Help! HELP with QR ON EBIKE

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which would I need? Is it the thin steel or the thick steel?
Measure the one you have, double check with the seller - if you pay using Paypal, they will nearly always side with the buyer and issue a refund.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But if your dropouts are too worn, a new ratcheting QR might not sit straight when tighetend up, unless you add thick washers as mathewslack suggested in #10.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 100x5mm one you cant use thru axles on dropouts as the other end screws in to the frame.

Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho from the pics of those drop outs id say it is done its just worn to much and will just get worse as the motor axle is not even in the drop out and just sitting on the mech hanger and that is only held on with one bolt and if that falls out the motor will fall out the frame and big crash.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
tho from the pics of those drop outs id say it is done its just worn to much and will just get worse as the motor axle is not even in the drop out and just sitting on the mech hanger and that is only held on with one bolt and if that falls out the motor will fall out the frame and big crash.
Holy sh*t :eek: in that case Abzy should hold onto his money...

Mind you, it does look to me like the motor on that side is resting on the frame dropout:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thing is that qr might work or make it better but it wont be enough to bend the back of the frame over the motors axle 5mm so just not sitting on the mech hanger one side but both are worn so much id not risk it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
thing is that qr might work or make it better but it wont be enough to bend the back of the frame over the motors axle 5mm so just not sitting on the mech hanger one side but both are worn so much id not risk it.
Even if QR held tight enough, those dropouts might be so worn, that the wheel may not sit straight? That motor axle seems a bit short - is that usual for hub motors, or does he have the wrong one for the bike?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only thing that side in the drop out is the 5mm qr axle the motor axle is in the mech hanger as can see the spring in between and why it is destroying the drop outs moving about as steal wins vs alu frames and mech hangers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would buy a used frame and transfer all the components over.
Over the years I have done this a few times and is cheaper then buying a whole bike.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Can
the only thing that side in the drop out is the 5mm qr axle the motor axle is in the mech hanger as can see the spring in between and why it is destroying the drop outs moving about as steal wins vs alu frames and mech hangers.
Can I not use the bolt on way? Because I some how fixed it but still doesn't feel safe when going over bumps like I can feel it wobble a bit I've also saw people use steel putty or shall I go to a welding shop and maybe they can add some more aluminium on the dropouts? Or what's the best solution for this please.Let me know thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Can
Can I not use the bolt on way? Because I some how fixed it but still doesn't feel safe when going over bumps like I can feel it wobble a bit I've also saw people use steel putty or shall I go to a welding shop and maybe they can add some more aluminium on the dropouts? Or what's the best solution for this please.Let me know thanks
you cant ride it like that the frame drop outs are totaled and can not be fixed you need a new frame that fits the hub motor axle better.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So many threads are confusing - so you filed your droputs for a hub motor, but now have installed a BBS HD instead and removed the hub motor, but your rear wheel drops out because of the filing that you did, and you can no longer tighten the QR axle enough to keep it on?

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
So many threads are confusing - so you filed your droputs for a hub motor, but now have installed a BBS HD instead and removed the hub motor, but your rear wheel drops out because of the filing that you did, and you can no longer tighten the QR axle enough to keep it on?
Correct but ever since I put the clamp on the hanger side the wheel stopped falling out and it's now secure but I would like it to be more secured down and I've changed the skewers spring and it looks like it seemed to done the job but I really wanna make it really secure that it will never fall of again

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You've also said this:

Because I some how fixed it but still doesn't feel safe when going over bumps like I can feel it wobble a bit
I don't think it's safe, especially as it's a BBS HD - it'll ultimately get you and/or someone else inured or killed IMHO. I'd stop using it completely and do as Nealh advised in post #29! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
You've also said this:

I don't think it's safe, especially as it's a BBS HD - it'll get you and/or someone else inured or killed IMHO. I'd stop using it completely and do as Nealh advised in post #29! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
It doesn't feel scary to ride or anything just when I ride the bike ever since I bought it It's always been wobbling a bit I thought that was normal? But I'm saying how do I remove this wobble as it's now getting a bit annoying

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why is the qr on the cassette side you got it the wrong way round lol

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
why is the qr on the cassette side you got it the wrong way round lol
Just swapped them around now seems really secure but I still want something to make it really hold down even though they are stuck on really tight now but I really just want something other than these skewers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the rear frame has drop outs there is not much you can really do as thru axles screw in to the frame.