now working very well indeed and provides a good spread of power (even in standard 250W power mode) without cutting out like it used to. I'd recommend to anyone having problems with power cutting in and out during a normal pedal rotation.

Its possible to do without breaking the warranty sticker (although I needed to completely disassemble to work out how to do it) as long as you can get into the secret menu for the live torque reading though you would need to follow a slightly different method to the one in the chinese service manual (remove the entire pedal shaft then the controller)

Reactions: Woosh

jpl83

Oct 10, 2019
What do you mind by "reconfigure the base settings"
What did you change ?

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
There are some magnets in the torque sensor that can be moved to a different position. The general process I followed is here:

Its worth reading through the manual as well (https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/blob/master/TSDZ2 REPAIR MANUAL.pdf)
to understand the process of disassembly. The most difficult part is reassembly as you need to have patience to push the sensor back in whilst not disturbing it.

Its not difficult but it does require a certain level of mechanical confidence to work through and needs certain less common tools (circlip pliers/mallet) to perform.

I haven't installed the custom firmware - it is possible to do the same thing with the torque sensor setting in the VLCD5 (rE and rE1). If you can't access those menu options for whatever reason, its a non starter I'm afraid as small changes in position can make big changes in sensor reading.

jpl83

Oct 10, 2019
Thanks a lot.
As access to controller and torque sensor are independant, I go on with the change of the controller
If the problem is still there I shall plunge in mechanic ..
At rest my sensor shows 96 ; I can get 160/180 when pushing the pedal (I am french, sorry for all the approximations)

Reactions: Nothing2SeeHere

TnT

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2019
Hi guys,

I've installed TSDZ2, made 260 km, no issues until today.

Today the engine did not engage. I put the bike on the stand, removed the crank and chain and put the throttle working.
The motor behaves erratically, when the throttle is put to maximum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10FQ9Pc ... p=drivesdk

TE and TE1 value are at 104.

I've contacted psw power store (no reply yet).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have no experience with the tsdz but one thing you shouldn't be doing is applying full throttle with a faulty motor or controller.

phm2000

Oct 27, 2019
Hi

I have a problem, no more assistance after 20 km with a new TSDZ2 motor

Walk assist is OK
Throttle is OK

On hidden menu, RE is at 0 and RE1 is at 0

What's the problem ?

Thanks

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The motor is set for uk spec and cuts out at 25 kph the pedal effort required increases its not in the hidden menu what display have you fitted check the setting for wheel size etc

phm2000

Oct 27, 2019
I can see that on a VLCD5 with simultaneous "on" an " +" button during 10 seconds and then 4 times on "i"
I saw "RE" should be at 78-80...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see that on a VLCD5 with simultaneous "on" an " +" button during 10 seconds and then 4 times on "i"
I saw "RE" should be at 78-80...
those values are factory preset. If you have not changed them, then your problem isn't there.
Lift the wheel up, change to gear 7, use the throttle to check the speed limit.
If it's not what you have set, then check the spoke magnet. It needs to be about 10mm from the speed sensor.
If the spoke magnet is too close, it will register ghost pulses.

phm2000

Oct 27, 2019
Hi

Speed sensor is ok, motor cuts at speed limit. When I pedals with hand, motor works but on bike with feet it doesn't work.

Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
next check:
sit on the bike, squeeze both brakes, push on the pedals.
You should feel and hear where the torque sensor hits the stop. There is a tiny 'click' sound.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's normal, the controller needs to wait for the bike to move before starting the motor.
All I need to know is that your legs are strong enough to get a click on pushing down on the pedals.

To get the best out of a torque sensor motor, you need two things:

- you can push on the pedal with about 40-50NM
- relatively high cadence. Best is above 80RPM

What is your cadence? I can calculate the maximum speed from your cadence.

The TSDZ2 is capable of delivering about 500W, to get that, you need to input at least 25% of the output or 125W for maximum output.
It can be knackering to some riders after a few minutes.

phm2000

Oct 27, 2019
The motor stoped after 20km riding without any on-off on VLCD5. Before it was ok.
For testing :
I pushed very hard on pedals but no click, no assist
With hand the motors goes but very smooth like walk assist
With leg, no assist, but when I stop I can ear motor at 3-4 km/h before stopping
With throttle, it's ok
Walk assist is ok

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
after 20km riding, what is the level of the battery indicator? one bar gone? or two bars gone when the motor stops?